1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV]The Expanse season 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fchowd0311, Feb 16, 2017.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Venus.

heypartner likes this.
  2. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I can understand why some people are frustrated with the show. Frankly, I think this show is made for binge-watching. It has multiple story-lines that converges and diverges. If you are watching it weekly, sometimes you'd have to wait a few weeks in order for a story arc to pay off. Sometimes it's easy to forget about details from an episode a month ago.

Invisible Fan and dmoneybangbang like this.
  3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

"realistic" sci fi is a great genre.

liked Thomas Jane since 61* feel he isn't given roles he deserves

this is a great way to show lived in dirty sci fi populated by real characters but still have it part of a "white room sci fi" future. If your futuristic story doesn't take place in a world I want to live in my interest drops like a rock.

Rocket River likes this.
  4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The show did tell you about them if you followed along.

Holden is mad at Miller because Miller killed the scientist who knows the most about the protomolecule. Holden thinks he has valuable information, but Miller sees a mad scientist who murdered a colony for research.

Naomi cares for Miller because she's sympathetic to him and his search for Julie. She also agreed with Miller for killing the scientist and had a spat with Holden, her new sex buddy, since she and Holden disagreed.

Fred Johnson wasn't trusted by the UN because he was part of the OPA, a terrorist group. He's universally disliked for firing upon a striking colony. He quietly left the UN after feeling disenfranchised with them and started the OPA.

I don't mean to insult you, but it seems like you're watching this without really paying attention. I find myself drifting at times when I'm tired and missing some details, so I have to go back and rewatch that segment. It's easier with DVR and using captions to understand the dialogue, especially with the Belters's South African accents. It's a show that requires your attention. Whether or not it captures your attention is another thing, which I do agree that it needs to do better with the lulls.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

All this I knew. Didn't care, because we didn't even know who that scientist was or much of anything behind the science of the protomolecule to even register possibly how important it may or may not have been. Also the killing was way too fast for me to see a mad scientist possibility. It was like we had to agree later why Holden might be mad and why Miller felt compelled to quickly shoot. We had no compelling reason to take a side, until they told us later what the two sides were.

The test for this would be if the show ended right after Miller kills the scientist....and a big debate with viewers ensued taking both sides. I was just not there in the context of the situation to have a take or a side to agree upon.

All I was thinking was... OK, that escalated quickly ... whaaatt happened.

Some of this I knew. But I was totally not following the search for Julie saga.

This was probably lack of attention on my part, plus not really remembering last season. Wasn't most of this last season? I blame this partly on the show getting way too busy with characters. In that sense, it is Game of Thrones epic-story, sci-fy, but I didn't care to rewind over and over and learn all the characters.

So, yeah you got me for not giving the attention it required. I should have been stoned while watching it...and watched it with a buddy.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I just binge-watched up to the current episode.

This show is fantastic. One of the best on right now. Not having any of the confusion problems.. perhaps its because of the binge watching. I guess I can see how some might find the show a bit slow. It doesn't have the constant space fighting type scenes that Battlestar Galactica had... but they've done a great job adding some in.

And they're about as realistic as you can get with a show like this.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

Thank you! Yes this show is fantastic. Next episode is going through be huge on ganymede.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The Expanse has been renewed for season 3. A lot of critical acclaim, but no one is watching. How are they paying for this show?

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The ratings are not great?
    That is surprising

Rocket River

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The Magicians gets better ratings. Almost 2x the viewers. Dark Matter, Killjoys and Van Helsing have more viewers too..
    http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/syfy-tv-show-ratings-updated-33879/

I'm guilty of enjoying The Magicians (and Dark Matter) more than The Expanse and sci-fi is my genre..

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think I will be leaving Magicians next season . . .it is just too much for me now
    Dark Matter and surprisingly Van Helsing has my eyes . . . .

Rocket River

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I watched the first couple episodes of the Magicians and found it too ridiculous and poorly acted. But to each their own. You can say the same thing about Dark Matter and Killjoys and I like those.

I think Expanse is far superior but maybe is too heavy and complex for many viewers??

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The Expanse has steadily improved into a very good show. Unfortunately, the huge ratings decline this season means its doomed.

The 3rd season will definitely be the last, if they don't change their minds and cancel it after two.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Magicians is not even Sci-Fi. Even Killjoys is only marginally Sci-Fi.

Rocket River likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

Yup. The Expanse is my Sci-fi space opera fix that I've yearned for a long time since BSG.

No doubt the show has it's annoyances. Holden, one of the leads, is just not fun main protagonist The characters that surround him are much better. Who doesn't love Alex and Amos? Also the romance is kinda forced between Holden and Naomi.

16. fchowd0311

Ratings definitely has me worried. I'm really hoping Netflix picks it up.

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I know. That's why I'm surprised I'm enjoying The Magicians more than The Expanse. Maybe my post wasn't clear.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You are not alone. The ratings are with you.

I am surprised a little but probably should not be, given some of the other shows ScyFy trots out, like Face Off, Paranormal Witness, Sharknado, Z Nation, etc.

19. dmoneybangbang

This. I totally forgotten about this show as it is the perfect binge watch. For no reason, I stopped watching weekly after episode 3, but managed to watch the rest yesterday.

As a sidenote, I really like the opening credits and glad they have it at the beginning of every episode unlike the first season.

20. dmoneybangbang

Good episode leading up to the finale. While this show isn't like Jericho, I hope they don't ruin it by trying to cram too much into Season 3 (probably the last season due to ratings).