1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[tv] Parks & Recreation Series Finale

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by leroy, Feb 24, 2015.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Tonight at 9 pm. 1 hr episode. After 7 seasons, what might be the last good sitcom on tv currently comes to an end (though I am looking forward to The Last Man on Earth).

If you haven't watched this season yet, I think it's been pretty good. They've done a decent job of wrapping things up. It will be interesting to see what tonight brings to finish it off.

I would have loved to see a spin off of Andy and April but with Chris Pratt becoming the biggest star in the world, that isn't going to happen. Ron Swanson might be the best character on tv and it will be a shame to see him go.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Hyc1aMtnHJo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I thought they put out 25+ episodes a season? Didn't this season just start like 3 weeks ago?

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Brooklyn 99 ?
    Modern Family ?

4. leroy

6 weeks ago. They've been doing 2 a week with this season only scheduled for 13 episodes.

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Modern Family has been trash this season. I miss Raising Hope.

Brooklyn 99 has been amazing. I'd say it's a lot better than Parks and Rec (even compared with when P&R was good).

This season of P&R should have never existed.

6. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I thought this final season of Parks and Rec has been amazing. Sad to see it go, but its ending on a high note at least.

7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I have really enjoyed this season of Parks and Rec. The laughs aren't as big, but it's very heart warming to see where the characters are ending up, especially in last week's episodes.

I will probably be missing tonight's episodes and waiting for it to get on Hulu, where they have been uploading extended producer's cuts of certain episodes. I wish I knew beforehand which episodes would have extended cuts so I wouldn't have to miss the live premiers, but I at least expect the finale to be extended.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Between selling out for crap like Fear Factor, Biggest Loser and Weakest Link, prematurely abandoning stuff like Southland, backing away from pretty reliable comedic settings from the late '90s and not rebooting and retaining bona fide classics like West Wing, NBC forgot how to consistently make quality television.

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

My Name is Earl was amazing... and they killed it. They got fat and happy on the Office and 30 Rock. Now where is your comedy God NBC/Comcast/Kabeltown?!

10. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

If you let Marry Me breathe a little, it can be a really good show. Ken Marino, Casey Wilson, Tim Meadows, John Gemberling, etc. Solid cast and the writing will improve to better fit the strengths of the characters.

#10 dc rock, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  11. leroy

I don't think this was NBC's call. This was Poehler and the producers making the call that this is how it would end. Parks & Rec Season 7 to be last

As big of a fan of The West Wing that I was, unless they wanted to go the Law & Order route (constantly changing casts), that show ended with Bartlett's presidency.

Brooklyn 99 is funny. I haven't given it the effort that it likely deserves. I've tried with Modern Family. There's been funny shows but more that just seemed like the same thing over and over.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Modern Family has just become really predictable. It's painful because certain characters also just piss me off (the Alex character for one).

13. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Wow, I was glad we were getting double episodes per week, but not at the cost of being railroaded to the finale in the middle of February. I guess there's not that many loose ends to tie up anyways. Could've done without that Johnny Karate episode though.

14. 713

713 Member

i almost died from this scene.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LinpRhB4aWU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

That's also the ER route; between Schlamme, Wells and possibly Sorkin you could have churned out good, topical scripts for the next decade irrespective of the cast stability. Heck, keep it in virtual perpetuity on some hard to program night, like Fox does with the Simpsons. As long as they've held on to the Pederast Variety Hour, I would wish they'd have done the same with a multi-year best series contender.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think between Up All Night imploding some years back and the RomComocaust of Fall 2014 this show will be gone by next year.

17. leroy

I'm sure there will be b****ing because there's always b****ing about series finales...but that was one of the best ones in recent history. Even better, they went out on one of my favorite songs of all time..."End of the Line" by The Traveling Wilbury's.

the only question I think went unanswered was Ben and Leslie at Garry's funeral. They had Secret Service with them. I'm assuming that Leslie became president after her run as governor. Otherwise, everything else was pretty much wrapped up.

18. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yeah, that was an all-time great series finale. The HBO show six feet under had a similar idea by providing closure to all characters with a closing montage of all their lives in the future. I kind of like that.

It was a great show. I think the best take is that it was pretty much a live action Simpsons. There was an article in the Wapo this morning: Why we’ll never see another show like ‘Parks and Recreation’ again.

19. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of the best series finales I've seen. I think Ron got the best ending (and the best reveal gag as the best man at Typhoon and Craig's wedding) that fit his character. Then again, everybody has their favorite Parks and Rec character, so I imagine if you're partial to Donna, you'd love her. My favorite joke was the ageless Christie Brinkley standing by Gary until he died at the age of 103.

I also enjoyed the Secret Service speculation. Nothing like a little debate to keep the show's dialogue going for a while.

20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member