1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tubby Smith Leaving Kentucky to coach Minnesota

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by RocketMan Tex, Mar 22, 2007.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2808406

Updated: March 22, 2007, 3:51 PM ET
    Sources: Smith to leave Kentucky for Minnesota
    By Andy Katz
    ESPN.com

Tubby Smith will leave Kentucky to take over the head coaching job at Minnesota, multiple sources told ESPN.com's Andy Katz.

Smith had four years remaining on his Kentucky contract.

Smith has met with Kentucky players and Kentucky athletic director Mitch Barnhart. Smith is expected to fly to Minnesota later Thursday afternoon.

Smith called former Minnesota coach Dan Monson early Thursday and told him he was accepting the job. Minnesota is expected to pay Smith $1.8 million per year.

In 10 years at Kentucky, where he replaced Rick Pitino, Smith went 263-83 and went to the NCAA Tournament every season, winning the 1998 championship. But the Wildcats have not won been back to the Final Four since, and this season's team, which went 22-12 and 9-7 in the SEC, had more Kentucky fans calling for Smith's ouster.

Earlier this month, before the Wildcats began the NCAA Tournament, Barnhart issued a statement supporting Smith, saying "Tubby's our basketball coach."

But he also said that he and Smith would sit down after the season to discuss changes -- and declined to say whether any of Smith's assistants might be replaced.

2. updawg

updawg Member

aggie say goodbye to billy

3. RocketMan Tex

Man, I hope you are wrong, but you just might be right. :(

4. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Man thats crazy, I wonder if Tubby just got tired of the expectations in UK land. Doubt he would have gotten the boot seeing as he made the tourney this year. How did Minnesota come into the picture? Minnesota is just giving Munson the boot for no reason? I know he has struggled at Minnesota but he did well with the Zags before going to Minnesota.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I wonder if Barnes could be a candidate?

Knowing how much Gillespie's life revolves around basketball, I wouldn't be surprised if he would leave A&M for UK. In fact, unless you're coaching at Duke, UNC, Kansas or UCLA, I wouldn't be surprised if you left for UK.

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

A couple of people in the office think that Kentucky might make a run at Tennessee's coach, Bruce Pearl (sp?). Gillespie should be a frontrunner for the UK job.

7. RocketMan Tex

Gillespie already makes over 1 Mil a year. Kentucky would have to offer him 2 Mil a year to leave, and with the season A&M has had this year, I am quite sure A&M would match it.

Barnes leaving Texas for Kentucky is a more logical scenario than Gillespie leaving A&M for Kentucky.

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Agreed, but UK is a more storied program and who woulnd't want that...Although, the pressure would be a lot higher...I don't see Barnes leaving...

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

There's restricted free agency in NCAA basketball coaching?

I would guarandamtee you that Gillespie (and Barnes for that matter) would leave their schools for a program like UK's. It's a no-brainer, especially for a guy like Gillespie who lives and breathes basketball.

10. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Hell, there are a lot of coaches that would take a pay cut to coach at Kentucky. I highly doubt that a coach would demand KY double his salary before he left a school with zero basketball tradition.

11. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Gillespie would be crazy to turn down Kentucky. I know he's a Texas guy and has done a great job both recruiting and coaching at aTm, but Kentucky....?

12. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Why would anyone stay with a job like the A&M job when they could leave for one of the pinnacle jobs of college basketball coaching?

Rick Barnes would be crazy not to take that job if offered as well.

13. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Wow that's amazing. I hadn't even heard this yet on local MN radio. That said as an MN tax payer and a U of MN alumni, I got my Master's degree at the U. I would rather not see my money going to pay for hiring a star basketball coach when tuition at the U is rising through the roof and while they're building a new football stadium paid for by the state and student service fees.

14. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

I guess I should have spent another 8 seconds reading the rest of the thread before I posted.

15. updawg

updawg Member

wouldn't the boosters be paying that salary?

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

ESPN updated that article a little bit more by mentioning possible candidates for the now open UK job - Gillespie and Pearl are not named at all.

Some of the names mentioned include Tom Crean, Tom Izzo, John Calipari, Mark Few, and Mike Brey.

17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Barnes and Gillespie will both be leading candidates for the job. Barnes has always complained about the lame atmosphere at the Erwin Center, and lack of fan enthusiasm for the most part. The Kentucky job might just be enough to make him leave. Problem is he's making $1.8 million/yr, so it would have to be more than just about money. He'd have to want to follow in the footsteps of Rupp and Pitino

Billy Gillespie, on the other hand, is a Texas guy and is building A&M into a national contender. He just signed a huge extension last offseason and Billy Byrne won't let him go without a fight.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

except, i think at this point Gillespie is more highly thought of than Barnes. Barnes has been taking a lot of criticism in the court of public opinion.

19. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

well, barnes already has a really strong recruiting base in (arguably) on of the deepest recruiting zones in the country (Texas). barnes has proven that he can bring top-quality talent from out-of-state as well (tucker, durant). even if aTm makes it to the final four, gillespie is still going to be behind barnes in recruiting within his own state -- and i would suggest even further behind with out-of-state recruiting.
    however, gillespie would immediately begin to (have the capacity to) draw top-quality talent from the state of kentucky as well as from any other recruiting hot-bed nation-wide.
    while i agree that kentucky is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for a basketball coach, i think barnes realizes that he's got something special going on at Texas right now (and for the future).
    ...just an (extremely biased) opinion.

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Where?