1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ty Lawson Effect

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Nov 7, 2015.

1. stefanb

stefanb Member

He and the rest of the team just need some time to adjust and get used to each other. Even though he hasn't been playing great, I can see him really creating for our offense because of his speed, quickness, and dribbling and passing skills. He'll be fine, just give it some time.

2. seeingred

seeingred Member

you are out of your damn mind

1 person likes this.
  3. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Wow. Agreed. Posts like this is a great reminder of being a true head coach versus an ArmChair quarterback

4. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Repped.

5. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

He has shown flashes, he will get back to brig Ty Lawson in no time

6. dmoneybangbang

Once Bev gets back, we need to stagger Lawson's and Harden's minutes. Lawson needs the ball in his hands to be elite.

7. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Agreed. We keep grinding harden 37-40 minutes a game he could run out of steam come playoff time. Everytime I check the box for gsw there's curry at 28 minutes or some crazy low number.

8. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Maybe let Harden rest more in the second quarter? We usually need him at the end of the game. We wouldn't have beat Orlando or LAC without Harden in the 4th. Problem is GSW is destorying just about every team they're playing, so Curry can sit out the fourth quarter.

9. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

I have not been impressed by Ty yet, I just wish he would play his game and get comfortable with the team.

I think he is trying too hard to be a team player and has thrown away many balls trying to pass instead of just shooting.

I have seen flashes of what could be and expect to see, just not sure when that will happen.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I'm more impressed with Marcus Thornton. Lawson should come off the bench.

11. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

Lawson is a fine player that as of now needs to play off of Harden and is the best shot creator for Howard and the rest of our bigs. The problem I have is the coaching, Lawson is not a spot up shooter, so coach a more motion based offense. While it looks like they are getting somewhat better at, the Rockets still have a long ways to go. It's one thing if Lawson is not making the right moves, but the offense as a whole watches Harden and Thorton all the time. The coaching needs to make this team play as a complete unit and not as 4 one on one players and Ariza.

12. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

post of the year! Unfortunately Mchale is unable to make that adjustment....

13. mockster

mockster Member

It's weird because lawson looks timid to make plays but when he actually tries he does well. I think he has his mind on harsen and howard to much when he needs to take over at times.

14. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

McHale said the same thing...let's see if for the same reasons your stating...still too early to see final results of the experiment but these next pile of games may give us our first clues as to where it's truly heading

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ty has not looked comfortable in the spot up shooting role at all. and our poor spacing has forced him into a bunch of uncharacteristic turnovers. from his time in denver, he really needs finishers around him in order to shine. faried was his bread and butter the last couple seasons there on the pNr.

so if dmo is able to return and continue hitting that floater in the lane, it will really open up space for ty to operate near the paint for pull up J's and easy drives at the basket. we witnessed this in one of the preseason games when ty ran pNr with harrell, who ended up with a wide open FT line jumper. once dmo gets back, the coaching staff needs to refine the sets with those 2 together along with dwight/brewer/etc slashing weakside at the rim.

16. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Which of our PGs since Harden arrived hasn't been playing off the ball?

17. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

He said himself he needs to be more aggressive, and that is still the case. Great game against OKC, but reverted back to playing passive afterwards.

I feel like he's getting into the paint relatively easily, but passing up on easy layups to either kick it out to shooters or Dwight. Still looks like he "doesn't want to step on any toes". I'm not too worried. PG is the toughest position to integrate into an offense, especially when there is another dominant guard. It's going to take some time, but it's a long season.

These next few days of practice should be very helpful. Ty knows what he needs to do, just has to execute, which he is fully capable of doing. We've seen flashes of what he can do.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I like what I saw against OKC, and Orlando that makes me feel encouraged about what we will see in the 2nd half of the season.

I also feel better about where we will be if, heaven forbid, Harden has to sit a few games for injury, rest, or whatever.

We all should have pretty minimal expectations for the first part of the season because playing with Harden is something that isn't that easy to get comfortable in that role. Its just going to take time, and Ty needs to get a better feel for when to turn it on, and when to let James take over.

If all we end up getting is just a better version of Jeremy Lin than that alone was worth making the trade especially with the non-guaranteed 2nd year. People like to rag on Lin, but his role was actually pretty important those two years.

Its just gonna take time.... like months... not days. Relax.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

So far .... the results are much the same as they were last season.

Either Harden plays like the MVP or the Rockets lose.

Part of that is all the injuries , especially at PF .... damn they are small and get hammered on the boards.

Lawson hasn't been as good as I expected offensively but he hasn't been near as bad as I expected defensively either.

Don't think we've seen a large enough sample size , ask me again after another 25 games or so.

20. marky :)

marky :) Member

IMO he hasn't been extremely great or extremely bad. He's still trying to find his role on this team. For someone who pretty much dominated the ball and initiated the majority of the offense his whole career, it'll take time to adjust when playing with Harden.

Let's just hope it doesn't take him too long and to me it seems like he'll figure it out sooner rather than later. Still glad we got him.