1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Two threads in one -- RE hoops

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Prempeh, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

First of all, I am looking to pick up a college basketball game for PS2, and I was wondering if any of you have picked up March Madness or NCAA 2K3. Which one do you think is better?

I've read that 2K3 has better game play, but that March Madness has a better dynasty feature. Anyone want to clarify? Also, similar to some of the college football games, is it possible to edit the players' names and stats in these games?

Secondly, did any of you get a chance to check out the Academy tournament at the Campbell Center this past weekend?

I went to the final day of the tourney on Monday, and saw the last three games. Unfortunately I wasn't able to see Ndubi Ebi, but I was able to check out some other hot prospects.

RAINIER BEACH (Seattle) vs. RICE (NYC)

Before the tourney, Rainier was the #1 team in the country, I think. Rainier had the lead most of the way through, but Rice's Shagari Alleyne, who's 7 foot 3, went off in the fourth quarter with about 4 alley oop dunks, and Rice ended up winning.

Alleyne is tall...that's about all I can say about him. He's not very coordinated, runs on his tippie toes, and doesn't exactly exude physicality. Karim Shabazz all over again.

Rainier Beach's big men on the other hand, were pretty solid-- very athletic for their size. Chester Giles, especially, who's 6-10, was very active on the offensive boards and impressed me with his skills. He could even project to a 3 in the pros if he continues to develop. Not sure where he's going to school.

JONES vs. PA MEMORIAL (Houston schools)

This was the championship game of the Texas bracket. The player I mostly watched in this one was Jones' Daniel Gibson, rated by some as the #1 Junior point guard prospect in the country.

I don't know why.

True, he's got some serious skills. Has unlimited range and a quick release, shoots pretty well off the dribble as well, and has the ballhandling skills to get it off. But what irked me about him is the fact that he's a lazy SOB. Doesn't sprint back on defense (especially if things don't go his way on the offensive end). Pretty much ignores that one side of the court altogether. He's also not very interested in mixing it up. Unless he was penetrating, he was pretty content to sit out on the 3 point line when he didn't have the ball. Rarely went in for an off board, rarely active unless he had the rock. Could be because of the offense, could be cause I heard his back was ailing him, but regardless, he didn't show much effort unless he had the ball.

Jones won BTW

ST PATRICK (New Jersey) vs OAK HILL

Oak Hill won the game, but that's of little consequence because I am just gonna talk about Derrick Caracter. He's a freshman, 6'9" and 280 or something like that.

Dude is gonna be a stud. I wasn't expecting the guy to be NEARLY as polished as he was -- had good post moves and was strong with the ball. Has good form on his jumpshot, and although he couldn't connect on his outside shots, he wasn't rattled by the fact he couldn't hit a barn.

Once he learns when and where to shoot, he will be unstoppable. Often he would get the ball out on the perimeter and face up or start backing in immediately (or just pop it), and it kind of disrupted the offense, esp since he couldn't hit. But, as soon as he figures out that the block is where he belongs, he will be awesome.

Didn't seem to be an impact player on defense, but that's nothing new for a freshman...that'll come eventually.

Oak Hill's big men were big, but not all that skilled. Oak Hill relied on the 3 point shot mostly.

2. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

The fact that Daniel Gibson doesn't get back on D is simply bad coaching for Jones. Nothing personal against the coach of Jones but no matter how good a player may be on the offensive end, if he's not gonna put forth an effort of the defensive end he shouldn't be in the game.

3. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

HEy I totally agree...if I am a coach, I don't care how gifted a player is, all the guys in my rotation bust their butt or they don't play.

Still, it doesn't exactly reflect well on Gibson, either...I was probably a little harsh being that 1)He's a high school kid and 2) his back was apparently hurting him...but by my rationale, if you are hurting that bad, and you can't give it your all, you better sit down. Besides, his back didn't look to sore once he got the rock.

4. JamesC

JamesC Member

I was at the Tournament Saturday and Monday. I liked Rainer Beach's team. They would've beaten Oak Hill if their best players werent in foul trouble. Chester Giles is a junior so he probably wont make a commitment till next year. As for Jones and Daniel Gibson, his game is real smooth. From what I understand he hurt is back in a game before the tournament. Its hard to do anything with a hurt back. In my opinon it was obvious that he wasnt 100 percent but he played through the pain. To me that shows his competitive edge and his team wouldnt have won without him. I also liked Derrick Character's game. He can handle the rock and he's got nice offensive moves. He jumper wasnt falling but if he keeps working on it he's gonna be scary.