1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Two Million People (and counting) Receiving Tax Reform Bonuses

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crash5179, Jan 12, 2018.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I can quote stupid **** that Sean Hannity has said easily. And you know it. I can go to such cringe worthy clips of Sean that even RocketsLegend couldn't defend.

So I ask you to provide a single ridonculous quote from Lemon and Anderson if you believe they are radical left nut huggers.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

CNN is not the left. The left is Huffington Post. I am not a fan of any of the reporters you list but to compare Anderson Cooper to Sean Hannity is a joke. Cooper will and has given Republicans a fair shake even though he is liberal. Hannity is Part of the propaganda arm of the GOP

3. Schmidt

Schmidt Member

Just received an email from my corprate benefits dept. 401K match is increasing to 10% vs the previous 6%. That’s huge for my 200+ hourly employees. Plus, my largest client is paying out $1000 net bonuses to all hourly/salaried full-time personnel ($500 for part-timers).

TheresTheDagger and cml750 like this.
  4. fchowd0311

Thanks Obama.

5. TheresTheDagger

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...esponse-to-the-trump-tax-overhaul-free-snacks

6. TheresTheDagger

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta...uses-tax-reform-to-boost-smart-logistics.html

UPS uses tax reform to boost 'Smart Logistics Network,' pensions by $12 billion

7. Schmidt

Schmidt Member

Not a Trump fan, but there has been a steady change over the past 7-8 months. I have several large tech client customers who are finally starting to spend money on major facilities upgrades. We've scrapped our capex projections and are now going to be making huge investments over the next few years. Separately, I'll be looking to hire another 50 or so highly skilled tradesmen starting in October.

It upsets me that zero dems supported the tax overhaul. I guess I'll remind my staffs in Nov...

mick fry and cml750 like this.
  8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Dems are happy about whatever benefits do come from this tax bill. But at the same time understand that we were already growing and that in times of growth it is best to start paying the deficit/debt.

Maybe remind them of that in Nov. as well. Though, I'm not sure why you are trying to influence your employees' votes one way or the other.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The fact you include Lemon and Cooper on some level with Hannity and Coulter as morally corrupt confirms that you're a wingnut. CNN is only radical left to a wingnut. You guys are so out of touch of what radical left is that you think anything left of crazy is radical. My god.

11. fchowd0311

I'll rather follow average trend lines and the entire macroeconomics picture rather than your anecdotes.

We are on the boom part of our boom and bust cycle.

The tanks Obama part was slightly sarcastic. Our natural cycle is more of the reason.

#191 fchowd0311, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    juicystream likes this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

This is a great example of utter B.S that this has anything to do with the tax cut.

C'mon you really think UPS decided to make a $12 billion dollar investment in the US one month after the passage of a tax cut??????

Put things in perspective, UPS has a net income under $4 billion dollars. So even if you reduce it's corporate gain tax from 39% to 21% and assume there are no other deductions (there are though) you are talking maybe what - $800 million in savings. It's much less than that, and there's no way that can fund a $12 Billion in investments. More likely, these investments were already planned but like a smart corporation, UPS is using the tax law as a good excuse to justify the investment to investors and gain some wiggle room. That is a good thing by the way, but let's not be fools to think that is why they are investing $12 billion.

13. TheresTheDagger

Forgive me for quoting the CEO of UPS. What would he know about this anyways?

“This $12 billion investment program is an outgrowth of the opportunity for tax savings created by the Tax and Jobs Act,” said David Abney, UPS Chairman and CEO, in a news release. “We will increase network investments and accelerate pension funding to strengthen the company for the long term, so that we maximize the benefit to our global customers, employees and shareowners.”

cml750 likes this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

So if you netted $100K in income last year and got a tax break that saved you $20k, that means your make an investment of $300K based on that $20K savings?????

Do you understand what's really going on here? I noticed you ignored the last half of what I wrote and just quoted the first part. So clearly since it didn't fit your narrative you just pretended it didn't exist

15. TheresTheDagger

Do you understand that in the case of UPS (or your scenario) that the tax savings occur EVERY year going forward as long as the business stays in business...and that in the case of UPS, we can assume that's going to be multiple DECADES?

How much is 800 million in tax savings (plus interest) multiplied by 50 years?

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

First off it would be a lot less than $800 million because UPS isn't paying a 39% rate on it's full net income. There are tons of breaks already in there and nice accounting tricks.

2nd of all, companies don't operate that way. 50 years - really? Their shareholders would never let them make a $12B expense based on financing it on 50 years of future profit from a tax windfall. Plus it's risky. No, you don't drop $12B because you got a tax windfall, you drop $12B because you spent a year planning for it, decided it was a good investment for the company, and decided to announce after a big corporate tax cut to win favor for future tax cuts and get the Presidents favor towards your lobbying efforts in Congress.

17. TheresTheDagger

The 800 million number is your figure, not mine.

You don't have to take my word for it...I'm literally quoting the CEO of the company here. What do YOU know about their business that he doesn't?

18. Nook

Nook Member

Employees get a one time bonus while the corporations get tax cuts every single year, decade after decade. Hmmm

Will be interesting to see how exactly this is all paid for.

19. fchowd0311

Economy is doing great guys. So great that 60% of Americans would loose all their savings and would need to borrow money if they had an emergency that cost $1000.

Great economy.

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It won't be paid for. Just kicking the can down the road.