1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TX Judge believes Obama re-election could lead to Civil War

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cannonball, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

And Lubbock residents should vote to raise property taxes to fund local law enforcement in their impending battle vs. UN troops.

:confused:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/22/tom-head-texas-obama_n_1822003.html

Tom Head, a county judge in Lubbock, Texas, plunged far out into the periphery of anti-President Barack Obama conspiracy theories on Monday, pushing a particularly outrageous one as justification for a tax increase in the county.

Head told FOX34 that Lubbock's law enforcement needed extra tax dollars in order to be prepared for a full-scale uprising, which he said could be a byproduct of Obama's reelection. According to Head, the president is seeking to sign a variety of United Nations treaties that will effectively take precedent over domestic law.

“He's going to try to hand over the sovereignty of the United States to the U.N., and what is going to happen when that happens?” Head asked. “I'm thinking the worst. Civil unrest, civil disobedience, civil war maybe. And we're not just talking a few riots here and demonstrations, we're talking Lexington, Concord, take up arms and get rid of the guy."

Head continued, delving deeper into his hypothesis and claiming that he was prepared to join the hypothetical resistance.

"Now what's going to happen if we do that, if the public decides to do that? He's going to send in U.N. troops. I don't want 'em in Lubbock County. OK. So I'm going to stand in front of their armored personnel carrier and say, 'You're not coming in here,'" the judge said. "And the sheriff, I've already asked him, I said, 'You gonna back me?' He said, 'Yeah, I'll back you.' Well, I don't want a bunch of rookies back there. I want trained, equipped, seasoned veteran officers to back me."

So, there you have it. Head would have listeners believe that they must agree to increase Lubbock's property tax rate by 1.7 cents in the next fiscal year, or risk being forced to submit to a foreign occupying force invited into the nation by the president of the United States.

Of course, this theory is entirely bunk.

Anything signed by the president as part of a U.N. Convention “can only be implemented through domestic legislation enacted by Congress or state legislatures, in a manner and time-frame determined by our own legislative process.” Effectively, broader U.N. provisions can't supersede laws passed by Congress, and only serve as guiding principles for signatories to consider.

While it might seem outrageous that such a bizarre conspiracy theory is being promoted by an elected official -- as grounds to support a particular policy no less -- Head isn't the only one.

GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney appeared to give some credence to the same theory in response to a question at a town hall in Ohio last month.

"Turning to the United Nations to tell us how to raise our kids, or whether we can have the Second Amendment rights that our Constitution gave us, I mean, that is the wrong way to go, right? Do not cede sovereignty," Romney said. "I’m happy to talk there. I’m not willing to give American sovereignty in any way, shape or form to the United Nations or any other body. We are a free nation. We fought for freedom and independence. We are going to keep freedom and independence."

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

The guy should be impeached for stupidity.

3. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

or dragged behind a pick-up truck?

j/k

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Or forced to watch an entire Astros game.

2 people like this.
  5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

If this happens I'm definitely moving up north

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I believe Tom is his middle name, and Richard is his first name....

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

8. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Good thing I live near Houston.
    The city itself imo is pretty balanced if not slightly more liberal.

10. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

Who would want to take over Lubbock?

11. Classic

Classic Member

No kidding. The panhandle sucks.

12. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

even people who live in or are from lubbock know it sucks.

13. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

They're going to steal the smell and sell it.

14. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Lubbock or leave it

15. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

This. I live in Lubbock and it blows.

16. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

How can people this stupid be taken seriously. This man holds a high position, I'm sure is respected in his community, and I'm positive people read what he just said and shook their head like "Yeah! Obama is gonna hand over the U.S.!!". How can people be so stupid?

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

[​IMG]

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

My perimeter is secure.

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I betcha he is a Republican

20. Classic

Classic Member

So this tirade was in an effort to get a raise in property taxes. Maybe the hick just wants a pay raise and he's preying on his constituency's fear?