1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Turn on ESPN, Rockets coverage

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClearLakeTX, Dec 27, 2016.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

Looks like there are two kinds of people on the spectrum: Brett Farve lover and hater. I personally love him and how he played the game, and I think people that love him are generally fun loving happy people.

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

@Mathloom Well said. I wonder if the perception comes from watching guys like Hakeem who were dominant at almost every aspect of the game and lacked any glaring weaknesses. No player is going to be good at everything, there's always tradeoffs.

YallMean likes this.
  3. YallMean

YallMean Member

Hakeem couldn't handle the ball and was such a diva that demanded ball constantly.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yup, always trade offs. And there are intangible issues as well - what happens when MDA has this "talk" with Harden and Harden replies "are you f'ing kidding me?" and two days later tells Daryl it's him or MDA. This trickles down to the team, and morale gets shot. And at that point MDA has to feel like an ******* - it is too much to ask of even the most paid player in the league. Morey - not a people person - has to fix a giant HR issue now. Les is wondering why anyone tinkered with his succesful dream scenario.

It's just too much, no one does this much for their team and hopefully the organization knows it. If this roster is going to snatch 3rd seed with Harden leading it, then my primary concern is making sure Harden has all the tools and mental support he needs to just keep doing what he's ALREADY doing as well as he HAS BEEN doing it. If I'm looking for improvement, I'll seek small improvements from the overall team and individual role players. Less risky, more likely to bear fruit.

The funny thing is knowing Harden and how he has made giant strides in leadership year to year, he will come out next season and fix even this. He'll study his ass off, work hard, sit down with coaches, review the playbook and come back determined to solve it even if no one pressures him to. That's the kind of guy he is, we're lucky to have a player so interested in self improvement honestly. It's pretty rare I think.

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I read it all.

Mathloom likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I honestly think what you just said is prob the most overlooked aspect of Harden. He is constantly improving and finding ways to get better on the court and as a leader.

The guy loves basketball he's always playing in pick up games in the summer he never wants to rest during the regular season.

The guy is committed to his craft. Like you said it's very rare for a players to have this approach.

Even coach Mchale said James was a gym rat and would come in and put hours upon hours in the gym, grinding out long sessions.

He's really competitive and loves the game, in top go being very talente. Those are recipes for success and is the main reason I'm so optimistic that Harden will lead this franchise to a championship for the first time since the dream.

I just have a feeling that we're watching something special with this group. Nobody thinks they can do it but when you have a guy like harden with good role players who have bought in. I think they can beat anyone, won't be easy but a championship run never is. This is the first time since harden has been here that I have that feeling.

8. varughese.arun

WHICH SHOW ON ESPN?

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It's not Harden's TO's you should be looking at, but rather the entire team's. No one gets on Russell Westbrook for his historic usage rate leading to his league-leading PER, but they should if it means that the team as a whole is having a sub-par offensive efficiency (hint: they should, since OKC is 16th).

http://www.espn.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats/_/sort/turnoverRatio/order/false

So yes, the Rockets deserve some flak for being the 4th worst team at taking care of the ball. But unlike 3pt shooting rates, 3pt%, and 3pt defense, low TO rates do not correlate extremely well to winning. Look at GSW who are 20th in the league as an example we should aspire towards.

10. jayfree

jayfree Member

Actually Harden is having his best year ever with Assist to TO ratio.

ricardo1979 and Lawlruschang like this.
  11. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

It was sports center, I never watch it, channel was randomly on it, saw "red hot rockets" on the countdown area to the left when I made the thread

It was the girl running the show, then they went in Brian windhorst, he was taking about how good hardens been this year, then how Mike D and harden are good match with our offense.

Then they went into defense, saying how we have improved, and no one expected that under Mike D

How were 11-2 past games best record in the league in that time frame.

How we are Looking at home court advantage in playoffs but still a lot of games left.

I was just surprised after we lost to Spurs & grid we still got this coverage after just beating the suns. But they didn't talk about suns game

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

NBATV be like "YOU GET A CLIPPERS GAME, YOU GET A CLIPPERS GAME, AND YOU GET A CLIPPERS GAME.....WE ALL GET CLIPPERS GAMES!!!"

ribbit and Stormy1234 like this.
  13. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

checked all over ESPN's site. there is no story or segment about Rockets as OP mentioned.

14. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

look at the list the list of the guys in the top 20 in turnovers, which one of them wouldnt you have on this team

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So what? Doesn't mean that he can't work on getting better.

DD

Cashmoney likes this.
  16. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

100% precent agree you don't wait to say something now could ruin the chemistry

17. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

I left info, it was like a 3-5 min rundown. You would have to find that sportscenter I guess

18. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Kevin Durant wouldn't put us over the top. Hes just a 3 point shooter at this point in his career.

Not even LeBron would make us a one seed.

I think VSpan is ready to make an impact

DD

DonKnock and Blurr#7 like this.
  19. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Sorry but Harden's turnovers are pretty much irrelevant, most over rated stat, especially when you run the whole offence. It wouldn't matter who ran this offence, the turnover count will be high anyway

Everyone turns the ball over, only matters if you outscore the other team

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. topfive

topfive CF OG

MDA won't be talking to Harden about limiting his turnovers because he doesn't want Harden to be thinking about that. He'd rather give James the freedom to play and take the good with the bad. That's MDA's style.

Saw an interview with Raja Bell the other day, and he said that on the 7-Seconds Phoenix Suns, Leandro Barbosa wasn't passing to him (Bell) in a way he could do much of anything after catching the ball. After it happened 5 or 6 times in a row. The passes were ill-timed or just off the mark. Bell told MDA to say something to Barbosa about it, and MDA said (paraphrasing), "Nah, if I get on him about it, he'll start to think about what he's doing and that'll f#@k everything up. Just let him be and he'll figure it out."

#40 topfive, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    burlesk likes this.