1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tunisia has just entered revolution mode, President booted..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mathloom, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/01/15/tunisia.protests/index.html?hpt=T1

Several North African leaders ****ting their pants right now.. I don't know the whole story, but if this is led by the people and for the people, then I'm very happy for them. I just hope they don't fall victim to what I call post revolution pendulum effect. Essentially, becoming extreme on the opposite side of the extremism they got rid of.

2. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

This is a plus for democracy. This could be trouble for dictators in the region, including many of the American supported dictators. Ben Ali was a great American ally in the so called war on terror.

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

^^^
    More like mass revolt, not a peaceful democratic way at all. Not very familiar with North Africa's political situations, but have been hearing about bad things coming out of that region constantly. What sort of state are those states in? I gather free elections are in place in that region. What's the problem? Dictatorship because ... ?

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

ok NY times says
    Where has the freedom fighter US been?

1 person likes this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I am concerned that islamists, with support from Saudi Arabia and others, might seize this opportunity to try and install a more fundamentalist regime in that country.

6. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. trustme

trustme Member

What makes you think Saudi Arabia supports terrorists?

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Do you actually doubt this? :confused:

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You still don't get it lol.

The terrorists hate the Saudi government and vice versa. The war is not on America. The terrorist war is on Saudi Arabia, and the only reason the US is involved is because they are the hands inside the 'puppets'.

The current leaders of Saudi brutally murdered the 'west'-hating former leaders of the country, even though they were family. This is how strong their ties are with the US.

They defy the OPEC countries by unnecessarily increasing oil supply when the price goes up.

They literally said that America is their friend.

What kind of evidence do you need more than what's presented in the world today? Why is OBL in Afghanistan? Why does he attempt to attack Saudi Arabia and set up cells there remotely? Why has the Bin Laden family essentially disowned OBL and remained friends with the government of Saudi?

You're really making a fool of yourself by holding onto to myths that happen to support your bigoted view of the world.

It's funny because the Saudi government and Saudi people are getting screwed by terrorists because they refuse to give up their friendship and loyalty to the US. While over here ATW is accusing them of supporting terrorists lol.

1 person likes this.
  10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

[​IMG]

11. trustme

trustme Member

Yes, because the citizens of that country were involved in 9/11, it means the government automatically supports terrorism. Amazing logic.

12. trustme

trustme Member

Man reading that was like watching T-Mac's 13 in 35.

13. bigtexxx

Most of the 9/11 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia. Might not be the governmet itself, but there is clearly a network to support terrorism there, that would have an interest in what happens in Tunisia. Not hard to understand that, brah.

14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Shall we post American Islamic terrorists on here?

Nevermind that the mastermind is trained by the US government. There must be support for terrorism from the US government :rolleyes: .

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Did I say "the Saudi government?"

No, I said "support from Saudi Arabia".

And even if I had said "the Saudi government" - unless you can demonstrate that you actually are able to track the ways the funds of members of the Saudi governing clans take, I strongly doubt that you have anything to substantiate your claim that they aren't still supporting terrorism in some way.

I have little doubt that islamists will try to seize the opportunity to transform Tunisia into a more fundamentalist state. And I repeat: Funding for this will, among other places, come out of Saudi Arabia.

You are the one who either "does not get it" or plays dumb.

--------------------

Saudi Arabia is hub of world terror
    The desert kingdom supplies the cash and the killers

(...)

Yet wealthy Saudis remain the chief financiers of worldwide terror networks. “If I could somehow snap my fingers and cut off the funding from one country, it would be Saudi Arabia,” said Stuart Levey, the US Treasury official in charge of tracking terror financing.

Extremist clerics provide a stream of recruits to some of the world’s nastiest trouble spots.

An analysis by NBC News suggested that the Saudis make up 55% of foreign fighters in Iraq. They are also among the most uncompromising and militant.

(...)

As long as foreigners were the principal targets, the Saudis turned a blind eye to terror. Even the September 11 attacks of 2001, in which 15 of the 19 hijackers were Saudis, could not shake their complacency. Despite promises to crack down on radical imams, Saudi mosques continued to preach hatred of America.

(...)

Hundreds of Islamic militants have been arrested but many have been released after undergoing reeducation programmes led by Muslim clerics.

According to the daily Alwa-tan, the interior ministry has given 115m riyals (£14.7m) to detainees and their families to help them to repay debts, to assist families with health care and housing, to pay for weddings and to buy a car on their release. The most needy prisoners’ families receive 2,000-3,000 riyals (£286 to £384) a month.

Ali Sa’d Al-Mussa, a lecturer at King Khaled University in Abha, protested: “I’m afraid that holding [extremist] views leads to earning a prize or, worse, a steady income.”

(...)

School textbooks still teach the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, a notorious antiSemitic forgery, and preach hatred towards Christians, Jews and other religions, including Shi’ite Muslims, who are considered heretics.

Ali al-Ahmed, director of the Washington-based Institute for Gulf Affairs, said: “The Saudi education system has over 5m children using these books. If only one in 1,000 take these teachings to heart and seek to act on them violently, there will be 5,000 terrorists.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article2801017.ece

16. bigtexxx

you cannot be serious. You're just being difficult, or unable to understand basic points.

17. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

They may not openly support it (and its fair to say the Al Saud family would love to wipe out all terrorists in Saudi Arabia.) but the Al Saud family made a deal with the devil when they agreed to form an alliance with the Al-Wahhab family and its followers. They got control of the Peninsula and in exchange they got stuck passively tolerating a group of fundamentalists that have spent billions on exporting their nonsense which they get thanks to all of the money flowing around Saudi Arabia.

18. dback816

dback816 Member

That's basically what you are doing.

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Cmon guys! Countries like Saudi & Jordan have more important things to worry about like oppressing Shia Muslims :eek:

20. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Dude you have to lower your tax rate to improve your popularity. I guess he never played the Total War or Civ series?

1 person likes this.