1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] AMC's Fear The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I also think the writers nailed people in Los Angeles.

2. conquistador#11

they're all infected but the survivors survived because they didn't get the zombie fever?
    it's been so long and they've stall so much that i forgot.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don't think we really know the answer. I assume it is different than the prison illness in TWD. But, it seems to be fact in this show that many people fell ill and died coming back. This leaves the question of why so many others were unaffected other than they are infected and will come back after they die some other way. I guess we're not supposed to dwell on details such as these. We won't get an answer.

4. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Well first, TWD has better acting and plots than any Zombie movie ever made. Secondly if they could run like that who would be able to survive with billions of running zombies in the world? No one, you would literally be running all day and night until you dropped of exhaustion. I know it's a zombie show but it needs to make sense for the story it's trying to tell. Not action for action's sake.

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You only get the fever when you are bit. But they are all infected. So basically it's a virus we all have that is dormant until ofcourse you die. Getting bit by someone already dead is lethal.

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I know these are mainly opinions, but TWD has terrible writing and terrible acting. It's possibly one of the worst zombie stories to see the screen, which is sad considering the comic is really good.

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Considering TWD is getting 15 to 20 million viewers a week, which I think makes them pretty much #1 for cable, those opinions would be in the minority. I'm actually surprised that actors like Melissa Mcbride haven't won an emmy by now.

8. Surfguy

Well...jog run then. ;)

Also, if you stuck to the movie logic, then most would die of starvation.

And, people survived in that movie so it's not out of the question. It's a different fight requiring different methods.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't know if that has ever been clarified exactly.

People obviously got sick without being bitten at some point. The exact details of how the virus/infection works are not fleshed out. (pun intended)

As to people who say it's horrible, worst acting ever, terrible writing, etc. it's just not even worth responding to those people anymore. The show does bang up ratings, has great word of mouth and social media appeal, etc.

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Have you seen anyone on the walking dead become a zombie without dying or being bit first? You can be infected without being sick or dying.

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

TWD is not a movie. Movies last about what an hour and a half, there would be billions of them no one would live past the first season, lol. It would be highly unlikely that the human race could survive against something that can run on two legs and never needs to sleep.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree. I don't think we've seen any with the fever who wasn't bitten

To me it's always made sense. The virus is dormant in everyone. Once dead, it becomes active and virulent, so is transmissabe in an active state that gives you a fever and kills you.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Although same old, I have enjoyed it so far. Will give it to end of season.

14. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You're right, that's why no one likes them, lol

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I love Walking Dead. Love it.

But 28 Days Later is, in my opinion, FAR AND AWAY the best zombie movie ever made. It transcended the genre and was the flashpoint that allowed for a show like Walking Dead to ever be green-lighted in the first place.

Also, I got to round 40 once on Kino Der Totten, so you can last a long time with running zombies! ;)

16. Surfguy

Brad Pitt and Eric Cartman disagree with you.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Poor Patrick Tran

18. Nero

Nero Member

Well, fact is, this had to have been some kind of global 'event' which essentially infected everyone on the planet at the same time.

Thus, after that point in time, anyone at all who died for ANY reason would have turned. So I think that is why we see 'sick' people dying and turning; the fact is, people die all the time. It wasn't the 'super-flu' in the prison, it was just normal every-day deaths which occur all the time.

So what caused everyone to suddenly be infected, when a week before, nobody was? For it to have spread like that, to every human being, it couldn't be a natural event, it just couldn't. It has to be either some sort of deliberate manufactured attack of some sort, or some sort of accident with some form of terrible 'bio-weapon' which got released into the atmosphere. Maybe even extra-terrestrial, who knows.

On a side note.. I have not ever really understood how the zombies as presented in TWD can be such a threat. In fact, zombies in general, well, they are just not that much of a threat.

Human beings at their OPTIMUM are not much of a threat, if all they have to use as weapons are their bare hands and their very tiny little jaws and incisor teeth.

I mean seriously - we have an average bite radius of maybe 3 inches at most, our flesh is soft, our nails are soft, our muscles are relatively weak compared to similarly-sized animals. For example, I would be MUCH more terrified of a horde of bears than a horde of slowly shambling squishy-skulled zombies.

The real kicker though is that zombies, unlike, say, a traditional military enemy, cannot reproduce or reinforce their numbers. Every 'killed' zombie is a subtraction from a finite numbered force.

Yes I know the idea is that they overwhelm with sheer numbers, and that's true to an extent, but the surviving human beings should have figured out by now how to utilize things like flame-throwers, or modified vehicles designed to destroy hundreds of zombies at once.

The show presents them as just this sort of never-ending tide, but it's just not something which makes sense. If there are a thousand zombies in that little town there, then when you kill them all, one at a time if necessary, then there just ARE no more, they don't just keep magically popping up from nowhere.

In a situation like that, it should not have taken the remaining human beings long to have regrouped and formed a viable strategy to take the zombies down en masse.

The real problem in the long run would be the 'infection'. Was it a one-time infection, affecting ONLY those who were alive at the moment of infection? In other words, is the infection passed down to future generations? Or are children born free of it? If so, then everything would eventually be ok.

But if the infection is somehow passed along genetically, and no cure is found, then that is the true fear, because no matter how hard you would try, there would always be people dying unexpectedly in some way, and leaving no one around to stab/shoot/smash their heads in, thus creating constant outbreaks of zombie-ism.

But if they could find a cure, and/or children are born free from it, then the future would look ok, and the zombies could be purged from the world.

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

They are not easy to kill. You have to kill a lot of them all day, constantly while looking for food and water. It's not easy. SO then if you make them stronger the human race would not live that long it would be over in a month because no one would know what was going on until it's too late. The 28 days later scenario is good for an action movie but you couldn't make a successful TV show of it because the people who survived would have to be like super heroes. They would all have to be in the military or special agents in "the know" and even then we are talking about things on two legs that run all day without getting tired and are always hungry and never sleep and it would happen without warning, that's an extinction event. Rule one of any scenario when writing is to never make your enemies too strong and your heroes without flaws.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Fun read, but this statement goes against conventional zombie apocalypse tactics. You don't light zombies on fire, because you just end up with a flaming zombie coming at you. :grin: