1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Two Steps, One Sticker: Texas registration, inspection stickers to be combined

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OmegaSupreme, Feb 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

From my understanding you don't have to get an inspection until Jan 2016 when your registration is due. In fact you can rip of the inspection sticker now, they ant required anymore.

2. rage

rage Member

According to this:

http://twostepsonesticker.com/

You can renew your registration as long as your inspection is valid on the day of registration, even if it expires the next day.

Which means if last time you inspected was Mar 2014. You renewed registration Feb 2015 with the old inspection still valid.

The next time you need to inspect will be Feb 2016, the next time you register. You may go 23 months between inspections up to end of Feb 2016.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Can do both around Jan 31, if a month is that big of a deal...

No sticker, you get a "receipt" and it's stored electronically in state database.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

My inspection expired last month but my registration doesn't expire until June 2015.

I assume I still need to get it inspected, but if I just remove my inspection sticker, how does anyone know I'm behind on my inspection? I should be fine until June, right?

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I wouldn't go that far. Why risk getting stopped? They still may be going after people with no inspection.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

So my registration expires August of this year, while my inspection expires February of 2016. Am I basically going to get one sticker for both come August? Or will I have to go back and get that one sticker in February of next year?

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Sajan, ignore what I said, this is correct^^

If you already registered this year with a good inspection, you'll need the next inspection when you register next year.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

If both expire on same month later this year, you need to get inspected first that month, then register and you get the one sticker.

If you already registered this year, then you're good until next year's registration month, get inspected first that month, then register and get one sticker.

If you have to register later this year, but have expired inspection, wait until registration comes up, inspect then first, then register and you get one sticker.

If you have to register later this year, with a good inspection, then do so without inspecting again, get one sticker.

9. Faust

Faust Member

wish id seen this before. hpd pulled me over last week for expired inspection sticker and gave me a warning because of the new law. constable gave me a ticket today and said the new law wasn't an excuse.

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

ok this is what I figured.

I am just going to take off my "expired" inspection sticker and do it in Jan 2016 right before my registration expires.

11. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

i just paid for inspection last month and have a sticker on my window. i have to get my registration done asap as it just expired. so do i take it off or whats going on here?

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

So the registration date changes to whatever the state inspection date is/was? Interesting...

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

No..technically..the inspection date changes. The registration date doesn't change, in any scenario. Coolguy's advice is incorrect. If you're current inspection sticker is good for this year, then you register with that. Yours is good from Jan 15-16, so this whole year. When your reg is up in June later this year, you just go and register. They'll give you one sticker and you'll need to do both again in June 2016.

No, your inspection is still good. Use that to get registered.

#33 RV6, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  14. Buck Turgidson

Where are you reading this? Link please.

On the state info website for this new program, the FAQ states simply:

"I have a trailer. Will the process or sticker design change?

No. There have been no changes to the process or sticker design."