1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ty Lawson Effect

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Nov 7, 2015.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A wide open corner three is the worst shot imaginable?

Hmm...

2. dmoneybangbang

The teams mantra is talent trumps everything, just have to accept it.

This is an issue of mchale and harden showing a willingness to allow Lawson to be the primary playmaker ( in general) when he is on the floor. The talent is there with Lawson to be a good pg but you have to let him create.

Give ty lawson the rock yo.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with everything else you said, but what good does it do to bring Lawson off the bench? Harden will still be in the game when he comes in. Unless you want to wait until like 2 min left in the 1st quarter to bring him in at the earliest.

He is going to have to figure out how to be aggressive and effective playing alongside Harden at the end of the day, and it doesn't matter whether he starts or comes off the bench.

1 person likes this.
  4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Similar to gsw pre kerr, you have to have a system in which teams have to guard the entire floor. Houston imo, is a easy team to guard. They dont have enough backside action, you dont have to giard the middle area either. Their offemsive output is predicated on harden taking and making high degree of difficulty shot. They bring in a guy who can make everyone job easierz on offense, a all star caliber pg, and he's playing like matt maloney. Thats noy going to help anyone the way its constructed.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Eventually, Lawson's shots will start falling at a more normal rate.

The issue that is harder to fix, though, is his defense. He has always been undersized and a minus defender. He ain't growing taller, and unless he brings some super-charged defensive effort, it's gonna be problem on that end.

The Rockets were all about super-charged effort last season. This year's team just has a different vibe and I wonder if Lawson has something to do with it. Harden gets that lazy vibe sometimes, too, but having both your guards being not particularly energetic just compounds things.

6. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

It might have been the fact that shot clanged off the backboard or they both passed on layups.

7. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Or it could have been the bad pass by Lawson which probably contributed to the clanged 3.

8. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

This is less about Lawson and more about McHale/Harden. Lawson is only doing what's asked of him, the same that asked of Beverly.

This isn't about "fit". This isn't about whether Lawson should come off the bench or not. The fact is that IMO McHale has taken this team as far as it'll go with him. If it wasn't for J.smith and Brewer we wouldn't have escaped the 2nd round last year. Not because of some great coaching on McHale's part.

The fact is that you put your best 5 players on the court, not stagger them because you can't get them all involved. Or you can only come up with basic plays where one guys dominates the ball. If McHale can't get the most out of his players he's given,... That's on coach. Plain and simple.

Harden is the man on this team, that's plain and simple. But either Harden doesn't want to share the limelight or can't. Why can't Harden play with a true PG? Why is his PG always just a spot up shooter? This just limits your offense options. Harden said last year he needs help..... What did he want another spot up shooter for when he gets double or triple teamed? If he really wanted the help don't you think he'd tell Mchale. Is it him or coach? Really it should be on coach but who knows.

I don't think Harden is gonna change unless we have a coaching change. He might need a new perspective and a fresh start with someone who will take control. Not just a coach that always talk about more effort but doesn't give his team a advantage. Its his job, he's the coach. He's not doing it. He's the leader that suppose to instill a culture, a personality, a identity to this team and IMO he's not doing it.

Ugghhh sigh....,,

I almost forgot..... If Morey is strict about his layups or 3's policy, he needs to ease up on that a bit and let Lawson be Lawson. Players are not robots and have different strength's. Ty needs to be told to play his game.

9. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

I miss the HardLin PnRs...:(

10. AXG

AXG Member

Can't believe we gave up Dorsey for this scrub...

11. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Lawson didnt even play in the 4th.

However, Im starting to think its more scheme than him

They keep plugging him as a spot up shooter which isnt his game.

Doesnt seem Like Mchale is noticing this though

12. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Whether it be a scrub like Lin or a borderline all star like Lawson, no PG will excel in this system/scheme playing next to Harden. I'm not complaining since Harden is a top 5 player, but just pointing it out.

13. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

We don't have a scheme dude. It's read and react predicated on an initial action thats usually a 2-5 pick and roll, or 2-4 pick and roll.

Players are supposed to cut/spot up/ move based on what they think. It requires all players on the court being high IQ to react based on how the defense reacts to Harden.

Don't make excuses for Lawson being lazy and just wanting to stand there.

14. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

Someone here pointed out that Ty Lawson was brought for the playoffs though. He may struggle mightily all season, but apparently he will be brilliant in the playoffs.

15. theredbackpack

what drove me crazy, and maybe i'm wrong here, but didn't it seem like lawson as the ball-handler kept the game under control more than james? now maybe i was just fixated on the bad stuff james kept doing, so lawson successfully completing a pass got me too high. terry really had a game once he was playing off lawson...

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Karl would get frustrated with Lawson settling for mid-range jumpers in the 4th quarter of games in his last years as HC there.

On the other end, the Rockets need to more energy and defense. If PGs set the tempo, we're not getting that from Lawson.

17. Mattician

Mattician Member

I thought Harden was going to play off the ball more this year.

This team needs a new coach with a better offensive scheme. Let Lawson handle the ball more and make plays.

18. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

That's what Marcus Morris called out the Rockets for.. He said they kept asking him to take long jumpers or 3s instead of mid range game. It's a shame if the coaching staff can not get players to play to their strengths, but instead ask them to play to scheme.

19. PeppermintCandy

i seem to remember a ton of posters saying early in the offseason that Lawson was the best fit out of all the available PGs, and that's before there were rumors of him being moved.

I wonder whether all those believers are now off the bandwagon for good. Or are they blaming McHale for misusing him.

20. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Lawson probably would be better if Harden played more off ball.

But this teams definition of playing off ball means handing the ball to Lawson and standing in corner somewhere.