1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Westworld on HBO

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tehG l i d e, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

also Ex Machina (robot lying to creator)

2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Very cool show! Watched it last night, I haven't seen the movie.

The music is by the persian composer, Ramin Djawdi.... he does Game Of Thrones music.

3. Buck Turgidson

Also the Simpsons visiting Itchy and Scratchy Land

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

It also has a "The Island" feel to it mixed in.

5. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I'm calling it now that Teddy will be the robot to "go nuts" and start shooting all the humans. He's coming for you, Ed Harris!

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Do we know for sure any bullets are real? I ask because it seems for safety reasons they wouldn't want guests to accidentally shoot each other, and everyone looks so real.

I'm thinking maybe all bullets are fake and just bounce off. However, if they hit a Host, the Host will explode for the effect. Seems with the technology they have in Westworld, it's not a stretch to believe the Hosts can be equipped with ways to explode when hit by the equivalent of a paint ball. Would be quite a safety risk of guests shooting guests by accident if you actually gave them real bullets.

7. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Totally does.

And the Prisoner sort of

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, I think I am combining 2 things, the initial reaction when she saw the photo at the house with her first father and then the line of questioning on the outside afterwards. I guess what I was wondering was what was whispered to her before the dad locking up, and then even though she was supposed to not remember I'm wondering if there is some lapse with the new dad taking over. I mean obviously these were just thoughts I had but then being asked if she lied about anything during interrogation (but then deliberately lying about not hurting living things and then hurting the fly). I just have a feeling she knows more, being the oldest in the park and having the most experiences,maybe on top of reveries she found a way to be more self aware. Iirc the bots I thought would acknowledge if they weren't real and she ignores the question when asked about it by the park guests too after a brief pause.

Obviously I am just going off of one episode and might be going in a completely different direction. But also she could have lied (or will eventually) about being a real person and that would be the first step to passing the turing test with guests.

It's also interesting when James Marsden's character overhears the guests talking about shooting him while he's in the hallway. I was thinking it was interesting watching him process that knowing he couldn't do anything. I have a feeling there's something more to that after the encounter with Ed Harris.

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I was wondering this too... Good thoughts

10. heypartner

Yeah, giving guests actual bullets in your family-friendly amusement park would be like Disney-Orlando having real alligator ponds next to their resort beaches. They'd never do that.

Rashmon and CCity Zero like this.
  11. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

In the article I read (may have been one posted in this thread, I can't remember because I have read several) the creator said the bullets were the key to why hosts couldn't kill guests. He said instead of the gun like the original, they adapted the technology to be smart bullets that hit the guest like bb's and the hosts like regular bullets. He said they didn't want the guests to get off free but they also didn't want them harmed. They wanted them to realize they had been shot so he said the bullets are written as smart bullets that have an effect but not much of one on guests. That solves the problem of guests shooting guests with them . They are programed to not hit guests no matter who shoots them. I am going to see if I can find the article where I read this.

Edit: Here it is. It was posted earlier by Commodore. It is rule 1

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.co...estworld-hbos-killer-robot-theme-park-series/

12. heypartner

thx...I feel better they addressed that. It would bother me as a plot-hole if they didn't address the safety concerns of giving humans deadly bullets in an amusement park.

Cool they said they want the Guests to feel something and not get off for free, like paint ball.

As for smart bullets, I won't bother addressing the physics of kinetic energy in the mass/motion of even a smart bullet; but whatever they do, it seems likely there is some type of technology, either by exploding tiny mass smart bullets or by exploding Hosts hit by tiny mass bullets, whereby a damaging hit is only registered on the Host.

13. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah it's semantics related to a fictional futuristic show so you have to suspend reality a bit. But it would definitely be plausible to say we have technology that makes a simunition hit on a Host create a life like wound while only being a small sting to a guest. that could also create plausible scenario for how Ed Harris could potentially be a host who has modified his programming to not react to the bullet impacts making him seem like a guest. I think this show has the ability to swap protagonist and antagonist easily as the show goes on. Much like Heroes did it's first season. They have a lot of potential gray area characters who could be perceived as good/bad only to be shown to be the opposite.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If that was the case why did ed harris not wince when he got shot?

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

What I dont understand is if this show is suppose to be futuristic, wouldn't they just use VR so no harm would come to the guests?

16. heypartner

You can't ride a VR horse. Plus, VR is not very futuristic. I'm sure Jontro uses VR right now. But in his futuristic world, he wants to ride humanlike androids.

17. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Just watched last night. Great new addition to my TV lineup. I can't wait to see where it goes.

18. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

No idea,you would have to ask the creator of the show. The info in that post came directly from an article that quoted the show creator. He said the answer to why the guns couldn't kill humans lay in the ammunition and not the gun. The ammunition allowed for only a small sting to humans and a much larger impact for hosts. That has been basically the idea behind the theory that Ed Harris being human and not robot. My second post above just explains how the info about ammunition could be explained away if it turns out he is actually a host pretending to be human.

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Neither can anyone else who has never ridden a real horse. I know I am over thinking it, but the reality of the dangers keep nagging me.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

if the hosts can't hurt a living thing, why does Teddy try to shoot The Man in Black?