1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV]The Expanse season 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fchowd0311, Feb 16, 2017.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm surprised no thread for the series. Am I the only one who enjoys it on this board? Well the 4th episode of this season came out last night and this is show is shaping up to be an all time classic in my book. DaDakota, I know you are a sci-fi fan. You have to have been watching this series right?

I guess spoiler tags apply so some pretty epic stuff happened at the very end of last episode...

Bandwagoner likes this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I don't think it's good enough for a thread per Season. The original thread is enough.

Here it is. You can read what others are thinking about it. Not much chatter this Season, though.

[TV] The Expanse

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Were saving up to binge watch. Just he way it is these days with shows.

4. fchowd0311

I enjoy my binge watch sessions but weekly epoisdes allows for a larger community discussion of plot theories and other conversations. It's more fun that way.

I don't think a series like Game Of Thrones would be as popular if it wasn't weekly.

MoonBus and heypartner like this.
  5. heypartner

I completely agree with this. Bing watching has its role, and I do prefer it for a lot of shows, but it pretty much eliminates all discussion while the shows are unfolding. Kinda takes the social fun out of it, except with your S.O.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I like The Expanse, but it just doesn't live up to the praise it receives IMO.

It seems to have all the ingredients for greatness but doesn't quite get there for me.

KingCheetah and DreamShook like this.
  7. fchowd0311

Did you watch the current season so far? Just curious because it may change your mind.

8. heypartner

Agree. I couldn't quite put my finger on it until I watched s02e01 to remember/realize. There are no characters I'm embracing, yet. It's missing the oh-so elusive character-building where I'm captivated by someone....whether it's via great writing or great acting. No character is bringing "It" for me.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I watch every week and this season is definitely an improvement (partially because last season was very clumsy laying the foundation). Yesterday's episode was very good indeed.

I'm also a major sci-fi buff and don't demand perfection. I've read the online reviews and comments here and I'm not there yet. Clearly this show can grow into something special but it isn't there yet.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Maybe that's the problem. When one or two of the characters emerge as compelling, things will go to another level.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The novels are excellent, but it took awhile for some "definition' of the main characters to emerge. I'm hoping The Expanse in this form will get there. Considering what a massive work the novels are, I wonder if the series will be on long enough for that to happen. I hope so.

Speaking of The Expanse, Ceres, which plays a big part in the novels and the series, is getting a close look by the Dawn spacecraft. From what I've seen so far, the future (assuming we don't destroy ourselves first) could see human settlements on the scale invisioned by the authors (it's actually 2 guys writing the novels).

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Have watched every episode so far....and I'm on the edge of being out. I thought this was supposed to be a smart show, but there are too many cookie cutter dumbass characters.

13. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Watched a few episodes. Not bad. Need to binge it and catch up.

14. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Wow... You were disappointed with last night's episode? I thought it was one of the best episodes of any shows I've ever seen. It tied together all the story lines perfectly, and it really should've been the finale last season. While there are a few cookie cutter characters, I've really enjoyed the character development of the main characters like Holden, Miller and Amos.

15. fchowd0311

I just watched it. Didn't have time last night but MOTHER OF GOD...

How can you not love Miller? His interaction with Julie was so touching and epic at the same time. I loved how for an episode and a half Miller was just lugging around a nuclear warhead that he needed to reset every minute and didn't give a ****.

Miller and Amos are my two favorite characters. Fred Johnson and Avasarala are close behind.

Best show on TV IMO

16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I wrote my reply at the 20 minute mark of last night's episode. I did enjoy the rest. I think my biggest holdup is that I've seen so many syfy channel promos about the show with the quote "Game of Thrones in space" and I foolishly hold it up to that standard of writing during every show. I've been frustrated watching this series every time I encounter filler and two-dimensional characters. Every scene with the council is trash. But yes, the last half of last night's episode was good and I agree that it should have been the first season finale, which means it could have cut out so much filler from last season.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I read the books and the TV universe seems so much different it's hard to watch at times.

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I just don't feel like that moment was earned. This is the first time we have seen Julie do anything. It's been 1.5 seasons and we really have no real sense of her character or her relationship with Miller. She was talked about but shown very little.

That would have been an epic reunion if they built to that moment better. It was a nice moment. but I didn't care at all.

First season was such a slow burn, they could have used some of that time to flesh out Julie's character, her time with the OPA, her relationship with her father, and her relationship with Miller. They should have made this the Julie Mao show for season 1 then killed her. They shouldn't have killed her in the first scene of season 1 before telling us who she was.

The Captain of the Rosy is an annoying actor by the way. Every scene is of him gritting his teeth.

sorry for no spoilers, but I don't think enough people on the board care for it to be a problem.

19. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I thought it was a really good end to that arc. It felt very finale-like. Wonderfully shot and acted. If anything, they could've done more to flesh out Miller's obsession with Julie Mao, like say he had a sister like her or something. I don't think they needed to give us more on Julie.

Let me just add in a plug about the music. It complements the show very well, especially in the Julie Mao scene. I actually enjoy the opening credits and I typically skip those.

#19 Duncan McDonuts, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  20. heypartner

My take-away....I would have probably enjoyed the show much more, if I had been high the whole time watching it.

Man, I have no idea what happened. Characters just didn't captivate me enough to understand or care about the Julie/Miller finale. Nearly everything about character interaction made me wonder if I was missing something ... or they didn't develop enough. Like, I don't know why the Holden was so mad at Miller, then Naomi cared so much about him, and how Fred Johnson wasn't trusted. I'm sure viewers can tell me, but I don't care....the show did a poor job developing stuff like that which is necessary to pull of suspense and drama in a episode like the last one, imo. Show was too busy the whole time, it seemed.

It's a fantastically made show from the technical aspects of sci-fi, weaponry, physics, spacecraft, spacecraft life, cgi, etc. Well done.

btw: what planet did Eros hit? I was like ... hold on a second, am I supposed to feel suspense about something here.