1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Westworld on HBO

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tehG l i d e, Aug 9, 2015.

1. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Haven't seen this on my radar, might need to check it out. Clutchfans has become my go-to for show recommendations. Not always right, but usually is.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I've never seen the original source material so I don't have much of a reference here. Honestly didn't come across feeling that engaged by what was going on. Hopefully that changes.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Whatever you do don't watch The Wire nor Breaking Bad. Both are awful.

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Hahaha, come on!!??? Joking right?? :)

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Because I can't stand BS about dragons and kings my opinion on TV is worthless? Some of us like like SciFi doofus.

Trigger warning

Lord of the Rings blows.

6. val_modus

val_modus Member

LoTR and Game of Thrones is the definition of apples to oranges lol

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Count me as one that doesn't give a rip about Game of Thrones.

8. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

There's a difference between selling it as a GoT like show and being like GoT. Looks like it'll take time before the plot develops but I would expect each character's motivations to surface after they're done with the world building. I feel like they won't just be stuck in between the park world and the real world. The conversation about the park owners/creators motivations seem to set that up. As for characters being less emotional, most of the characters introduced so far are robots so I think that's on purpose.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

so did the overlords observe what the Man in Black was doing at the end up in the hills?

10. Commodore

11. Buck Turgidson

LOL, the Trekkie got triggered.

12. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I trusted HBO and was hopeful. They almost always come correct minus True Detective Season 2.

But Western Sci-fi mashups are almost always this horrible steampunk nightmare. So I was hesitant. I had Back to the Future 3 , Wild West, Star Trek Bonanza, Cowboys vs Aliens on the mind.

So with that preface, I thought it was baaaaaaad aaaaaaaass. One of the strongest S1E1s in a while. It was like a Black Mirror Groundhog Day Showbiz Pizza OK Corral. .

I already like how strongly they sorta lit the room that is this world, and introduced a half dozen characters, introduced the moral dilemma and looming danger-train a comin'.

I recommend the Bald Move podcast on this too. (It's free) I follow those guys on a lot of different shows. Anyways I was glad to hear how knocked off their feet they were about it as well.

Got some fellow movie buff pals chiding me for not having seen the 1973 original, but now I've made it a priority to watch it this weekend.

13. Buck Turgidson

I don't think it will spoil anything about this series. It's worth it just to see Yul Brenner in full badass mode.

VooDooPope and gifford1967 like this.
  14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Yet both have a bunch of similar things I don't care for.
    Not really a Trekkie but I do like Sci-Fi including michael crichton aka >>>>>>>> george martin.

15. Commodore

popular theory is the hosts are absorbing the reveries of the guests and it's creating contradictions in their programming and causing them to crash (the guy who crashed had a fly land on him moments earlier)

but as shown in the final scene, Dolores has somehow overcome this

Jonathan Nolan hinted at this recently; Dolores is pretending to fail the Turing test (she's giving correct answers, but not honest ones)

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, that definitely sounds correct on Turing test, I mean she definitely seems to know more than letting on, especially with the lying on the photo or acting pre-programmed. I also think they would be aware of the guy in black, about what he was doing but honestly it didn't seem like it.. I don't know a lot about the source material but I'm thinking he's going to be the key to getting Dolores and maybe Cyclops on the train to revolt.

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The only common thing this show has with GoT ... they are both HBO productions. Nothing. Else. In. Common

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why do you say she was lying about not knowing what the photo was? They don't recall anything from day-to-day. Quote from the show, "The memories are purged after every narrative loop."

Everything is replayed. Thus, why she doesn't remember people from previous visits or dropping the can every day. She could naturally pass the test and yet still be starting the onset of reverie buggy behavior...starting with swatting the fly for the first time, due to memories of evil making her protect herself.

Well, that's the definition of a reverie.

They explained how the Hosts get purged at the end of every narrative loop, but still have data/memories of experiences with the guests, like a harddrive that has deleted files, but hasn't been zero-filled, and Anthony Hopkins added code to tap into them -- "like a subconscious." This was all explained when the scientists were watching with amazement the w**** touch her lips with her finger. What was the line, "Like a hooker with hidden depths." I took that as meaning Hopkins code is allowing her to access memories of meeting a romantic guest or someone who took her away from it all for an exciting weekend.

The father not only has a reverie of his daughter being raped repeatedly, but his buggy behavior is also getting muddled with his 4 previous characters, one of which liked to recite Shakespeare. Hopkins figured out the previous characters acting up, but he fails to fully grasp the father's programmed duty to protect Dolores.

And let's not forget that Dolores is the oldest Host in the park...so she'll have the most reveries. But she doesn't have a mix of characters like her dad character, so she might be able to control them better.

Dolores is special. I predict a plot of Ground Hog Day and Edge of Tomorrow coming into play, whereby Dolores starts remembering more between narrative loops and teaches her boyfriend.

#78 heypartner, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I like reading people's theories (or I would not read them) In my opinion it's like shooting darts in the dark, trying to do it after one episode. If this show gains popularity and is high quality it could end up being all over the place, with completely different settings.

CCity Zero likes this.
  20. hooroo

hooroo Member

It's more like the original Jurassic Park. I never really thought much of the original picture, just felt like another Hollywood blockbuster to me.