1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ty Lawson on trading block

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Dec 18, 2015.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Fegan is not Lawson's agent. Happy Walker is.

fwiw: Happy is Brewer's agent, too. The guy who got Morey to give Brewer $8m/yr

2. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

All this team needs are a couple of good shooters and it will change everything. This team misses alot of open 3s.

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

I don't think Bledsoe and Harden would work. Both are heavy ISO guys.

Brandon knight would be a better fit, as would Dragic or Llull.

4. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

usually its the other way around. this time morey got "morey'd"

5. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Agreed.

Signed by,
    Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson

6. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

I'm starting to see some good things from Lawson. He needs to reserve his expectations to the bench, but I think he might be able to make a difference in the playoffs. DMo with game legs and back in the starting lineup a few weeks from now will make a huge difference for the Rox.

-rcketsfan1

7. malakas

malakas Member

Well from what Woj said it seems that Morrey really tried to , but couldn't find smth he liked but Lawson wants out so his agents were brought in. They leaked this story to see if they can get a team either to make an offer, OR to improve their offer.
    It also shows that he and his agents have enough leverage to ask/demand a trade and that Lawson wanting OUT has been going on for a while, to get to the point of Morrey giving up and tell the agents to go find a deal themselves. More than a week most likely.

Lawson has realised that with such perfomance and playing time he made a dire mistake to unguaranteed his contract and now has gotten adamant to leave.

Its just hard to get back 12 mil in expiring contracts when the players you trade has off the court problems and is playing like crap.

8. malakas

malakas Member

It's not a challenge of a lifetime. Not like wanting to find a good fit next to Kanter that there is only ONE single player in the whole league who can hide him.
    It's not so hard to detect good fits. There are a few who can 100% fit next to Harden.
    George Hill being the absolutely perfect fit, and then A.Bradley.
    Brandon Knight is another.(esp since this year has been playing even more off the ball).
    Khris Middleton is another slightly lesser fit.

Another imo is Langston Galloway but who will need some more grooming.
    Marcus Smart in the future( if he can improve his outside shooting). Perhaps Dante Exum in 2 years in the future would be a good fit next to the current Harden.
    And ofc the likes of Klay Thompson and Jimmy Butler.
    But all of them will cost serious assets to get their teams enough incentive to trade them.

Because 3+D guards who can also handle the ball and playmake is a rarity.
    But it's not like they dont' exist.

9. malakas

malakas Member

(Gallo is not like the rest he is costing at least 2 mid firsts).

I understand what you saying even though McConell has problems running a team BUT you forget who is the GM now. If it was 2 months ago it would be different now with Okafor's repeatedly off the court issues most of them involving him going out and getting underage drunk , and Hinkie's fall from power this is a NON STARTER.
    Lawson will never go to Philly's lockeroom right now.

10. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Please tell me where did you see good things from Lawson ??

11. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Right, i find it hilarious how when Rockets get off to hot starts this season mostly against La...when they hit the threes they look high and mighty, basically covering up all of their faults. But when they forget how to shoot when they are not playing La, they resemble dleague..

12. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Seems as if Lawson never wanted to be here. It's strange he became garbage overnight.
    I don't see any team giving us any quality in return without more garbage. I say let him rot on the bench.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I am completely shocked about how utterly inconsequential he has been on offense. He's never aggressive, and a lot of the shots he does take look like afterthoughts.

14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Woops!

15. basketballholic

I agree with Batman. Lawson is tight from playing without alcohol. You can tell his demeanor on court has changed. He doesn't have that "force it down the opponents throat and make then have to deal with me" attitude.

Combine being tight with being in a system that has him out of place and this is where we are.

Here is Dan Fegan's client list.
    http://basketball.realgm.com/info/agent-client-list/Dan-Fegan/10

By the way, in the tug-of-war that is the player agents world, Happy Walters left Relativity Sports in October and it appears Dan Fegan took his place as president. So Fegan and Walters are no longer attached at the hip and I'm sure that Lawson is being pulled on by Fegan as well as Walters.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenheitner/2015/10/07/relativity-sports-happy-walters/

Here's Happy Walters client list.
    http://basketball.realgm.com/info/agent_clients/Happy-David-Walters/42

A side note off topic concerning Dwight: The same thing we are talking about with Lawson, him giving up a guaranteed $14 million, and watching his future free agent market value drain away as he rides the bench, applies to Dwight as well.

When agents see that their clients are being marginalized in a contract year they are going to start things. Probably close to half the trade rumors that the media comes up with are the result of agents planting stories in an attempt to create buzz to get their client in a better situation, either with the team they are currently with, or by getting them traded to a better situation.

And this is precisely what has just happened with the Dwight rumors. Chris Sheridan is sticking by his story because it came from Fegan. The whole rumor is about Fegan doing his best to get Dwight the most money possible on his next deal. Fegan can't afford to sit idly by while Dwight becomes a total non-factor averaging 10/10. There's too much money at stake. If Dwight can get a fresh 5-year deal at the max, that's around $175 million. But if Dwight is marginalized and he has to go find another team this summer he may only get $60-80 million. See the difference? That's why there are sports agents. Their job is to get their clients paid.

This is what is happening with Dwight. And although I cannot verify this is what is happening with Lawson absolutely right now I know this is the case with him as well.

16. hakeemthagreat

His body language tells me he doesn't want to be here

17. malakas

malakas Member

I believe it too. The agent is not going to sit and accept Lawson playing 10 mins off the bench. Esp since he's also the agent of other players in the team.

Not sure Lawson problems is mostly alcohol related. Does he wear still the bracelet?

18. basketballholic

Lawson is not drinking. The problem is what batman said. He's not playing loose with a swagger. He's lost the edge that the alcohol gave him. The edge that caused him to split the double team and get to the rim and finish. The edge that caused him to play ballsy because he wanted to make the next play and he was fearless about making a mistake. He doesn't have that buzz anymore and now he's thinking and fearful about making a mistake. So he's playing hot potato with the ball. Those tendacies are on full display every time he gets on court.

19. malakas

malakas Member

yes I understand it, what I ask is do we know for sure he doesnt' drink anymore?
    He didn't think he had any problem with alcohol by what he said in that woj piece and I'm not sure he still wearing that bracelet. He has been going to clubs already.

But if he doesnt' drink and he has stopped it completely then I understand how it can affect his perfomance. It's an addiction. People when recovering from addictions have physical and mental and psychological symptoms.

But not drinking alcohol is not the only possible explanation. Another is that he simply has begun to decline and he wasn't as good as thought previously. He did have from before motivational issues.

20. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Speaking from personal experience. My dad was a very successful lawyer who happened to be an alcoholic. He made a lot of money for 20 something years and then everything caught up with him forcing him to change his life.

Since then he's become a better persons/father to me and my brothers but he's not the same confident person he was when he was making a lot of money practicing law.

My point is I doubt Lawson ever returns to his normal self. He was an alcoholic because he had self esteem/anxiety issues (mental disease) he used the juice to hide his true feelings and make them numb.

I hope he can have a productive life and stay off alchohol. He seems like a nice guy and as much as I want him to have a great career in houston. I'd rather him have a happy life taking care of his child for a very long time. Some things are bigger than basketball and this is one of those things.

1 person likes this.