1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

two and "oh"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Nov 1, 2001.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

that's right, 2 wins down, 58 to go

steve francis leads in rebounding again. What's with this guy, he does a little of everyones job. Someone needs to tell him that he is only 6 foot 2" and that he's a freak of nature. And also tell him that I love him.....like a rockets fan

2. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Didn't Willis have 13 boards or is ESPN wrong?
    Didn't have tv for this one, someone splain what happened to KT and Cato and the six quick fouls, please.

3. treeman

treeman Member

Aren't there 80 to go? ;)

I like what I see defensively so far, but these guys have got to start getting their shooting touches earlier than 45 minutes into the game. These 7-minute shooting droughts can't become a regular thing.

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Refs called the game real tight..some of those foul calls on Cato and Thomas were bulls*** calls. Funny thing, once overtime started, the referees swallowed their whistles for the first 3 minutes.

I'm happy that we are 2-0, but I would like to see an easy win.

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Brand worked hard inside, and the refs called lots of fouls- especially any time a player reached across for the ball, even if he got all ball it was called a foul. Cato had a good case on about 3 of them. One thing I noticed, is that Cato isn't arguing because Rudy is doing it for him, and it's keeping him motivated. BTW, the last foul call was on a cheapo double foul. The refs allowed no physical play down low by Cato or KT, Willis got away with a little more.

6. treeman

treeman Member

Thank God we got Willis back. We'd be "oh and two" right now without him. Clutch freethrows in OT.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Manny, I agree with you completely about the officiating. I thought it was very one sided for most of the night. Cato was fouled everytime he went up for a shot but it was never called. On the other end the refs refused to allow him to hold his ground or play even the slightest bit aggresive.

8. 1aggie02

1aggie02 Member

My question is "Does the poor officiating calls excuse an o-fer performance by the 42 million dollar man (Cato)?"

9. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

Don't know if my heart can take 80 more overtimes this year:D

Cato just has bad hands (flippers) and doesn't have enough lift and ball control to score in traffic. I don't blame the refs for his problems. KT had some questionable calls go against him but didn't play as smart as last nite...and props to Elton Brand, he is one helluva player.

Looks to me like we may have serious problems on the boards this year. But I looked at rebounding totals and we actually outrebounded the Clips. Somehow it didn't feel that way as they got too many second chance points.

Re. Griffin and Morris, I think Rudy just wanted veterans in the game down the stretch and in overtime. Morris just looks like he belongs and he'll get in soon enough. Francis is simply incredible, and re. that "pork" thing, he has somehow figured out when and how to take over a game ;)

10. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Yes - I'm more than willing to forgive the 0 for 5 tonight. Cato worked hard and got screwed by the refs on more than one occasion. Hopefully Willis will show him how to pump fake tomorrow.

11. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

The officials were really bad. The double foul on Cato was silly. I rewinded on Tivo and didn't see anything more than incidental contact that occurs everytime two folks go for a rebound. Plus a defensive 3 second on Cato earlier was equally bad. The refs had it in for us tonight.

But we got the benefit of some calls vs. ATL earlier.

It's great to see the team finding ways to win even if it ain't pretty. Can't wait till they start hitting some shots.

12. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Which is the real Cato? Game 1 or Game 2? He was terrible tonight. I think its time to let Kevin start. Kevin can get you a double-double almost every night.

13. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

He wasn't terrible. He played hard. He didn't get distracted by the 3+ BS fouls against him. The refs took him out of the game. Cato did pretty much what was asked of him.

But I was glad Kevin was on the floor at the end. ;)

Boy, people jump off the Cato bandwagon quick.

14. treeman

treeman Member

One of the first things I said the night we got Willis was that Cato just lost his starting job. I hope he proves me wrong, I really do. But Willis is averaging a double-double so far (or close to it), so...

Even at 39 he's probably in better shape than Kelvin. He has better range and better judgment. Better leadership as well, retter rebounding instincts, better positioning (except for blocking)...

15. Old School

Old School Member

Just as fast as they jumped on it after game 1.

Old School

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Cato is not a scorer. I can forgive an o for night every 15 games from Cato. Time will tell if this is a trend. He fouled out in 22 minutes. Thats's a little quick, but I'd rather him be fighting and fouling than rolling over and playing 40.

Him fouling out tells me he is active.

17. Toast

Toast Member

Hey, I was Cato when Cato wasn't cool ;)

And I'm still Cato.

Go Cato!

18. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

I certainly agree w/ this. Cato may not have scored, but he was very active and was playing hard and trying and to me that's pretty important. It would be one thing if he was just standing around whining, but he was definitely giving a good effort out there and imho, was the victim of some real bad calls.

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that pretty much defines them as bandwagoners.

20. idrockfan

idrockfan Contributing Member

I was definitely pleased with the way Cato played last night. His stats don't show it, and yes he was screwed on some calls, but I was pleased with his intensity and hussle.

We need to look at it not from the point of view of his paycheck, but instead compare his play this year to the way he played last year. He is playing 200 times better, although he needs to be 4 million times to earn his paycheck, at least he is improving.