1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Better Call Saul

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Agreed that the season finale was underwhelming. For Marco to die at that very moment was just dumb. I have no idea what the ratings for this show is.. but I think it could be much improved if they did the following in season 2:

1.) Less HHM / Chuck / Howard / Kim. I dunno if these people are regulars on the show, but to me, their stories are boring, especially Chuck's.

2.) More focus on the criminal underworld, which seems like it will happen.

3.) More focus on Mike - way more focus on Mike. I actually think the show would be a lot better if he was the main character instead of Slippin' Jimmy.

4.) Bring in Gus Fringe and his back story. That would be incredible. Maybe season 3?

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

People forget this season was mainly to introduce and set up things for the future, the pace was slow for a reason.
    Also, season finale doesn't mean everything has to blow up and people go nuts, this first season was never intended to keep you on the edge of your seat. Suddenly going 100% on action and drama wouldn't have made any sense for the final episode. They have to end the season at some point, doesn't mean that episode has to be a thriller.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed. Hell, Game of Thrones does not have great season finales. Its usually the episode prior that provides the "woah" factor.

I think most TV viewers have been conditioned by the "epic" hyped-up "season finales" that network TV has employed over the years (which is strictly designed to draw in viewers... for ratings and ad revenue)... and slowly the cable/premium and online sources that don't necessarily rely on "ratings" and advertising as much have tried to "un-do" a lot of that as its largely unnecessary.

4. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Season finale is not always fast paced fireworks, chill out people. I understand we want something to look forward to but remember that we all did not expect the show to even be decent when we heard it was an idea...

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Exactly. I notice some viewers tend to want to write the shows themselves instead of letting everything play out.

[​IMG]

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Wow, thanks for that image. Starting to believe they knew what a gem they created with the Saul character and always had the spin-off in mind. So many lines/anecdotes in BB that he said and that make a great story now (Costner story, the Ignacio thing last week, etc). Doesn't feel like a coincidence.

7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

hate to burst your bubble, but the Costner stuff was throw away from this episode. It had nothing to do with any part of the story. They just added it in as a shout out to an old BB scene. Not hard to do.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I wasn't just talking about the Costner thing.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . . .Does Mike meet Gus and intro Jimmy
    or
    Does Jimmy hook up Gus and Mike

Jimmy does not seem like a Gus type of guy
    But the way Gus slips around the law seems like a Jimmy Idea

In fact interaction between Jimmy and Gus seems like it would very interesting
    and odd . . . .need Mike as a filter.

I am thrilled with the prospect of it all

Rocket River

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Jimmy never meets Gus. Not even as Saul i think. In BB I believe he calls him a 'friend of a friend'. To get in contact with Gus, he has to go through Mike.

11. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Eh, I enjoy the lawyer-y stuff on the show. It's supposed to be different from Breaking Bad. I don't need the action stuff.

12. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Who also caught the Belize skit during bingo

13. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I've agreed w/you and most others for much of the season as to the pace of the show but listen man it was def way too slow with too much unnecessary filler for the entire season. I was cool with it for the most part for about 75% of the season but even BB wasn't that slow-paced in the 1st season and BB did give us the backstory on some characters (Jesse for instance) but BCS should be able to do that without taking ages to set up a good storyline.

I'd still give this season a B+, no less.

Also, I think I may have mentioned it before but I think Mike was the MVP of this 1st season. The "I broke my boy" episode was the best of the season imo.

14. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

#534 fallenphoenix, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  15. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Sorry, forget link, I think its from Variety- good sign, anyway- I think they know now that, although these ratings are great, they probably need to ratchet up the action in order to maintain these numbers.

AMC’s “Better Call Saul” wrapped a strong first season with ratings gains on Monday as it continues to stand as the year’s top new cable series.

AMC doesn’t tout the ratings performances of its shows until after three days of DVR playback are included, but in same-night numbers, “Better Call Saul” averaged a 1.19 rating/4 share in adults 18-49 and 2.53 million viewers overall — about 1 million total viewers more than “Breaking Bad” drew with its first-season finale in March 2008,

Despite facing the college basketball championship game, “Saul” was up 5% in the demo and 10% in total viewers week-to-week. In the most recent Live+3 ratings available, “Better Call Saul” more than doubled its 18-49 rating and nearly doubled its total-viewer count.

AMC launched “Saul” behind the midseason premiere of “The Walking Dead,” and that paid off with monster numbers as it became cable’s biggest premiere ever in adults 18-49 (3.5 rating).

16. gah

gah Member

Was I the only one who found the chicago sunroof bit to be hilarious. It's worth a mention.

17. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

No, I thought it was great. But I can see where some felt the final was underwhelming. Episode 9 was The Godfather Part II, and Episode 10 was The Godfather Part III. Underrated by many, but still not as good as II. (Mike's Five-O episode was GF I).

18. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

This. Breaking Bad started off slow, mainly because Vince Gilligan pays such attention to detail. I think this season has been amazing, easily the best show on TV, Netflix or Amazon.

19. likestohypeguy

Just caught up, yeah dragging so much out of that scene & the super long scam montage was pretty weak.

Even without those who can get super excited just from recognizing BB references, I think it has a successful future. I'll keep watching just because I like the scenery & characters- holding out for more mike & saul interaction especially. So far not much to it though.

20. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Brilliant analogy, I completely agree w/that.