1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] AMC's Fear The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

So, are the military guys basically killing anything outside the fences? They even appeared to kill the light signaler at the house outside the zone. If they are killing anything or anyone, then didn't they bring in survivors earlier in the show? :confused:

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well maybe they brought in people they considered "safe" and left anyone questionable outside with a bullet in their head. If you look at the people they've taken out of the "safe zone" they have been anyone seriously injured that might die and turn, anyone with a mental condition that could be dangerous to themselves or others, and the junkie who could OD and turn.

Also, it's not like you can bring EVERYONE into a safe area because you can only feed and house so many.

I don't think it's a given quite yet that what the National Guard are doing is a bad thing.

3. Apps

Apps Member

I think the National Guard is actually doing quite well. Setting up 12 safe zones, doing neighborhood searches and clearing houses, getting a list of people to make sure the zone isn't being infiltrated by undocumented persons, erecting a protective fence, removing people who may be on the verge of death/may pose a threat to others as a result of mental health (the guy who had a breakdown), etc.

The reason why they're eventually going to **** it all up is because of their complete lack of transparency and communication. As far as the people they're protecting are concerned, the disease is something treatable and curable and has simply gotten out of hand. If the Guard simply explained that the disease is still an unknown, and that those with injuries or illnesses or with drug addictions could be susceptible to contracting it and need to be held under quarantine and medical observation for the safety of the patient and community, people might be more willing to comply. Instead they opt to remove people under the thinly veiled excuse of "medical treatment", which is obviously brought into question when you have to beat people into the back of the truck. Now even Travis, who was gung-ho pro-military, is likely going to become disenchanted with them after seeing them gun down a [likely] innocent person outside of the safe zone.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well they added a second likable character to the show, wonder how long he'll make it

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

kinda bummed that there is only one episode left.

im not sure from this point what they can really do before it just turns into the other show.

6. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

If we are talking about the same guy, I have a feeling he ends up being the first real bad guy.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm talking about the black guy that I don't think we've heard his name yet. I could see him being a bad guy, or I could see him being the kind of survivor that helps the group make it. I don't see the Salvadorian making it past this next episode alive and the group needs someone who isn't weak if they are going to make it. I think unnamed black guy could be that guy.

Maybe he'll be nothing more than this show's Merle/Shane.....that said, the original survivors of the parent show likely don't make it as long as they did without Merle and Shane.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

you can tell the writers don't know anyone in the military with their abandon everyone storyline

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, they ARE National Guard rather than regular Army.....

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

yeah because during the last zombie outbreak they did things wayyy different.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it would take longer than a few weeks for morale to get so bad the military starts to mutiny and disband, but IMO it would be inevitable for the vast majority of the military if things got THAT bad. Soldiers, Airmen, Sailors, and Marines are still just people after all. At some point a lot of them would crack.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

We don't really have a sense of the timeline, but if you think members of the army are just such honorable heroes that they'd never do anything as egregious as go home when the world is collapsing around them, then you are just ignorant of history.

It isn't like they are fighting a normal war and it isn't like these are normal soldiers. The leader was dead on when he pointed out that these were kids he was managing, not soldiers.

One thing that just doesn't make sense to me. Why do they freak out (doctor) when she sees that someone has been bitten when she already knows that anyone who dies turns? What makes the bite "worse?"

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

She freaked out because they've lost people to patients who turn and bite nurses in the past. When you know someone is about to turn, you probably freak out till you put a bolt through their head.

14. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Have yet to see this show, is it worth the time investment?

What do you guys/gals think?

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Why is everyone bending over backwards to protect the Druggie?

Rocket River

16. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

It's only 5 episodes currently, 6 episodes for the full season. I'd give it a try and see what you think. I find it to be pretty entertaining.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I officially hate every character on this show.

18. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

It's the National Guard not the Army. And no the Army wouldn't just go home, maybe a couple of deserters (When things got really bad) but overall people in the military are driven by honor, they wouldn't leave their brothers. The National Guard are reserve personnel they are not fully squared away like the Army, Navy, and Marines. They have civilian jobs still so yeah they would leave but the major armed forces would not.

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I think they missed an opportunity to tell a really good story on how things began. Instead we got a soap opera on some family that no one cares about.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So far we are dealing with TWO guys who are "deserting" to get home to their families.

Two.

I think the track record of military personnel in the United States acting without honor historically suggests that the show is perfectly reasonable in their portrayal, even if you were discussing regular army. The "real" army has deserters, has people commit murder, etc.