1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TSA Fail Again - 6-year-old on 'No Fly' List

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by yo, Jun 25, 2010.

1. yo

yo Contributing Member

Granted, national security is no easy matter to deal with, but what's all this about?

&nbsp;<embed type='application/x-shockwave-flash' salign='l' flashvars='&amp;titleAvailable=true&amp;playerAvailable=true&amp;searchAvailable=false&amp;shareFlag=N&amp;singleURL=http://wjw.vidcms.trb.com/alfresco/service/edge/content/c84b659c-a0e7-42d0-ae54-b75fe504c3eb&amp;propName=wjw.com&amp;hostURL=http://www.fox8.com&amp;swfPath=http://wjw.vid.trb.com/player/&amp;omAccount=triblocaltvglobal&amp;omnitureServer=fox8.com' allowscriptaccess='always' allowfullscreen='true' menu='true' name='PaperVideoTest' bgcolor='#ffffff' devicefont='false' wmode='transparent' scale='showall' loop='true' play='true' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer' quality='high' src='http://wjw.vid.trb.com/player/PaperVideoTest.swf' align='middle' height='450' width='300'></embed>

WESTLAKE, Ohio - Alyssa Thomas, 6, is a little girl who is already under the spotlight of the federal government. Her family recently discovered that Alyssa is on the "no fly" list maintained by U.S. Homeland Security.

"We were, like, puzzled," said Dr. Santhosh Thomas. "I'm like, well, she's kinda six-years-old and this is not something that should be typical."

Dr. Thomas and his wife were made aware of the listing during a recent trip from Cleveland to Minneapolis. The ticket agent at the Continental counter at Hopkins Airport notified the family. "They said, well, she's on the list. We're like, okay, what's the story? What do we have to do to get off the list? This isn't exactly the list we want to be on," said Dr. Thomas.

The Federal Bureau of Investigations in Cleveland will confirm that a list exists, but for national security reasons, no one will discuss who is on the list or why.

The Thomas family was allowed to make their trip but they were told to contact Homeland Security to clear-up the matter. Alyssa just received a letter from the government, notifying the six-year-old that nothing will be changed and they won't confirm nor deny any information they have about her or someone else with the same name.

"She's been flying since she was two-months old, so that has not been an issue," said Alyssa's dad. "In fact, we had traveled to Mexico in February and there were no issues at that time."

According to the Transportation Security Administration, Alyssa never had any problems before because the Secure Flight Program just began in June for all domestic flights. A spokesperson will only say, "the watch lists are an important layer of security to prevent individuals with known or suspected ties to terrorism from flying."

Right now, Alyssa has other priorities. "My Barbies, my magic mirror and jumping on my bed!" But her name will likely stay on the list and as for the next time she flies, the FBI says they'll rely on the common sense of the security agents.

"She may have threatened her sister, but I don't think that constitutes Homeland Security triggers," said Dr. Thomas.

The Thomas family can still fly, but the check-in process will likely take much longer. They plan on making another appeal to U.S. Homeland Security.

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/fox8/TDC735AG8FOE709K1

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

modern family

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i dont trust her.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

At least the kid didn't get killed like the Taliban would handle it.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Having flown next to several six year olds, I applaud this move.

There are many faces of terrorism, and one is a small, hyper, snotty face.

6. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

I'm like, .....confused.

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Seriously? The girl is a terrorist. Anyone can see that. If you play the video backwards the girl actually says Muhammad and Jihad 7 different times, and even one time using both words together.

1 person likes this.
  8. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This happens so often with Arabic names, it's so incredibly irritating. I hear India has started to reciprocate on this matter lol.

10. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Perhaps there are more than one of them, same name, but cannot divulge that information.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Alyssa Thomas is an arabic name? I think they are mallu

12. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

for real, this mom fell asleep and her kid sht his pants and the whole plane stunk for like 45 minutes

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Alyssa can be Arabic. I can see Thomas maybe in parts of Lebanon/Palestine as well. I doubt this is an Arabic name though. Was just making a general observation about how often people with traditional Arabic names have this problem. Most of the time, it's a "mistake" and they just midread the name. Will still keep you there for a while though.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

At least they picked someone brown instead of some white little girl or grandmother.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Has it been proven that she is not a danger to our country?

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

If you are old enough to count down from 10, you are old enough to be a terrorist.

17. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

I would wager the OP didn't expect this thread to go the direction it has.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

They should put the list on a website so parents know what names to avoid when naming their babies.

I know they can't do that or terrorists won't use the names either. In fact, thanks to this article, the dangerous Alyssa Thomas now knows not to fly with that name.

19. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Please... the kid is obviously a drug mule. You can see a balloon sticking out of her ear.

20. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

But is that what our intel on preventing terrorism comes down to?....Basing who is on a no-fly list because of their name?!? They really didn't have the resources or the brains to see who she actually was? I dunno about you, but that sorta scary and pathetic.