1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ty Lawson is a stopbag; Beverley should start

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zxcvbn193, Nov 19, 2015.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

1. Just giving you a hard time.
    2. Ask Clutchfans whether James Harden is fat or not. ;)
    4. Beverley & his defense is overrated/overstated. Lots of bark but no bite.

On Ty Lawson, ...

Everyone and their mother knew he wasn't good at defense but they brought him in anyways. What was the thinking there? Bring him off the bench like they're doing now?

And yes, to make matters worse, a non-factor offensively to go along with that bad defense.

2. TAB

TAB Member

I wouldn't go as far as to say he's a stopbag, but maybe more of a slowdownsachel or possibly a pumpthebrakespurse, not totally sure as my non professional career has yet to take off.

2 people like this.
  3. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Morey needs to cut Beverly so people can stop thinking of him as a viable alternative. The man has no business playing more than 10 minutes a game. Seriously stop thinking of him as an alternative. He plain old sucks

4. dwhite

dwhite Member

Fact 1: Beverly hustles and gives a great effort each and every night.
    Fact 2: Beverly plays horrible defense (please watch a game and don't go by his old reputation prior to injuries) and CAN'T shoot. I cringe everytime he launches a three, whether he is wide open or not!!!
    Fact 3: Beverly has the worst passing skills of any starting point guard in the NBA and has extremely low basketball IQ.

Only value Bev brings to the Rockets is his hustle and the joy/fun he brings when playing Russell Westbrook.

1 person likes this.
  5. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Absolutely the correct move to bench him. He has killed our spacing and is allowing too much penetration on defense. His occasional transition bucket doesn't nearly make up for all of that. Make him earn his way back into the starting lineup, but I wouldn't be surprised if he came off of the bench for the rest of the season. He obviously has very little idea how to play when he is not the primary ball handler.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Not gonna lie its funny watching you guys struggle with the concept that the best players don't always have to start.

7. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Harden's selfishness is killing Lawson play. Harden needs the ball in his hands 90% of the time. He asked for help and as you can see, he's not allowing Ty to help him out.

1 person likes this.
  8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Right now Lawson doesn't even deserve to be on an NBA team. So far he is Lance Stephenson 2.0.

If he plays like he did the last few years he absolutely should start, we aren't winning anything if he can't figure out how to play with Harden.

He was benched because he sucks.

9. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Bev will start. Lawson will get more minutes though. This will allow Harden to get in rhythm early and not let Lawson disrupt his play. Also I think JB will make Bev into a more Rondo-Esque or Elfrid Payton like player. 9/5/5 is more than acceptable to me from Bev.

10. nwcougar

nwcougar Member

Lawson is not the only problem on the team but he is definitely part of it. For the season he is shooting only 27% from 3 and 33% overall from the field. The guys can't even shoot FT's right now. Not sure how much of the problem has to do with playing off Harden but regardless he is not shooting the ball well. Beg, of course, has not looked like the same player since his last surgery. Defense is weak and he's never been a play maker.

Man, this team is just terrible right now. Watching the GS v Clippers game tonight and it's pretty apparent this team isn't going anywhere without more shooters and a low post scoring threat. Howard had what... 5 points going into the final minute last night? Hell, he's not even close to being a scoring threat anymore. And the fact that he's not playing any b2b games is a freakin' joke. If he's really not that healthy then perhaps he needs to sit out completely. The Roxkets would be fools to give him a big contract after this year.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

A bag where stops are kept. Duhh.:)

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

we all play non-professional basketball here. I shoot hoops in my backyard, so I know a thing or two about this sport.

J/k ... you probably play basketball at very high level, but jut not professionally, that's probably what you mean, right?

13. rocketshopeful

funny how everyone is so definitive on ty lawson sucking.

if you are going to say he sucks defensively , at least you have some argument.

but there is plenty of data to suggest that he is much better than his current outut offensively.

if you are going to argue that game is two sided when it comes to harden, you can't completely negate the offensive side.

and yes, this is accounting for ty lawson not having the ball in his hands. He is not a great shooter (spot up), but he is definitely not this bad.

you may be proven right at the end of the season, but it would be pure luck, and I think lawson has a solid chance of being a net positive player by the end of the season.

Keep in mind, for what we gave him up for, a net positive, and someone that can handle the ball and mitigate turnovers would be just fine

14. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Haha, Lawson got Linned.

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Lawson for free isn't a mistake.

Mistake is failing to integrate Lawson and that was on McHale.

16. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

He called the players' meeting, right? The newest guy on the team cares about winning. That's a plus in my book.

I'll give him more time to get to know his teammates. He had a game or two when he was connecting well with Dwight. Yeah, it's worth it to integrate him into our offense.

As to defense, everyone slacked off. Lawson was probably disoriented what kind of team he had gotten himself into. With a new coach, we are starting over.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lawson now suffering from Lin Syndrome . . . or, (wait for it) . . . LINDROME.

I'll be here all week, try the veal.

;)

18. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Lol. +1

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He should be benched. Most contenders have an offensive perimeter weapon coming off the bench, historically. Manu was a better player than Lawson and came off the bench.

With that said, Lawson needing to come off the bench is a failure on the part of the coaching staff. If you cannot incorporate weapons, you're failing. This staff has shown a 3-year long inability to get Harden in easy scoring positions. Harden has to do it all himself or there's no offense to be had from him. No off-ball movement, no consistent PnR, nothing... we just now post him up, after all these years, you kidding me?

With that said, sometimes good coaches fail. Rondo is a good recent example. Carlisle couldn't get a morsel of decent play out of the guy, now he's on fire in Sacramento.

Lawson didn't magically get worse overnight. This is on the staff.

20. zxcvbn193

zxcvbn193 Member

Still you need to make adjustments or at this point -trades. Just go for someone with 2-4 year experience that can actually hit a 3 pointer and is hungry to play that actually understands that this is a chance of a lifetime to play for contending team, just like DMO, Bev or Ariza. If stars dont play well, bring in other players.

J.J Barea
    Vasquez
    Wroten

The very few that came in mind that would fit Rockets much better than Lawson.