1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tunisian Amina, 19, in psych ward for posting topless Femen pics

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Mar 24, 2013.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Tunis - According to the Femen leader in Paris Inna Shevchenko, the family of the Tunisian woman Amina, 19, have delivered her to a psychiatric hospital after she posted topless photos of herself to the Femen web page she created for the group in Tunisia.
    According to Jezebel, Amina disappeared a few days after her March 16 appearance on the popular Tunisian television talk show, Labes (see YouTube video above), during which she explained, with her face blurred to protect her identity, her decision to join Femen.
    "One of the people who kidnapped Amina has been boasting that they did it for 'her own good,'" Free Thought Blog reports.
    Free Thought Blog first reported it was unclear who took her or where she was being held, but confirmed that her phone was taken from her and communication with her stopped. The blog later reported she was seized by her family, possibly in collaboration with the civil police, and hospitalized in a psychiatric hospital in Tunis. The blog linked to this video that appears to show Amina being abducted.
    One of the photos Amina posted to the Femen page she created for the group in Tunisia shows her topless, smoking a cigarette with the defiant message "My Body is My Own and Not the Source of Anyone's Honor," scrawled in Arabic across her chest (see photo above).
    Another photo shows her with a middle finger raised and the message "**** Your Morals" inscribed in Arabic across her torso.
    The Atlantic reports that Amina's Femen page was later hacked and defaced with citations from the Quran.
    According to Change.org, the head of Al-Jamia Al-Li-Wassatia Tawia Wal-Islah (Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice) in Tunisia, Almi Adel, a radical Salafi preacher, called for Amina to be flogged and "stoned to death" for posting the "sacrilegious" images.
    Adel warned that if action was not taken Amina's behavior could lead to "epidemics and disasters" and "could be contagious and give ideas to other women."

Reports say Amina could also be sentenced to two years in prison under Tunisian secular law.
    The Atlantic reports Inna Shevckenko said: "Amina and I were in contact by phone until four days ago, when she disappeared. Her phone went dead and her Facebook page was removed, which also meant I lost all my correspondence with her. I can't get hold of her."
    Shevchenko explained that she and Amina had been talking about Femen's ideology and making plans for starting a branch of the radical feminist group in Tunisia.
    According Jezebel, after Amina reportedly disappeared, Shevchenko found a video in which Amina's aunt said that the 19-year-old "is now with her family. She had decided to kill herself and so posted nude pictures of herself online."
    Shevchenko was of the opinion that her aunt's statement was a way to smother her voice. The Femen leader said that it was "a typical way of reacting to a woman's demand to be free--they say she's gone crazy or is being too emotional."
    It appears, however, that the move by her family was a way to prevent her being stoned to death, executed in a honor killing or face legal action that could lead to her imprisonment.
    Meanwhile, Twitter has taken up Amina's cause under the hashtag #Amina. Richard Dawkins, atheist and author of the 2006 bestseller The God Delusion, has joined a call for a day of action in support of the Tunisian girl.
    Femen has issued a statement calling on women to "fight for their freedom against religious atrocities" and to "use your body as a poster for the slogans of freedom. Bare breasts against Islamism."
    Maryam Namazie's Free Thought Blogs has also initiated a campaign to make April 4th the International Day to Defend Amina. The statement on Freethought Blog signed by several secular and feminist activists, including Inna Shevchenko and Richard Dawkins, reads:

There is also a petition for her protection on Change.org.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/346342

------------------

Props to this courageous woman who stands up to Islamist fanaticism and oppression of women.

If you want to google the pictures: "Amina Tyler"

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

The guy who wants her stoned to death.

[​IMG]

Amina.

Other women are showing their bare breasts to protest Islamism and oppression of women. If you google her name, you will see some of that.

If for nothing else, for that alone, this woman deserves our admiration and support!

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Femen is now ridiculing Islamist intolerance and oppression of women in many countries. Awesome job by these ladies.

Picture maybe NSFW

[​IMG]

What kind of morals does this old man have? Just because he doesn't like that the woman is showing her breasts, he thinks he can resort to violence and kick her? She is right - fark "morals" like that.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

That is actual nudity...

1 person likes this.
  5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I certainly applaud opposing the oppression of women. People should be protesting that as often as possible. It's ridiculous to institutionalize a woman because of topless photos.

I have no idea if the mosques they were targeting were supportive the locking up of Amina, or not. If they weren't supportive of that, then maybe they could have all targeted the Tunisian embassy as some did. If those mosques were supportive of that, then they should be targeted for protest.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How can a straight man not support these protesters?:grin:

8. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Into the mind of an extremist "muslim":
    Extremist #1: OMG I have boner. What do I do?
    Extremist #2: Quick, smash it with a frying pan.
    Extremist #1: It's not working!! Some Imam told me I'm going to hell for this!
    Extremist #3: The answer here is to stone the woman to death. It's clearly her fault. Then we will all go to heaven...

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

SJC's two greatest passions in one thread! Breasts versus Islam! :grin:

1 person likes this.
  10. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

11. Hou_rox

Hou_rox Member

I wonder if these same extremists would be angry if a man walked around the streets with his dick out.

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

some of them need all the support they can get

13. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

14. Raven

Raven Member

And if these same protestors were waving their t*** in front of a Church in America? I'm quite sure the response would be different.

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Women are not as oppressed in America as in the Muslim world.

16. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Didn't your crazy Islamophobe relatives bomb that same mosque a few years ago?

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

adeelsiddiqui, do you think it is okay that the man kicks that woman?

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Real boobs versus religious ones !

DD

19. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You know most photographs are staged by the photographer. The composition of this particular photo is deliberate, and from your response it's simple to conclude it is effective.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

If you click the Atlantic link, you will see that there is a whole series of photos.

Why deflect from this man's mistake? You didn't do it. But you would rather assume that it was staged?

Were the stormings of embassies also "staged" after the cartoons came out?

Same mentality behind it.