1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trying out for a few basketball teams(insight needed)possible routine sharing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jcee15, Jan 16, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Chinahype

Chinahype Member

If you want one leg explosiveness...simply train one leg jumping. Try one leg squats, one leg toe ups etc.. and of course simply try to jump your highest when doing some layup drills off one leg.

2. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

I like your response, well thought out. Esp. the stretching, I have been working on that and it seems to be improving my range of movement.

However, I have never really lifted weights, so I couldn't have reached my genetic peak IMHO. The difference in 1 month is night and day. I have yet to do anything exclusively explosive besides hooping.

I'm looking to do so now, but again, great post, repped.

3. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Jc is a straight killer on the courts, the game of Manu on Red Bull

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I doubt you ever get that ability off of one foot because your balance is not coming off of 2 feet, or your core/center.

But, do you use the jump stop? If you are better at jumping off 2, or exploding, then work on making the jump stop a core of your game at the rim.

If you are quick, utilize it, you being left handed is already a major advantage as most people are taught to force a players left....work on changing speeds..and lulling defenders to sleep on the bounce, change the cadence in which you bounce the ball, study how others bounce it, and work on reaching in as the ball leaves their hand to the ground rather than on the way back up.

Lots of ways to gain advantages at your size, lots....

Think of it this way....Calvin Murphy never worried about exploding off of one leg and playing through contact, he worked on exploiting the pockets in a defense and getting off a quick midrange shot.

And the midrange is key too for a shorter player, as that shot is almost overlooked today.

Good luck and let us know how it goes......

DD

PS. Being a quick thinker and understanding the spacing portion of a game and movement is more important than anything else....

5. jcee15

Yeahhh sonnnnn, lol. I'm gonna rep you for the BBQ, not the post.

6. jcee15

I've always loved Timmy Hardaway, my game has a lot of similarities in terms of a quick look off, chop chop.
    Good advice on the midrange, I always incorporate that when I put shots up.

I'll let ya'll know either way, image is nothing, obey your thirst. -Sprite, a subsiderary of Coca Cola, all rights reserved.