1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TV - Longmire

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, Aug 27, 2013.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Didn't find a thread.

This is a top notch show. Second season just ended. Second season finale was fantastic. Second season definitely better than the first.

It's extremely well acted. Also has Lou Diamond Phillips and Starbuck from BSG. Rest of the fast is great.

It's a "slower" pace but each episode is interesting, good overarching stories, and solid cinematography.

If you enjoy well thought out police shows, enjoy a more western kind of feel, more of a BBC type pace, you'll love this show.

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. TheresTheDagger

Seconded. Great show. The books are even better.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

thx for the headsup

So, it's a "police show" with a "western kind of feel"

That's like saying Firefly is a "sci fi show" with a "western kind of feel" :)

Can you elaborate? Like are each episodes self contained (a new story with an ending) like most police shows and CSI...or does the plot carry over like Shield and Luther?

4. TheresTheDagger

Each episode is self contained, but there are ongoing elements that reach throughout the season. One example: In season one, one of his deputies decides to run against Longmire for Sheriff.

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I love this show. been watching it faithfully for 2 years and definitely one of the better shows on TV...

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

western means it takes place in Wyoming near Indian territory. The overall story line moves very very slow. Almost nothing has happened over 2 seasons.

7. JayZ750

I guess what I meant is that since most "police shows" are urban in nature, and this is set in rural Wyoming, it is more rural/Western in feel. And the pacing, cinematography, dialogue, and characters all feel much more out of a classic western than a classic urban police drama.

it's definitely slower than Breaking Bad, but I don't think it's slow in a non-entertaining way. Just a different pace for a different show. Sometimes slower is better. But I will say the season 2 finale speeds things up a lot on a number of fronts, which is nice.

but it's not slow or boring.

each episode is self-contained but there are various overarching plots. fairly typical in that regard. and some of the episodes and overarching stories are more/less believable or entertaining than others.

It's not Breaking Bad good, or even Luther good, but just a step below. I really liked The Killing season 3 and would put it on par with that.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Just watched the pilot yesterday on Netflix and really enjoyed it. The main character is a cross between Brett Favre and an older Will Ferrell.

9. JayZ750

Well, this is back. Still really great story-telling and production value imo. I think they've done 3 episodes this season already... I've seen the first two. Very enjoyable.

Wonder if it will survive. I guess there's nothing "viral" about it. Just good ole fashion story-telling shot and acted really well.

I still highly recommend it if you don't want to be overburdened with remembering everything like a Game of Thrones or a crazy story line like a Lost.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Started watching this show -- it's good, but there sure are a lot of mysterious murders in that tiny town.

And the DNA from cremation dust in his boot -- come on.

11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I started watching this about 2 weeks ago. I always saw the ads at the movies, which I dunno why it was so advertised there.

But, having Lou Diamond Phillips and Katee Sackhoff, I was always intrigued and finally gave it a shot. It's a good crime procedural, and like others said, well acted. Good leads and supporting cast.

There's not much overall plot advancement, but I'm only halfway through season 2. You get like a 10 second scene every episode that pieces it a little bit together. Not enough to make me feel like I need to watch another, but enough to be interesting with the show being entertaining enough.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Well put. Longmire is one of the few shows I almost always watch on DVR the same evening it's broadcast.

13. body slam

body slam Member

I think its a great show, but like all tv shows its not for everyone

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

That's what makes me laugh. This tiny town in Wyoming with mob hits, the Mexican cartels, and all kinds of murders. LOL

15. rudan

rudan Member

I like the one where he hung himself by his nipples.......

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

My mom (and I imagine lots of others like her) likes this show for that reason, she doesn't need to invest alot of time remembering the story, just simple short procedurals. She turns it on when she's doing work around the house or grading papers.

I think this show does very well with Netflix streaming numbers.

17. body slam

body slam Member

I'm a steamer and just caught up on the current episode on the A&E channel and it ended kind of funny.

On the 7/21/14 episode the Harvest was there a scene after the ending credits with Henry and reservation police chief Mathias?

18. body slam

body slam Member

Returning to Netflix Nov 17 for 6th and final season. Seasons 1, 2,and 3 were good. Netflix took over season 4 and it became a whole new animal.

don grahamleone likes this.
  19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Longmire is back!

20. Buck Turgidson

Reminds me of Sons of Anarchy, the Justice Department would pretty much be running that county after about season 2.

I like it though. And Katee Sackhoff looks really good in blue jeans.