1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Better Call Saul

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Sep 11, 2013.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. Could be he uses his chunk of the nursing home case to start his own office as Saul Goodman.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

damn , great episode!

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wow, this actually got me to go back and watch that episode... which was an awesome episode to watch as it was titled "better call saul", and its the perfect BB episode to watch prior to getting into this series.

Definitely highly recommended, especially as it's one of the few Saul-centric BB episodes and definitely shows his character fully developed at the start of his dealings with Walter (which actually leads to the downfall of his character).

So its safe to say that whatever happens to Jimmy from here on out in BCS has him go a certain direction up till he encounters Walt/Jessie in that episode.... good stuff.

4. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

which season/episode number did it air? i'm in need of a refresher.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Season 2, episode 8.

1 person likes this.
  6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I've been avoiding this thread on purpose. Just finished binge watching all 8 episodes prior to last nights. I hate waiting so I may have to wait for the season finale to finish up the final, what, 2 episodes?

This show is amazing, I love the acting and now that we got the back story to Mike I feel bad for how Walt eventually ended him and everything he worked for. It was basically all for the little girl.... poor Kaylee. :(

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Chuck has a little Walter White in him . . . Hubris

It was not surprising but it definitely exposed him
    Jimmy's frustration, anger and completely DONE-ness with his brother showed
    [Well Acted]
    I think him seeing his brother loves the law more than him makes his decide to say ***** the law and take a big dump on it.

I think Mike's part connects Saul and Gus

Rocket River

8. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I think it goes deeper than that ,probably back to when they were kids . During the confrontation Chuck says something about Jimmy being " funny and can make people laugh " , while Chuck has the personality of a wet paper towel , so he probably had issues going back to childhood .. Jimmy got the attention and Chuck has resentment issues over it

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

That wannabe drug dealer LOL.

Great scene. Mike is a beast.....I love how they are doing a Mike version of the story with Saul (Jimmy). Makes the show more interesting.

10. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/better-call-saul-nacho-returns-785375

This is a rare episode where we don't start with a flashback. How did that come about?

There is a whole six-minute teaser that exists that is not shown in this episode. The episode was so over length that instead of death by 1,000 cuts of trying to trim here and there, we decided to lift the entire teaser and make the first scene of Act I the teaser. There's a teaser that shows a very young Jimmy McGill back in the day. He's like nine years old. These actors did such a great job. I'm crossing my fingers that we get to use this teaser for an episode next season and not just make it a DVD extra, which I would feel terrible about.

11. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

My thoughts on this weeks episode

1. I hate what Gilligan and Gould have been doing where they have two characters speak privately and then cut from the scene or play sounds over the conversation(Hamlin and Kim in this episode, Hamlin and Saul/Jimmy last week I believe). We then have to figure out what was said and in some cases guess what was said. Blah.

2. Hot take- I kinda think Mike's character has been MVP of this first season of BCS. His character and the development of it as well as the backstory has just been awesome to watch.

3. When Chuck told Jimmy "You're not a real lawyer", I was like

[​IMG]

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Man the last 3 episodes have been top notch.

13. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

1. They do that intentionally, they'll revisit it at a later time in the arc at some point... just when you least expect it. Their continuity through seasons is second to none.

2. Mike's story is so intriguing to begin with, and it is acted so damn well. Coming from the BB world and what we know, seeing his humble beginnings (like Jimmys) is quite intriguing.

For me, it just amazes me how Gilligan can make you truly empathize for an anti-hero. Mike and Jimmy aren't exactly guys you should be rooting for, and you are... so much so that it pains you when something bad happens to them. That is when you know it is good writing.

As an example, I watched Bloodline on Netflix recently - and while it was a decent show I didn't feel for or care what happened to any of the characters. If Gilligan or someone of his caliber would have written the same story, it would have been an an amazing show rather than a solid one.

14. dandorotik

Agreed on the anti-hero theme. Great filmmakers have been doing this for years. Charles Foster Kane, Vito Corleone, Travis Bickle, Ethan Edwards, Omar Little, etc. Many of the greatest films and shows have us rooting for characters that, in real life, we would probably abhor and do anything to avoid.

Heck, Stanley Kubrick made me feel sympathy for the disabling of a computer.

15. Svpernaut

My main concern when I heard of the Breaking Bad spin-off was that they wouldn't be able to repeat the magic they made with Walter White... and boy was I wrong, because this time it is twice as awesome.

The only other shows in recent years I felt the same way about characters was Nucky Thompson in Boardwalk Empire and Tyrion Lannister and somewhat Jaime Lannister in Game of Thrones... heck, I forgot about The Hound. George RR Martin is too good.

You were spot on about Omar Little of course.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

They don't have to revisit it. We already know.

In the copy room, Hamlin was telling Jimmy that HHM wouldn't be hiring him. Do we need to revisit that?

And in this last episode, it's obvious that Hamlin told Kim that it was Chuck didn't want Jimmy joining HHM as an associate. They just wanted to save the reveal for the end, it being more powerful coming from a scene between Jimmy and Chuck (even if a lot of us had already figured it out).

So there's no need to go back to those conversations. We already know what was said.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Precisely.

They purposely kept everything that was said shielded so the final reveal would be from Chuck himself.

18. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Don't forget David Chase. He kind of brought it back to the TV world with the Tony Soprano character.

19. Svpernaut

Yup, that show kicked off the golden age of television.

20. dandorotik

Which started when he was a writer on the Rockford Files with a character he created named Anthony Boy, a mobster who was going after James Rockford. Anthony Boy was considered the template for Tony Soprano- a gangster who had a soft / morose side. He wanted to do a pilot for The Sopranos at the time, but networks weren't ready for that in 1980. After Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere, though, they were more willing to put more reality-based shows on the air.

He was played by George Loros, who I think was also on The Sopranos (albeit much older). Him as Anthony Boy:

[​IMG]

on the sopranos (top row 2nd from the left):

[​IMG]

Heck, if you think about it (and b/c the writers of BCS mentioned The Rockford Files as an influence), anyone who has watched The Rockford Files would say that if you put James Rockford and Angel Martin in a blender, the result would be Saul Goodman.

Seriously, watch this clip- that's as Saul as you can get:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PNjv35DfSo4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#480 dandorotik, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    1 person likes this.