1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TV Repair Advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tim562, Jan 16, 2015.

1. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

I have a 55" Toshiba 3D, 1080p, 240 Hz LED-LCD HDTV (Model Number 55TL515U) that may need repair. I went to turn on the TV, after watching it the night before, and the TV would not show a picture. I can hear the click to turn on when I hit the on the button on the remote, then the status light blinks green 3x, then pauses for a few seconds, then blinks again 3x. From my internet reseach, I may need a new Main Board but don't know for sure; so the issues to be diagnosed. Can anyone reccomend a TV Repair person or perhaps someone on CF is one and can fix my TV. Please let me know. Thanks!!

#1 tim562, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Have you disconnected and reconnected the power (wait around 15 minutes)?

3. tim562

Yep, disconnected for a few hours....then tried again. Same thing

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Sounds like the circus board.

5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Disconnect for a few days....then...

Hope it works for you breh!

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Sounds like bad capacitors. The power supply is trying to switch on, but voltage isn't stabilizing so it shuts off.

7. tim562

The TV never shuts off. The Green Indicator Light at the bottom just keeps flashing 3x, then pauses, then flashes 3x again...over and over. Its getting power.....

8. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

This man is correct. Flat screen TV manufacturers are notorious for putting wimpy capacitors on their main boards to save a fraction of a cent per unit. It's such an issue, there are websites dedicated to the issue, such as http://www.badcaps.net.

If you're brave enough to try it yourself, it's not very hard to fix. I had two blown caps on a Vizio TV that I replaced myself. $5 worth of parts and 5 minutes of soldering later, my TV was back up and hasn't missed a beat since.

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Sounds expensive. Any time I hear "board"...I see "$".

10. Faust

Faust Member

i haven't seen tv repairs in a long time. it's one of those old dying business like encyclopedia salesman. the made in china tvs are crap, if they break down outside the warranty you have to fix it yourself or go buy a new one. they dont want long lasting things to be sold. its less money for them. my granny's packard bell made in the usa from 50 years ago still works fine.

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I bought a Toshiba tv once....it died with in a year....never again.

It does sound like bad capacitors though. I had to do a repair on a monitor once due to the cheap capacitors. One of my Samsung 226BW monitors.