1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ty Lawson Waived

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Mar 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

This team is a complete mess.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Probably, but that has nothing to do with cutting a bad player.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ty Lawson will clear waivers on Thursday evening. Because of the size of his salary he is not eligible to be claimed.</p>&mdash; Bobby Marks (@BobbyMarks42) <a href="https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/704754298081546240">March 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Anybody know how much Rockets saved?

5. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

This is more about recovering from the rescinded DMo trade than Ty's performance, I think.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">No need to buy him out if Detroit trade goes through. This was about $$ savings and creating a roster spot. <a href="https://t.co/V9mVae3ibP">https://t.co/V9mVae3ibP</a></p>&mdash; ClutchFans (@clutchfans) <a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans/status/704751631091372032">March 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It would've been nice to keep him as insurance, I agree... and I'm guessing we would have if the Pistons trade had gone through. But with the season on its current path, I'm also not sure what we'd be insuring. A 4-game playoff run? :(

6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

The way we used Lawson and the way he used his minutes, he has not been a positive on this team. I liked the idea of keeping him because I still had unrealistic hope that he'd figure it out here but this just wasn't going to work for either party.

I think he finds success in New York or Miami this season. we aren't worse than before without Lawson, but we aren't better either.

We have no ball handler on this team except Harden, who is on pace to break the all time turnover record.Lawson was supposed to be the second but he could neither play off Harden nor find a way to stay confident enough to run a second unit. If something good comes out of this year (meaning a playoff series win) there will be movies based on them.

I predict a 1 v 8 matchup vs. the Warriors where we lose in 5. This is our worst case scenario and it appears to be the most likely.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Morey getting back in Les' s good graces.

9. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Curious to hear what Cyberx and Codman are hearing right now.

10. varughese.arun

Ty Lawson is proof that, sometimes, some people do better in some situations when they are not sober. I wonder if he is truly suffering from some sort of mental disorder like depression, and was self medicating with alcohol and other drugs to overcome. I wonder if he ever had a psych consult. All the best to you Ty.

11. OTMax

OTMax Member

Great news! This guy was just used in a wrong way, which was on the coaches and partly on Harden. We saw in the first pre-season game how it could've worked. Both passed to each other, took turns to penetrate and kick it out. We didn't see much of it after that. My guess is with our system it was forced upon Harden when he was out there with Ty to make it work. When it just wouldn't, Harden stopped trusting him and Ty became more timid. It was a cycle that only became worse. In the end, Ty just seemed hesitant to make any sort of basketball move. Glad he's gone.

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Cyberx has been basically gone since right before the trade deadline. I'm sure he has a great amount of insight that he's not allowed to share. These past two weeks have been the biggest mess for the Rockets since the Bosh debacle.

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

If he ever "turned on", this team might have been contenders. I'm talking about the creating and penetrating abilities that put him just a notch below Chris Paul. That would in effect help the Rockets on defense as well, since wear out the opposition on offense. But things never panned out. Sux

14. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Nope, its the truth...Harden flourishes with the ball in his hands. We gambled and unfortunately Ty just didn't work out with us. He'll be a beast somewhere else

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

It isn't really, its lazy as hell.

Lawson has not been good, with or without Harden.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I really don't blame Les. Not at all. If you were the owner of this team would you want to pay extra for this crap?

I can barely watch the team honestly, it's cringe worthy. I'd be doing whatever I could to save money from this mess.

17. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Can we also waive/buyout Brewer and Jones?

18. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I'm one who had doubts from the start about how Harden and Ty would co-exist, but I admit I always thought we could just bring him off the bench if the pairing wasn't ideal. He has been awful even without Harden on the court, and that part is baffling to me.

19. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

FIFY :)

20. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Not sure about this. Lawson wasn't good off the bench, with or without Harden. I really have no idea how he fell off so fast, one of the most drastic, unforeseen declines in recent memory.