1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] SyFy Channel - What was their best shows?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Nov 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Most SyFy's Movies are straight Trash
    I often wonder why they don't work in that area more

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Firefly and BSG, and you can't really deny the original Star Trek if you saw it before any others.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

BSG was an all timer, but the last part after the nonsense with Starbuck kept it from its place among TV luminaries. Still a spectacular show.

I've always enjoyed Haven myself. Certainly not a great show, but it's been good enough to keep me watching.

4. malakas

malakas Member

I don't watch a lot of tv shows but now that I learned that they will begin airing Childhoods End I will definitely watch. It's in my top3 of favourite sci fi books. I also fear that they won't achieve to translate it so well from the pages to the screen but the project it's extremely intriguing. The trailer was quite promising too.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Everytime I think of them translating a book . . .
    I think about their DUNE series

Rocket River

6. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Smackdown! was pretty good

7. malakas

malakas Member

But..what did you expect? Books like Dune or the Foundation can't be translated in the screen and even show 1/10 of their genius. They are TOO complex.
    Childhood's end is not like Dune tho. I have much better hope for it.
    I believe it is more translatable. And noone has ever tried yet.
    I must have read it more than 10 times. Even if they fail I will be there watching.:)

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Stargate Universe was terrible. It is one of the very very few shows that I quit watching after a few episodes. Putting CW trash on SyFy doesn't make it sci fi

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

You missed out. The last part of season 1 and all of season 2 were pretty awesome.

Newsflash: CW became the place for all your Sci-fi/Fantasy needs. who knew?

10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

After a good pilot, the first few episodes were pretty bland after that as they were mainly episodic find-resource-to-survive-type episodes with the classic Stargate exploration. But once the series started diving into the lore and mythology in the latter half of season 1 and through season 2, the series really took off.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I have no expection
    but that did not make it suck any less

Rocket River

12. malakas

malakas Member

I saw the first episode of Childhood's end. It was great. Can't wait for tomorrow to watch the next. I liked the choice of actors and the final appearance of Karelen, and the ads of the FreedomLeague. Even when it went off the book story I didn't mind because the spirit of what the author wanted to portray remained in my opinion.

13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I found it better than I hoped. I think they did a really good job visualizing the huge cultural shift that would ensue following the appearance of the Overlords. I recognized the kid in the wheelchair as the guy who chronicles the last day of the earth and his being healed was superbly done. It sort of dragged when it went off the book especially the parts about Ricky and his fiance(s) (including the dead one). Also, I would have liked to a bit see more of the fallout for religion, science and the global economy once the Overlords began to implement their plans but that's one of the limitations you run into adapting something as dense as this novel. The depiction of the Freedom League was spot on - they reminded me of the bigoted gun nuts up here demonstrating in front of mosques with AR15s. They absolutely nailed Karellen's appearance and did a good job of building up to the big reveal. Will be watching again tonight to see how they explore the fallout from the Overlords looking like the Satan.

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I watched "The Expanse". I missed "Childhood's End" but will check it out. I thought "The Expanse" was pretty good. It wasn't cheesy or anything. Thomas Jane adds some credibility to the cast. The effects were good and the acting was good. It had a few recognizable actors in it...which was surprising as you usually get no-names. The actual premise to the show is intriguing and is set in the future. SyFy is really turning the corner in the quality of their shows. They used to be just plain bad but they keep getting better.

15. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I streamed The Expanse's pilot a week ago. It's something I'll give a shot due to all the hype. The production on it is very good. It's a very political space thriller.

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

It struck me as a cross between Blade Runner and Total Recall. Not sure if I'll keep watching as this is not something I'd usually be interested in viewing.