1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Better Call Saul

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Sep 11, 2013.

1. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I hope they go into more of Gus Fring's backstory.

2. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Robert Smigel (Triumph the Insult Comic Dog/SNL's TV Funhouse)
    Conan O'Brien (SNL/Simpsons writer, Host of Late Night, <strike>The Tonight Show</strike>, Conan)
    Bob Odenkirk (Mr Show, Breaking Bad)

3 of my favorite actor/writer/comedians

All were SNL writers during the Hartman, Sandler, Rock, Myers, Carvey, Farley era of SNL.

1 person likes this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

but it's a prequel, so not a spoiler.

4. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

I meant what I had posted (look further down at juicystream's quote)

5. da_juice

da_juice Member

Even more awkward was seeing him in Spectacular Now. I'm like, why is Saul Goodman making suits?

6. Convictedstupid

My favorite Mr. Show sketch, and probably sketch of any show ever:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UfUv5t71_Xo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

8. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

*Bart Scott vlice*

CAN'T WAIT.

10. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

11. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

https://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/...saul-s-law-office-phone-number-185652532.html

New Billboards in Albuquerque to promote the show...

[​IMG]

Also, the phone number is a real # you can call to hear this "Irish lawyers" voicemail message. Apparently, Saul originally tried to use his real name and play up his Irish heritage before he changed it to sound Jewish.

Here's the article:

A new billboard touting the legal services of "James M. McGill" — the pre-Saul moniker of Bob Odenkirk's Breaking Bad attorney character, who we'll get to know much better in AMC's upcoming Better Call Saul prequel series — popped up in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The billboard includes a phone number for McGill/Saul's JMM legal office, and fans who dial the number will hear this message from McGill (i.e., Odenkirk, using a strange, pseudo-Irish accent):

"Hello! You've reached the law office of James M. McGill, esquire, a lawyer you can trust. Kindly leave your information at the tone, and Mr. McGill will phone you promptly."

Breaking Bad fans will recall Saul once told Walt he is Irish, but changed his name to make potential clients think he's Jewish. "My real name's McGill," he revealed in Season 2's "Better Call Saul" episode. "The Jew thing, I just do for the homeboys. They all want a pipe-hitting member of the tribe, so to speak."

The billboard is just the latest Better Call Saul news to get fans excited for the prequel, which will debut on AMC in 2015. Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan and BB writer Peter Gould — who created the Saul character on Bad, and who, along with Gilligan, will produce the spinoff — shared some details about the new series earlier this month during the Television Critics Association summer press tour.

The photo on the billboard — which is located along the southbound I-25 in Albuquerque — shows a younger-looking, fuller-follicled (doesn’t that hairpiece make him look like Alec Baldwin doing his Tony Bennett impersonation on Saturday Night Live?) Odenkirk as James McGill. Makes sense, since, as Gilligan said at the TCA session that Saul will be set in 2002. Well, somewhat in 2002. "I think the best way to answer this and not get yelled at is, you saw from Breaking Bad that we like non-linear storytelling and jumping around in time," Gilligan said. "I would point you in the that direction, that anything that's possible in Breaking Bad is possible in Better Call Saul."

Among other tidbits from the TCA session: Jonathan Banks will reprise his role as fixer Mike Ehrmantraut; Laverne & Shirley star Michael McKean will play Chuck, Saul/McGill's brother; Gould and Gilligan said it's possible Gustavo Fring (Giancarlo Esposito) and Walter White (Bryan Cranston) could make appearances on the spinoff; and the great Emmy-winning producer/director Michelle MacLaren — who has directed episodes of Bad, Game of Thrones, and The Walking Dead, among others — will direct the second episode of Saul (Gilligan is directing the premiere).

All of which makes 2015 seem frustratingly far away, so in the meantime, do as Saul Goodman's license plate suggests and LWYRUP: Call that James M. McGill number.

12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

first teaser for show. Probably not worthy of a post

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ADGIqPeX9zI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I love Bob Odenkirk but if this show is anything like the web clips he made during the airing of Breaking Bad it will not be funny.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Saul Goodman is no Bobloblaw.

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mGsC_LO3oFY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ds4FZmVG908" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/l1xIGfVFb-U?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

At the worst, you'll at least have some very good writing and acting- and cinematography (can't go wrong with New Mexico). I mean, Vince wrote many of the best-written episodes of The X Files, he wrote numerous great scripts for B.B., so it would just seem like they will be at least good if not great.

At the best, it could be at the same level as B.B.- OK, you can't replace Odenkirk with Cranston- what I mean is that it could be a classic along the lines of B.B.

18. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Agreed, they just need to be careful not to force the breaking bad cameos too much. Mike as a parking lot attendant doesn't seem natural, but I know he will be a series regular so I'm sure they will make sense of it.

I would of loved to see them do a spin off centered around Mike, starting with the events he described in the "Half measures" speech. But to do that you'd have to cast a younger Mike and that would probably make the character lose what made him great in the first place.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

That would also be too far removed from the BB timeline. Obviously having a relatively high degree of tie-in is a necessary part of the show.

20. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

One thing I know for sure I'm not going to do is be quick to judgment. The first time I saw The Office, I thought it sucked. The first time I saw Breaking Bad, thought it was OK. Even within great shows, you'd see an episode like The Fly and say, "Uh oh, B.B.'s going downhill a bit." The great stuff isn't always great on first viewing. So, I vow to not judge the entire season on the first show.