1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Westworld on HBO

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tehG l i d e, Aug 9, 2015.

1. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I like it so far. Wish they would have done a prohibition era world as opposed to a western one. And given his history, im already assuming Anthony Hopkins is the villain.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I'm surprised so many people haven't seen the original movie.

It is a classic with the original Terminator.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I kept trying to relate the characters back to the original movie. For example, my strong belief going in was Ed Harris was playing the Yule Brenner gunslinger character from the original movie. But, it quickly became apparently that the Ed Harris character is a paying guest and not a robot. I had it so etched in my mind coming in waiting all this time that Ed Harris was that robot character. So, I felt a bit disappointed by that.

But, it also became apparent that they are totally doing their own thing here and it is only loosely related to the movie. I just wasn't sure what to expect. I'm not sure who the Yule Brenner equivalent is here. There are a couple of suspects but there may not be a character intended to be that particular gunslinger character. I hope such a character comes out once the craziness begins. But, since it isn't Ed Harris who I thought was the only one who could pull it off, I no longer have any expectations in this regard.

Yule Brenner and his character in the original movie totally made the whole thing imo. It was one for the ages. Without such a standout performance and character, that whole movie sucks imo. I hope they are going to have a character who makes a similar impression but I haven't seen him yet. They seem to be totally focusing on the female character and that appears to be the central robot character in this story.

4. Bandwagoner

You are just getting the robots sense of life through her perspective. I'm glad they don't copy characters even though the OG Terminator was so awesome.

I think the world can work great without a central character. They have a ton of great actors involved, might as well use them.

That said if they don't bring back the completely unrealistic huge and fast VTOL plane I'm not watching it. No matter how many red hallways they have for fan service.

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

Figured it was Rodrigo Santoro's character "Hector Escaton." Dressed all in black too.

6. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was very impressed by the first episode. Really well done. Thought provoking.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Really enjoyed it. Can't wait till the next episode.

8. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

They're selling it as a Sci Fi Game of Thrones so most likely there won't be a central character. They're using the Game of Thrones composer and even the intro is GoT like.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And like GoTs, there's book readers and movie watches to spoil the plot for us. Looks like it already started. :eek:

10. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I don't think it'll be a big issue, I think the show has lifted the general idea from the movie but they've got a lot denser theme going.......

11. Bandwagoner

Watched again.
    why do you assume ed harris is a paying guest? he has to be the terminator

12. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm going to spoiler this just in case someone hasn't seen episode 1, as this would give a few details about that episode. it is nothing earth shattering but does reveal some of episode 1's plot line.
    He has alluded to that by saying he had been coming there for the experience for 30 years and he wanted a different experience. That coupled with the fact that Teddy couldn't shoot him leads you to believe he is human. Now there are ways to write themselves out of that, but I have some ideas about how I think the story will play out and it would change some of them if it were shown he was just glitching the system to make it appear he was human. Not out of the realm of possibility but from what we know right now he is human.

13. Bandwagoner

there are also clues the other way they would need to write themselves out of. I think he is the Terminator. I don't think it is clear right now tho.

14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

This is nothing like GoT. No machinations. No large expansive world (just the opposite). Every character is far less emotional then any on GoT

15. Bandwagoner

I made it 10 minutes into game of thrones. I hope they don't go that route with this.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden on the player piano was a nice touch

CCity Zero and Castor27 like this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Yep. That episode was pretty badass all the way around.

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I need to check that out again, unfortunately missed that. I know the Rolling Stones "Paint it, Black" was there during shootout.

Pretty interesting show so far

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

at first I didn't understand the significance of killing the fly at the end, but then remembered she promised to never harm a living thing (which would include more than humans)

CCity Zero likes this.
  20. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

If you gave up after 10 minutes of GOT... your opinion on TV is worthless

VooDooPope likes this.