1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ty Lawson Effect

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Yeah, once Josh moved back to the bench, it worked out great.

Saying that though, Lawson should stay a starter. Rockets already have a Thornton for that sixth man role. Lawson and Harden just need time. James has been playing this way now for three seasons and entering his fourth. It's going to take more than seven games to get adjusted to playing with another capable ball handler. We have seen signs of what lawson can do with this team already.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I like the addition and think he brings what we needed play-making wise. Thornton is actually better at creating shots for himself and others than I realized too, so that's perfect.

I don't think we'll get too much more from Lawson though. Ball dominant point guards don't seem to make good teams all that much better. Lawson will never have the freedom to do what he was doing in Denver.

3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The Lawson situation is totally different than Josh Smith last year.

- Morey picked up Josh Smith basically for free and the expectation on him is rather low.

- While the Rox virtually did no give up any assets for Lawson, but he did count for a decent chunk of the cap an the expectation on him before the season started is very high.

- While Josh Smith were struggling on offense in his early games as a Rockets, but he is an above average defender and actually helped the Rox in that position and hence he can settle in much more easily.

- Lawson on the other hand, is a terrible defender, if he is not contributing on offense on the court, he will be just a burden to the team. Lawson is not the only reason the Rox are terrible on defense so far this season, but he definitely is part of the reason.

- Also stop the excuse regarding he can't play with Harden together and he needs the ball on his hands more - what kind of ****ty excuse this is? are you a bunch of LOFs? In the last few games, once Harden will take a short rest, while Lawson was on the floor, the Rox seems completely forgot how to score. Bottom line, he sucks so far in the start of this season.

- I do agree the sample size is not big enough and we shall give him more time, but if this same performance will be shown for the next 10-15 games, the Rox should consider to make changes on the PG position, either he will be moved to the bench or even give Terry more playing time could serve us better.

4. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

He hasn't been good - but for totally understandable reasons. A few weeks of trying to figure things out is understandable. And statistically speaking, it's hard to put up sexy stats as a PG when your shooting guard is going supernova like Harden the last few.

There are a few things he's been doing that there's no way he continues once comfortable. One: having a lower usage rate than Beverley. Two: having a higher turnover rate than Dwight or Harden; having low turnovers for a playmaker has long been a strong point for Ty.

He hasn't been arrested or totally embarrassed himself on the court. That's all that's needed for now. The third star stuff will come with reps.

5. Dmo for 3mo

Dmo for 3mo Member

It's going to take some time to get Ty integrated and comfortable, especially with a guy on the court everyone is hardwired to give the ball to on every possession. He'll have it together by the playoffs which is all that matters. He isn't a negative in the short term so its not like we are any worse than last year with him while he figures it out.

6. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

We've seen brief flashes of what is needed from Lawson, but he was definitely wasted at the end of the Clippers game with the ball in Harden's hands fighting double teams without passing promptly.

7. basketballholic

Agree. He is not very productive off-the-ball next to Harden. That's gotta change. They're gonna have to split up possessions. Harden STILL is not willing to give up the rock nearly enough and play off-the-ball when Lawson is in there. This looks like Harden/Lin Part II.

8. bmd

bmd Member

Someone like Ty Lawson will need more time to adjust than some random role player, especially as a pass-first PG.

Guys like Ty Lawson need to know where his teammates will be when he goes to pass the ball to him. He needs to get used to the spots that they will be at so he can make a pass without even thinking about it.

If his emergency valves are in different spots than he was used to in Denver, he will turn the ball over more and be more hesitant. He just needs time playing to get used to it.

As a main ball-handler, he's in control. It's difficult to be in control of the offense when you are still getting used to the offense yourself. That may be why he looks timid right now.

He just needs time to acclimate himself to everything and he will look much better.

9. daernoth

daernoth Member

Ty has to get the rock more, no question about it. Harden keeps bringing the ball down, almost every possesion sometimes. It's just ridiculous. The Rox have to integrate Ty into the offense if they want to be real contenders.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Don't know how many times Harden has pointed to Lawson when the inbounder is looking to give Harden the ball only to get the ball back when Lawson crosses half court. Harden wants Lawson to take over but Lawson is way too passive.

Same thing happened when Lin was here. Harden would trail the play when Lin was bringing up the ball. Lin would cross the timeline and wait for Harden and give him the ball.

I think Harden is more than willing to give up the ball, but he isn't going to wait around if the team is losing. I don't think I have ever seen Harden demand the ball or tell someone not to create because he deserves to be the sole creator.

11. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Ty has been passive, but he is new to the team and as a unselfish player it is going to take time for Ty to feel like he can take the reigns of the offense. I have seen flashes of Ty just playing basketball and making some really good reads. He'd also look better if the team wasn't chunk up so many wide open bricks (him included). By January this team will be rolling, be patient, his talent will shine in time.

12. basketballholic

1. Harden did not want Lin to be taking possessions when Lin was here EXCEPT for an occasional breather where Harden took a possession off and stood in the corner. Everything else was theatrics.

2. Yes, Ty is feeding the ball back to Harden. Because Harden is ball dominant. Lawson is not even looking to make plays. And.......there aren't any plays being run for Lawson. How many times have we seen Lawson take the ball up top when Harden was in there and then run a play off a pick by a big???? Maybe twice in these first 7 games??

Lawson is passive. And McHale/Harden haven't put in the plays for Lawson to run up top and Harden to play on the wing. It's on all of them. But the leader is Harden. If Harden really wanted Lawson to run plays, Lawson would be running plays.

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

There is no evidence of Harden not wanting Lin to have the ball (if there is I've missed it). I remember the players knowing Lin was the PG and would look to Lin first after a made basket to push. Harden would just trot up the court while Lin would look like he was about to initiate the offense, then all of a sudden, would give the ball to Harden. There was never a "give me the ball moment" from Harden; It was always a "here, take the ball" from Lin.

Lin even said when he was a Laker, the Rockets system was the best place for him. He lamented not taking advantage of it more.

Even Parsons would take over from time to time and Harden did not care at all.

Just because Harden is ball dominant does not mean Lawson should give him the ball after he crosses half court. I agree, Lawson is not looking to make plays and that is everyone's main gripe.

Mchale doesn't really run plays for specific players unless it is an inbound play from a timeout. Harden just runs PnR at the top of the key over and over. If Lawson called for a pick at the top of the key, guaranteed, he would get one and every thing would fall into place.

Thornton has already picked up on this. Thornton was calling for picks from the baseline during the Clippers game while Lawson was in the game and Harden was sitting! Thornton kept on calling for picks and getting them which resulted in points/shots for Dwight or Thornton. Why Lawson can't do this is a mystery and I believe is all him.
    We agree Lawson is too passive. He said he didn't want to step on any toes in the post game interviews. Again, there are no plays. Mchale has put in the 1/2 PnR at the top of the key, but that's just a variation of the 2/5 PnR that Harden runs all the time.

Harden is still growing as a leader, I don't see him going to Lawson and saying he wants him to take over. Harden was a go-with-the-flow player since his OKC days. He played with two ball dominant players and was fine. He would take a backseat or he would take over when the time was needed. If Lawson would go off he would adapt.

14. mockster

mockster Member

The coach needs to unleash ty Lawson. I think it's obvious ty Lawson doesbt play that great without the ball. He's not a spot up shooter, I think ty lawson needs to be the primary ball handler 70% of the time. I mean sure you gotta let harden work his superstar skills but I think as overall success personal stats aside its gonna be in the best instrest of winning games. To many times harden inbounds the ball or gets passed to by lawson right away. Lawson needs long possesoon dribbled to to try an create a play or score.

15. vator

vator Contributing Member

Ty Lawson playing primarily off the ball is just stupid basketball.

1 person likes this.
  16. basketballholic

True.

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

that's to be expected when you have a stupid coach and a stupid system.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

No, taking the ball out of Harden's hands, who is clearly a better player, and putting it in Lawson's hands is stupid basketball.

There is no justification for it whatsoever, other than, clinging to the outdated basketball rhetoric that the "PG is supposed to set up the plays"

Why in the world would you ever want a less talented player handling the ball more than an MVP SG. It makes no logical sense whatsoever. What SHOULD be happening is Lawson should be coming off the bench and handling the ball for a Hardenless group of players.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Harden plays 39 mpg. So you want Lawson to handle the ball for 9 minutes per game? That's "smart" according to your logic.

You seem to believe that having Lawson play more of the play maker role means Harden doesn't touch the ball at all, kind of like what Lawson is doing now. That's just not true. Having one more play maker involved on the floor means EVERYBODY touches the ball more. Harden will still be the primary creator of the offense.

And it has nothing to do with whether Lawson is a PG or not. If Dwight Howard was a good play maker, I would say the same thing.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

No, I never said, nor did I ever infer that. Harden should only be playing 28-32 minutes per game because we should be blowing teams out. Some overlap is inevitable, but you can get it down to 8-10 minutes, which is better.

This is just a flat out fantasy. Harden and Lawson are pick and roll players. More than half of what we run is pick and roll. They both do the same thing, they hold the ball and survey the landscape looking for an opportunity to attack or create. That is their strength, that is why they are good. Only one of them can play this role. The other is forced into a secondary role where they receive a pass for an open shot or an open lane to the basket. Neither of them are good in that secondary role because they aren't slashers. We are not Golden State, we do not have a bunch of cutters and curlers who run a series of screens and back cuts.