1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Marvel's Agents of SHIELD

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, May 12, 2013.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I liked it. There wasn't as much action as I anticipated but the character development and chemistry in this one episode was great. If I compare this to the Blacklist (and they are comparable) I think this is much better. The Blacklist was throwing out action set pieces but we really didn't care if anyone was in danger. I have faith in JW and will continue to watch. Really disappointed that the "super hero" wasn't an actual super hero. the speculation that he might be Luke Cage before the premier, and then finding out he isn't, is going to disappoint a lot a people I suspect.

I guess the things lacking for me were a true villain and I didn't really get a sense of the stakes. Right now it seems they are in gotta-catch-em-all mode and that is too episodic for me. I hate creature-of-the-week shows.

2. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Want to know if Coulson is a android so Ill keep watching.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Not sure if Coulson is a stiff actor or not.

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I liked it. Whedon did a great job with the dialogue. I thought the fight choreography was done well too. I was skeptical initially, but I'll definitely keep watching. Not the most amazing show I've ever seen, but it was cool. All of the subtle Marvel references were awesome.

5. AXG

AXG Member

Chloe Bennett, my gosh.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Exactly. you have to build up to something. I like that he took the time to flesh out the characters a little first. Like with all of his shows Firefly, Angel, Buffy, even Dollhouse, he makes you care for the characters before he starts killing them off. Always with the pilot episodes they want to grab you with flash but the substance of character development is lacking big time.

This has been a problem for JW, though. He wants to take you on a journey and people might not have time for that.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I would like to know why you thought Blacklist was better.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Can't speak on Buffy or Angel, but...

The (real) pilot for Firefly was great right from the beginning.

Dollhouse pilot was pretty mediocre though.

I'm not giving up on it yet, but I just wasn't impressed and was barely interested in this one.

9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Pretty much the only reason I'm going to keep watching is for Coulson. I wonder what it is they don't want him to know.

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Maybe Coulson really did die, and he's just a LMD or something (a self aware one obviously).

11. mrm32

mrm32 Member

That's what I was thinking but hopefully it's not something that simple. Breaking Bad has spoiled me. :(

12. Mr. Clutch

Its a reset of the character

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

He mentioned that the Avengers didn't have clearance level 7. Maybe this is to make sure that they don't find out he's alive (but not really?)? That would screw with their heads, and probably make them dislike Fury even more. Eh, who knows what they're going to come up with?

14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

no its not. they reference his 'death' in the pilot. Same character.

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Has nothing to do with no superheroes.

The characters were boring and steotypical. Plot was bland and generic. Just looks like a typical network show, nothing special or worth watching with so much great stuff on tv

16. Mr. Clutch

Of course it will look that way.

Limited budget.

17. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Idk, it looks kind of feminized for an action drama. A lot of chicks talking and fighting. No real tough guy characters, just pretty boys in suits. Seems geared towards women, just like the other shows on ABC like "Once Upon a Time" or "Scandal", it's watchable for guys, but it's not something I'd invest much time into.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Blacklist was much more dramatic. Not even close. It also has a premise that is a little off the beaten path. The SHEILD pilot was too bland. None of the characters were interesting and nothing made me go "Whoa!". I'm a Marvel comic buff who will give SHEILD every chance. But if it's just freak-of-the-week fluff that trades on the Avengers/Whedon association, forget it.

I'll give you one thing: It may turn out the Blacklist pilot fired a season's worth of bullets and goes downhill while SHEILD grows with time. Like movie trailers, great pilots aren't necessarily predictors or success. Let's see. I'm open minded.

19. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

The one thing that had me wondering is one of the agents saying that Thor technically wasn't a god. How is he not technically a god? Guy is the God of Thunder which I assume he shares the title with Gene Simmons.

20. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Quite the hottie. Episode was decent, will give it another shot.