1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Better Call Saul

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Sep 11, 2013.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, yeah great scene! Man just sucks, whenever Saul gets ahead gets kicked back down by Hamlin, kinda like the cake scene that was mentioned, going to be very similar.

2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Exactly! I'm excited for him to join in eventually, I mean it'll be so awesome to see more of that character, especially from a different perspective. Gus was such a bad ass in BrBa it'll be interesting to see his early interactions with Mike (at least that's what I'm hoping for).

3. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

They may have gotten the idea for Chuck from this (a lot of Santa Fe stories are in Albuquerque news- this one has been in the ABQ news off and on for the last couple of years):

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/24/science/when-science-is-lost-in-a-legal-maze.html?_r=1

In a saner world, where science and the law meshed more precisely, a case like Firstenberg v. Monribot would have been dead on arrival in court. But that is not what happened.

Earlier this month, five years after the lawsuit was filed, the New Mexico Court of Appeals upheld a lower court’s ruling that Arthur Firstenberg, an outspoken opponent of wireless technology, could not seek $1.43 million in damages from his neighbor, Raphaela Monribot, for damaging his health by using her iPhone and a Wi-Fi connection.

The electromagnetic signals that go from cellphone to cellphone and computer to computer lie quietly on the spectrum between radio broadcast waves and the colors of light. From the perspective of science, the likelihood of the rays somehow causing harm is about as strong as the evidence for ESP. But the law proceeds by its own logic, in which concepts like evidence and proof take on meanings of their own. This case in New Mexico shows how two of civilization’s great bodies of thought — the scientific and the legal — can make for an uneasy mix.

Mr. Firstenberg and Ms. Monribot, the record shows, were once on good terms. He had hired her in 2008 to cook for him, and after she left for Europe, he rented and then purchased her small house in a densely populated old neighborhood in Santa Fe, N.M. When she returned to town, she moved into a house adjacent to the one he owned.

It was there, Mr. Firstenberg would claim, that she became the cause of his suffering. Dizziness, nausea, amnesia, insomnia, tremors, heart arrhythmia, acute and chronic pain — all because she insisted on using her cellphone, computers and other ordinary electronic equipment.

Her dimmer switches and compact fluorescent bulbs emitted their own painful rays. The fact that the two houses shared the same electric utility connection, Mr. Firstenberg argued, intensified the effect.

A self-described sufferer of a medically unrecognized condition called electromagnetic hypersensitivity, he was already known in Santa Fe for his unsuccessful effort to block the installation of Wi-Fi in the city library and other public places.

4. dandorotik

Yep. Chuck will take the "deal" back to HHM, and they'll offer Jimmy a "finder's fee." Feels very similar to this: (ironically, Bob Odenkirk was in the TV show version of this):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/su8LDtmRmw8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Oh man, great reference to Fargo!! Loved the movie, but haven't had a chance to check out the show. Was the show pretty decent? Haha might have to watch that one with this show rapping the season up.

6. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Never noticed you much outside of owning ATSewer, but you seem like a hilarious bro, bro hehe.

Great episode, the only prob i am having with this show is that while Jimmy is making progress, you already know he wont get far because of the path he ultimately goes on. Not saying the journey isnt great but in all honesty they could have come up with atleast a few better ways of printing those documents...

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Fargo TV show was excellent, very much in the same vein of the movie. Excellent watch, especially since it's a self contained season.

1 person likes this.
  8. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Yes. We have a second season of Fargo to fill in the gaps btw this and the next season...

1 person likes this.
  9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Thanks a lot and rep for all the guys that recommended the Fargo TV series.
    Just started watching it because of the talk in this thread, it's great thus far!

10. dandorotik

The longer you're a Rockets fan, the more you develop a sense of humor.

[​IMG]

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It was.
    I think the lady dectective (and the BB Thornton guy) stole the show.

Bilbo Baggins was ok but Bob Odenkirk as the idiot boss at the police station was only slightly above average

I liked him more as Saul Goodman aka James McGill to be honest with y'all

12. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Just watched this week's episode... and holy crap this is the best show on TV.

13. dandorotik

I tried to imagine a scenario in which every BB character introduced in BCS so far would keep my interest beyond the fact that they were in BB. Like if BB never existed. First, Jimmy/Saul. The first scene in E1 probably wouldn't really do much for me- again, I don't know who Saul is at this point- but the minute I see a slick lawyer trying to defend kids who had sex with a human head, whose office is in the back of a nail salon, and who tries to scam people out of money in the very first episode, that would certainly capture my interest.

Now, probably the biggest "OH S**T!" moment was when Tuco appears at the end of E1. Would I have that same reaction if I didn't know who that was? No = but, the fact that an old lady goes into the house, and out comes a guy pointing a gun at Jimmy - well, that certainly would- along with an apron-wearing individual living with his grandmother who beats the crap out of 2 guys with a walker.

In terms of Mike, that character would be interesting even if BB never existed. Not just for 5-0, but for his lack of taking crap from Jimmy. I wouldn't know he was going to turn into The Wolf, but it would seem that that guy is hiding something, for sure. Mike gives off that air, that this isn't all he's done. But the back story clinched it. It's not that this type of scene hasn't been done before- it has. But it's not done the way you'd expect- it's much more of a slow build-up to gunfire in an alley. It's a bit of a Once Upon a Time in the West version of that cliche, which makes the difference.

So, I do not think one has to have any knowledge at all about BB in order to watch or enjoy this. I don't find myself thinking ahead to whether Gus, or Hank, or something like that will show up. I really, really want to know at this point what happens with this case, and what happens with Mike's new venture.

And that is the mark of a so-far terrific show.

14. conquistador#11

started watching last night, got 4 episodes in a row. ha, it never occurred to me...it's all good man =saul goodman.

15. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

That was too perfect eh? ;)

16. dandorotik

Two episodes to go- then it's Rockets playoff time (thank God):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#436 dandorotik, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  17. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I wonder if there will come a time in this show where we look at Saul as just a really bad person, like many viewed Walt.

Right now I can't see it happening, Saul is more likable than Walt ever was but it would interesting to see.

18. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

This is a good point. Walt may not have been as likable as Sault, but one felt empathy for Walt early on in the series. However the empathy slowly evaporated as Walt lost sight of who he was and became corrupted by his own greed. It's the path of all Shakespearean heroes, as their ultimate downfall is their inescapable flaw. In Walt's case it was greed, but what will Saul's be?

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hard to say because as a corrupt lawyer he always played second fiddle to his crook clients.

Yes he earned his money but that money was always 'dirty' but he kept his humor.

20. dandorotik

Now they used Crazy 8 and one of the cousins from BB in the commercials for BCS- too funny.