1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TwinCities.com] Eddie Griffin close to signing with Wolves 5M per

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

5M per season would eat up the Wolves entire MLE as the Wolves dont have Eddie's bird rights since he only signed a 1 year deal last year.

4. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Wow.

Griffin is so talented and had the talent to be the 1st pick overall. He showed it in games and everyone here in Clutchcity was drooling about the potential after the game he had his rookie season against the Lakers. That is before he got scared and started to shoot only 3 pointers.

What is amazing is that Griffin is still going to get a contract close to what the top FA power forwards are getting :eek:

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Honestly, I am not all that shocked. If you watched Griffin play with the Wolves last year, he was an impact player for them. They liked him in the lineup paired with KG. Griffin was a lot more effective than Kandi was at C at times. So I can see why they would want him back to add to their front court. Considering what front court players are getting these days on the open market, I can see why the Wolves would want to hang onto Griffin.
    They key will be for how long the deal is. I bet it is a 3 or 4 year deal.

6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

DaDakota faints

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

8. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

That IMO is one of the few reasonable contracts being handed out. Walker, SAR, and Swift are worth more a little more than the MLE and most of the guards out there deserve a lot less.

9. micah1j

micah1j Member

I hope Eddie just didn't raise the bar with this deal. He is way down the list of PFs and still got near MLE money. :(

But there are not to many team with cap room left now so it may be a moot point.

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Wow. Maybe the worst signing of the summer. Worse than the freebie Raefer got last year. Not as bad as Foyle's.

Idiotic move by the Wolves. Hope it's only 1 mill with incentives that could push it to 5, but I know it's not.

Evan

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Is he negotiating from jail??

12. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

My first thought as well. We better lock up a PF before the craziness hits "ludicrous speed" ... or we'll be left negotiating a max deal with Reggie freaking Evans.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd sooner give that coin to Eddie Griffin than Gadzuric!

14. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Or gasp, Mark Madsen. :eek:

Eh, this deal is eh. Griffin did provide good weakside D and rebounding for the Wolves, and popped that low arc 3 that he does. He still has no post moves though. I guess he is a good complement to KG (tall, long, good help on D and doesn't clog the lane for KG).

15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Why? Gadzuric averaged 7.3ppg, 8.3rpg, 1.3bpg in just 22 minutes (plus a .539 FG%). In about the same minutes, Eddie averaged 7.5ppg, 6.5rpg, 1.7bpg (with a .387 FG%).

I wouldn't say one's any better than the other, though I'd rather have Gadzuric because he hasn't gotten into any trouble and he's shown improvement every year he's been in the league.

EDIT: I beat you :D

#15 dharocks, Jul 12, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2005
  16. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Why? You'd get a soft "power" forward that won't play inside, sits at the 3 point line (40% of his FGA last year were 3s) and therefore can't get to rebounds. He's a nice weakside blocker here and there during a game, but rarely slows down his own man. On top of that, he's MIA either mentally or physically half the time.

Gadzuric might the more obscure name, but he really developed into a solid player last year. 7.3 and 8.3 (shooting over 50%) to EG's 7.5 and 6.5, and finished strong in April averaging 10 and 11. More consistent than EG.

Both chip in 20 mpg, but D.G. is who I'd want as an interior player if given the choice. He's also a much safer investment.

-shaking a friendly fist at dharocks-

Evan

#16 emjohn, Jul 12, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2005
  17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Deuce, I just noticed it is your birthday today. Happy birthday :).

18. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I'm just shocked that there are people cheering Griffin getting a contract when he is in legal trouble every other week. I'm even more shocked that there are people upset at the Rockets not getting him and that 5 million per year for a guy who is jail is a bargain.

19. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

That's like saying I'd rather get stabbed in a mugging instead of being shot.

20. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Really? You'd rather have Griffin and his personal issues and unfulfilled potential than one of the best rebounders in the league?