1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Better Call Saul

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I suspect Mike has been a Detective for a while
    Chances are he was on the job as an Attendant
    Spying on someone

Rocket River

2. body slam

body slam Member

has it started already

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

February 8.

4. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/7-things-you-need-to-know-about-better-call-saul-1201399850/

AMC’s prequel to “Breaking Bad,” “Better Call Saul” premieres on Feb. 8. Here are a few behind-the-scenes tidbits Variety learned from the producers and cast:

“Better Call Saul” was supposed to be a comedy.

Showrunner Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould’s original concept for the show was a half-hour comedy. “It would have been, you never leave the guy’s office, and he’s kind of a crazy, colorful lawyer,” recalls Gilligan. “And even crazy more colorful characters come into his office, so that he is ultimately the straight man, and he solves their problem. And there’s a fun show to be made that way.” They ultimately dropped that idea, though, in favor of an hour-long drama.

It’s color-coded just like “Breaking Bad.”

As with “Breaking Bad,” the creators of “Saul” paid careful attention to color. Remember Marie’s attachment to purple? “We really thought about what the world looks like to Jimmy,” says Gould. “There’s a certain allure to criminals and the excitement of people who aren’t playing by the rules, so wouldn’t it be cool to use hot colors to set those people apart?” So the perps will be wearing red, while the lawyers will be in blues and greens. Where does that leave our erstwhile hero? Jimmy is in brown — “colorwise, he’s already bridging those worlds a little bit,” explains Gould.

Jimmy’s car had a stunt double.

Jimmy spends a good deal of time driving around Albuquerque in his car, so the production needed a way to film him in action. The transportation team created a “Franken-steem”: An Esteem with a Ford Astro van attached on the back. “What’s more fun than me being given a ****ty car and being told to please drive it as fast as you can?” says Odenkirk.

Michael McKean was cast by Bryan Cranston.

McKean first met Vince Gilligan on “The X Files,” when the producer created a character for him. But he landed the role of Jimmy’s older brother, Chuck, thanks to Cranston, his co-star in the Tony-winning Broadway play “All the Way.” The “Breaking Bad” star was the one who told him about the spin-off, and recommended him for the role. With Cranston as the matchmaker, it was fated. “I’ve played very intelligent people who are kind of horrible, and I’ve played benign dumbbells,” says McKean. “This is a guy who’s being crushed by the world but who’s also a good man. That’s a very important trigger for the show.”

It was shot mostly on location.

Unlike “Breaking Bad,” which used soundstages — Walter White’s home, for example — the “Saul” production had to be more nimble, spending 7 out of 8 shoot days per episode on location. (Both shows lensed in Albuquerque’s ABQ Studios.) “Jimmy has this natural energy to him that makes him a bit of a wanderer,” says executive producer Melissa Bernstein. “He is not a home-bound or office-bound person. He is truly trying to find himself and find his destiny. And that puts all of us on our feet.” So the production had to scout new locations in and around Albuquerque that they hadn’t already used in “Breaking Bad.”

The Kettlemans were originally only supposed to be in one episode.

In the series premiere, Jimmy runs into Craig and Betsy Kettleman (Jeremy Shamos and Julie Ann Emery), who have been described by Gould as the “world’s squarest outlaws.” Their on-set chemistry was so strong that they wound up in four or five episodes. Shamos and Emery spent a weekend rehearsing their improv so they could finish each other’s sentences. “Some of those improvs are so funny, we’re hoping to do a DVD extra,” says Gould.

You need to pay attention.

“There are things hidden throughout the season that we’re thinking about following up,” says Gilligan. “Hopefully, when the show is over, however many seasons it goes, it will tell one story that will all link up together.”

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

6. oelman44

oelman44 Member

^ I could honestly see that. Breaking Bad is one of the best show's I ever watched, but re-watching it is doesn't seem as good as I thought. A lot of filler and momentum-less episodes. I'm not trying to get my hopes too high, but there's no reason Better Call Saul can't be close in regards to Breaking Bad's legacy.

7. dandorotik

I just read the original pilot script for Breaking Bad. OK, interesting stuff:

1. It takes place in Ontario, California

2. Jesse Pinkman was not his name. The original name for this character was...
    Marion Dupree. Yep.

3. Bogdan was named Amir.

4. They cook in a cow pasture as opposed to the N.M. desert

5. Walt has a hot teacher friend named Margaret that he's constantly eyeing and that he jacks off to one morning.

Other than that, it's pretty much the same. But you see how a few changes can make a huge difference. Dupree??? Um, OK.

8. dandorotik

Yes, I don't think you can create a show at the same level as Breaking Bad. But, occasionally, you can come up with a spinoff that's good (Frasier- not only that, but think of sequels like The Godfather Part II- if it approaches the story from a different angle, it can work).

9. dandorotik

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YPR9ORpwBEU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

This Sunday!

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i want be interested in this show. primarily because of my love for breaking bad. but it is tough for whatever reason.

just off hand my favorite shows of all time

seinfeld
    martin
    lost
    breaking bad
    the wire

12. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the dramatic New Mexico landscape added so much to the show.

13. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Nice Ice Station Zebra mention in there. Looks really cheesy, in a good way.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

what's funny is they changed to NM for tax reasons

15. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

You got a problem with Dupree, pardner?

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Saturday: Black Sails
    Sunday: Walking Dead and Better Call Saul.

Nice!

17. mrm32

mrm32 Member

IGN gave the first episode an 8.5. My expectations are set.

18. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

See, I felt each re-watch strengthened the justification of calling BB one of the greatest shows ever. I found connections in episode one that ties all the way to the series finale and everything between. They masterfully embedded hints, foreshadowing amongst other prime details that make each viewing refreshing.

The major example is infamous Fly episode. I found it much better one second watch.

Different strokes, different folks.

Another fun tidbit: Marion Dupree was suppose to be a black character.

19. The Boz

The Boz Member

Starts tonight. Looking forward to watching. Anyone else?

20. dandorotik

Not for why you think. Sounds too much like you me and Dupree

Then again, you can get used to anything. My favorite band is The Who,- pretty dumb name if you think about it