1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Westworld Season 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Just caught up to episode four. So many themes they can chose from... I can see why clickbait titles on feeds call it Lost.

Who is that data core for? Ford acts like the agents from the Matrix (maybe he owns the internet?). He kept that little boy as a body only to throw it away by trolling Ed Harris. If it's not him, who does he care enough to remake?

I hate how Bernard flashes in and out. Totally lazy writing that artificially ramps up suspense. He's more of a plot device rather than a spotlight on a simulation's struggle between free will, his innate AI code (genetics), Agent Ford mind rape sessions, and the implanted mind of a murdered Bernard. Wtf is he? Who cares... Because he's crazy! That's his personality!

The data mining part is intriguing. It's next level Black mirror stuff. Westworld is a luxury park for the 1% to come back to. They've essentially downloaded personally engrams based off of the most heavily surveiled area AND taken their dna in the process. Maybe that IP is genetic material and personal secrets... Give into our blackmail or we'll literally (cl)own you.

The Papa Dalos subplot made a better episode 4. While Bernard is going through his cliche'd Pinocchio-like struggle for a soul, Ed Harris was a piece of work to use the old man as his lab rat. Once Papa Dalos had enough "fidelity", it was time to Black Mirror his ass. Technically, they could've just did all that in VR, but then you wouldn't have that artificially hyped up red room scene where that chick, who didn't lose weight or think about food while living on ketchup packets (turning 30 sucks), suddenly didn't know how to use a shotgun.

Anyways, downloading into a Westbot didn't work... Or did it? Ed Harris ignored that technician and "buried the evidence". Is Bernard suffering the same thing, or is it too many cooks? This is one thing to look back into season 1 if this show isn't a flaming mess by year 4-5. Huge potential for the company here... Pay us money and we'll literally (cl)own you. I can see why that douche son drugged himself out.

So that promised land "glory" is a weapon according to Delores. Ed Harris cooked it up when he was young, but the Westbot download project wasn't successful yet? I would've thought it would be some bioweapon to kill all fleshy meatbags, but now he doesn't seem to believe in immortality when he talked to Papa Dalos. I haven't figured out his moral code either. How did this weapon come to be for both Ford and Ed Harris to let it happen?

This was the plot of a space sci fi from ten years ago. I don't want to name it to spoil it.

I think it would be a cop out to discard present day themes just for a shamalan twist.

#41 Invisible Fan, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    peleincubus likes this.
  2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

^^^^^
    I disagree with this

I have actually found this season better. I was ready to ditch the show before season 1 ended well.

DreamShook likes this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah... it’s early but probably my favorite episode of WW that aired tonight.

Not sure if anyone got the not so subtle call out to “The Door”.

GRENDEL, DreamShook and Invisible Fan like this.
  5. Invisible Fan

WW is definitely a trial in patience. No more random hot naked chicks to spice up the talkie talkie.

The time jumping is tedious but it's the same part of the puzzle building the op/ed writer loved in the first season. I guess when the "key" is turned, Dalos is planning to kill off all the meat jobs and upload the 1% into immortal robots. That sort of blockbuster movie villainy doesn't work with the pacing and format of this show, so they chopped everything up and exploded the cast for each storyline.

For the latest episode, I liked that it painted a deeper picture of the robots growth. Some of the way they described the park people sound like ancient myths and epics. People emerging underground, traveling through death to reach their love, tribesmen wanting to be taken away, guests who shall not be harmed...

We act more like Greco-Roman gods to these robots than the all knowing Ford.

GRENDEL likes this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

@Commodore , don't know if you caught this slightly different and more somber piano arrangement of heart-shaped box. I loved it.
    And though I don't follow the show regularly, Akecheta is one of my favorite characters.

(sorry, possible spoiler if someone is not up on the show).

Caesar likes this.
  7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's funny, this latest episode felt, in part, like a throw away to me...but it was also one of my favorite so far. I loved that they basically explained the origin of the "maze" and how it came to be so important to everyone. Funny how Ed Harris' character put so much importance in that and following it out and it was never intentional by Ford to begin with.

In general, I would agree that the two timelines add too much confusion. I told my wife after season one that it was kind of a neat gimick to do some reveals there at the end but I hope they don't keep going to that well, and they have. Here lately, I have to pause the show once or twice an episode and kind of talk through events with my wife so we can make sure our head is in the right timeframe, because it is often far from obvious.

Caesar likes this.
  8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

These last 2 episodes have been pretty great, really looking forward to the finale.....

Caesar likes this.
  9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think episode 8 was the best of the entire show. How did Bernard escape from being water boarded?

GRENDEL likes this.
  10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Ed Harris is doing a wonderful job! In fact, you're all doing a wonderful job! ;)

GRENDEL likes this.
  11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I think they did go too far with the timelines. It might work if someone binges the entire season but not if you have a week of life in the middle of each episode. I will rewatch to see.

I like how they are paying off things from season 1 that they never go to. Those are satisfying details.

12. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Is Ed Harris a robot lol? He keeps holding his arm and just started digging into it. And also I can't believe he shot his daughter.

13. mrm32

mrm32 Member

He's so immersed in WW that he has lost track of what is real and what is not. He is starting to question everything he has ever done not knowing if someone else is pulling the strings or if he's doing it from his own free will. He's cutting his arm open to see if he has one of those inputs that hosts have. At this point if he can't tell if he's human or host, does it really matter?

14. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Actually, the idea of robots isn't 100% correct.

The so called "host' in WW are having so many different versions.

There are normal and the ordinary version like everyday allow the guest to play, f**k, and kill.

Then there are the unique or super versions :

- Bernard is the super user, Delores was one of the first built, the 'ghost' was the alpha 2 version, even Robert, could be just the extension/super version version of Arnold (assuming he is the creator and he started all the codes for this place).

And then we have the human (more specific Williams) wanted to utilize this place for his goal of making human to be immortal, and Ed Harris may as well to be the end product of this type of build.

So technically, when Ed Harris will cut his arm, he may or may not find any wires or metal, but eventually he will discover he was dead long ago and this "host" body that currently he is using, is just an extension of his own mind and memory,

However, there is a catch, that still, this plan of becoming immortal failed at the end, its not about whether the memory and the body will work without any glitch (see previous what happened to his father in law for the failure version), its about the soul.

Ed Harris kept mentioning one thing, that his soul was tainted, deep down, there is something under the skin and changed him.

That may not be actually coming from the original human being of Williams, that may as well coming from the extension version, the immortal version, the successful product at the end - the man in black, Ed Harris.

At then end, we can think about this : when you are reaching the status of immortal, you actually will discover the deepest, and darkest side of the human being, and that's the most scary part.

Rashmon, Richie_Rich, GRENDEL and 2 others like this.
  15. Roscoe Arbuckle

Ugh. That last episode was so boring. I had to watch it in 10 minute increments just to get through it. The other stupid part of the show is that someone getting killed means nothing. They can always bring back the character as a "host."

I liked the first season, but season 2 is as slow as Mrs. Butterworth.

16. Invisible Fan

One thing I have to remind myself is that this show is a marathon rather than a sprint. It's one of those shows you wish had cancellation looming every season, yet always gets picked up for the next. That pressure worked great with the middle seasons of Chuck....

I think there was some steps taken back in this episode, which tells me the season finale will be one of those middle cliffhangers to continue onto the next like Lost.

They chopped and screwed up the continuuity so bad with 3+ timelines over the season that I didn't realize that they already showed what ultimately happened at the literal Uncanny Valley*. I wouldn't be surprised if skin jobs downloaded into hosts and vice versa.

It was flooded with dead host bodies.

GRENDEL likes this.
  17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I'll typically rewatch the previous episode before the new ones start each week.

I'm planning on watching the marathon they'll play this Sunday leading into the finale in order to digest it all in one feel swoop.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They went Marvel Studios at the end

DreamShook and Invisible Fan like this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Looks like it'll be Ed Harris with the chopped and screwed time ****ery next season.

That plot device is crazy exhausting.

Keep the formula simple... More boobs, less timelines.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I felt like the finale had like 3 endings