1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TSN: New stats make defenders like Everett stars

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by xcrunner51, Aug 30, 2006.

1. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

2. superden

superden Contributing Member

Wonderful! Does this mean he has more trade value now? :D

3. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

Why would we want to trade him? He's the best defensive shortstop in baseball.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Because he can't hit and defense is only 50% of the game.

+76 over 3 years means that he makes about 25 more plays a year than the average SS over 162 games taht is about 1 in every 6 games......NOT exactly all that meaningful if you equate his horrible hitting.

DD

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i don't think i have the heart to have this discussion again. :)

6. Buck Turgidson

Over 500 ABs, the difference b/t a .240 hitter and a .275 hitter is about 18 base hits...or 1 every 9 games.

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Who the hell is this moron? Why do Astros fans need to "pipe down" about the supposed trade of Oswalt and Everett for Tejada when no Astros fans wanted Oswalt traded?

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

How do the kids say it? Pwnd?

9. DaDakota

It depends on if a good portion of the rest of his hits are doubles or HRs......

Which makes a BIG difference over a singles hitter like Chris Everett.

DD

10. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

You made a mistake, his name is Adam. Learn to read English, thanks.

It is not necessary for a team to have a slugger at shortstop. Defense is much more critical at that position than any other position. Learn about these things, thanks.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

While you're at it, learn about how much Morgan Ensberg helps the team with his timely walks, thanks.

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i never look forward to seeing Everett in the batter's box. i always thought he is expendable. but after hearing how effective he is defensively about a month ago, i've had a change of heart. his defense more than makes up for his pathetic offense. if anyone should be replaced, it's Ausmus. i refuse to believe his game calling is so good that it can overcome his anemic bat. he hits worse than Everett and can't throw out runners. the only redeeming quality about Ausmus is his ability to block Brad Lidge's sliders in the dirt.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Just remember that DaDakota thinks it is perfectly acceptable for the Astros to potentially sacrifice a player from their 40 man roster in order to bring up a Single A, .229 hitting, 3rd baseman to catch at least an inning for a team in the middle of a playoff chase. It doesn't matter that he has more than likely not caught all year (nor was he drafted as a catcher) and that a bad inning could lead to a loss which could lead to finishing one game out of the playoffs. Considering that the Astros have won the wild card the last 2 years by one game, that's a big gamble.

14. DaDakota

Woah....I did not say it was ACCEPTABLE....learn to read......I said that is what I think is going to happen, and one of the things I extrapolate that Drayton used to coax Roger into one more year.

Just a guess.

DD

15. DaDakota

He hits the ball like a girl, thus the laughable Chris Everett reference, learn to have a sense of humor...thanks.

SS is crucial on defense, no one is saying play Lamb at SS, I am saying get an adequate SS who makes all the routine plays and hits pretty well too.

Ala....Julio Lugo....

;)

DD

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah, Lugo was money in the field when it mattered most!!! :D

you picked the worst example possible...literally Exhibit "A" for why AE is so important to this team.

17. msn

msn Member

Good, because no one (in his right mind) is saying that. Watch Ausmus receive the ball, even at his advanced age. Watch his footwork. Watch how he sets up behind the plate. He puts on a freaking clinic. It might not be enough to make up for .220, but it sure as heck isn't something trivial. The guy is an amazing defensive catcher, one of the best ever. If he were a career .295 hitter and had a dozen yacks a year, they'd be comparing him to some of the great catchers all time.

18. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

I got the [poor] joke without having you explain it, thanks. His name is still Adam, get it right, thanks.

I'd rather upgrade the first 7 spots of the lineup and other defensive positions before worrying about the 8th hitting shortstop who happens to be the best defensive shortstop in baseball, thanks. Apparently, management agrees with me, thanks.

19. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

I like to think back on the 2004 NLCS. With Everett at short instead of Viz, I think we win in 5.

20. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

When he takes a walk, he doesn't make an out.

BUT OMG LOL... TEH RBIZ0RS LOL ROFL