1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TSN: New stats make defenders like Everett stars

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by xcrunner51, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Apparently management agrees that he sucks...thanks.

2. surrender

surrender Member

Everett's hitting wouldn't be a problem if he was surrounded by better hitters in the lineup. I complain about his horrible hitting all the time, but the Astros would be stupid to let him go unless they received a damn good offer.

3. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

Or injured, thanks.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

hey, i'm just enthusiastic you finally came around to the viewpoint that you don't expect the same offensive production from a middle infielder than from other positions...or that you don't expect the same production from your 2 hitter and your 4 hitter! :D

we apparently unite in the cause for AE!

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He's currently injured? Is he on the DL? Thanks.

6. msn

msn Member

Gratitude is so sorely missing in our society today. How refreshing is this conversation.

Thanks. :D

7. MadMax

i wanna thank you for pointing that out. msner, you're doin' a heckuva job. ;)

8. Buck Turgidson

Except that...oops...he wasn't exactly lighting it up for the month+ before he got hurt.

Shoulder injured initially on June 9.

MoBerg in May: .216/.328/.450 + 4-23 from June 1-9.

9. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

Um... when did I ever expect the same offensive production from a middle infielder than from other positions? And I don't think I ever said that I expect the same production from a #2 and #4 hitter.

The whole Ensberg argument was that even though he wasn't hitting for power, he was still having productive at-bats by getting on base. I never said we shouldn't move him around in the order, I just disputed "he needs to start hacking" BS that was being spewed. Being selective is a positive and good skill that never needs to be curtailed, especially not to "boost those RBIs totals" (rolleyes).

My main rolleyes is at this whole "stats are evil" "numbers are the devil" attitude that some people have.

THE FILES... ARE INSIDE THE COMPUTER

10. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

Ok great, he was slumping. Nice work detective. Ensberg is a beast, he will return to form if the Astros give him a chance.

11. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

He was injured, never really given a chance to return with the addition of Huff and reduction of his playing time, thanks. 4th in MVP voting last season, don't be a fair weather shortsighted fan.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The VORPs...they're blinding!

13. msn

msn Member

It would be pretty shortsighted to say that Ensberg will never be a contributing ML player again. That said, it's also pretty shortsighted (nearly blind) not to say that he sucks ass this year. Good grief.

Were Mo and Bidge hitting like Mo and Bidge, we'd be making a run at the Cardinals now, not listening to Phil talk about "first we have to worry about getting to .500". Bidge has fewer RBIs than Everett. Damn.

14. MadMax

search is disabled. even if it weren't, i don't care enough to argue about it.

and maybe i completely misunderstood you.

15. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

I've always been an Everett suporter, maybe you're confusing me with somebody else.

It was probably just miscommunication about Ensberg.

Go Astros.

Are yall gonna go see a game anytime soon?

I'm gonna go Sunday with the wifey, if yall are there come say hi.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

At the very least, you don't consider doing anything but playing Adam Everett every day until Biggio retires. He makes so many plays up the middle and on the other side of 2nd base that covers for Biggio's lack of coverage. He is needed for that alone to the point that any offense he adds is gravy. After Biggio is gone and we have a 2B with more range, he becomes more expendable.

That said, I love the guy and think we should keep him around. I think he's a little better offensively than he's been this season. That still ain't great, but he is one of the best defensive shortstops that I've ever seen.

17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

leroy touched upon the point that I was going to make, which is that Everett's production is somewhat skewed by the fact that Biggio's range is nil. It's like a CF who catches more fly balls in left center when the LF is a suspect defender. I'm not saying Everett is bad, he's clearly one of the best, but probably not by the margin he's depicted as having.

I don't see a good replacement for AE out there in the farm system, so I suspect we'll be seeing him starting at SS for the Stros for the next few seasons anway. His offensive ineptitude would be a smaller issue if we had more stars and fewer offensive black holes.

18. msn

msn Member

Not sure I buy that. Were Tejada or Lugo next to Bidge, I'm not sure they'd get to every ball that Bidge doesn't make it to and Everett gets. And the ones they get to you'd see on highlight reels, while AE makes it look routine.

19. MadMax

if anything, i'd argue this INCREASES his value to this team at this point.

20. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I never said they would. I said that the fact that Bidge gets to fewer balls than the average 2B leaves more balls for Everett to scoop up, artificially increasing his perceived range. I can guarantee that Tejada and Lugo wouldn't get to all the balls Everett gets to - that's obvious. But they might cover some of the extra ground near 2B that Everett covers for the Stros.

I agree with this statement, until Biggio retires we need a defensive SS to cover for his deficiencies with the glove.