1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

trump's nativist/racist tweets

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I completely agree.

I do not agree with the treatment that some people are receiving at the border.

However, it is not something to sustain a political party on.

The democrats should advocate sensible border construction if it allows for work based amnesty for select people living in the USA.

There are a large number of working class voters in this country that work at WalMart or work seasonally that SHOULD be aligned with the Democratic party but are not, because the Democratic party simply does not prioritize them.

2. mick fry

mick fry Member

Dammit! Well said Nook.

#262 mick fry, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  3. Nook

Nook Member

It isn't necessarily policy relate.

Not all the policies pushed by the President have been for the advantage of the blue collar voter.

However at a minimum he has addressed the blue collar voter and has said he is pushing policy in their best interest.

IF a candidate emerges that resonates with blue collar voters, then Trump is in serious trouble.... same with if there is an economic downturn, even a slight one.

The blue collar voters are not wed to Trump like then have in the past to certain candidates..... they simply know he is at least telling them they matter.

mick fry likes this.
  4. TheresTheDagger

Well, I got an honest take with zero anger directed my way. What more could one ask for?

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You are letting right wing propaganda frame your narrative of what these Congresswomen prioritize. Right wing media will absolutely spam any language showing sympathy to illegal immigrants and then claim that "this is what they are running on".

They are not going to attack rhetoric from these congresswomen when they routinely discuss the problems with corporate influence in our legislation proccess. In reality, that is their main shtick hence why they are all part of the "Justice Democrats" coalition. You might percieve their desires to remove undeserved corporate influence in politics as naive but that is exactly what they harp on the vast majority of time. I'm assuming you understand that type of rhetoric DOES work well with people who work at Walmart or other near min wage jobs. It's just the right wing will not spam tweets attacking that message because they understand that message is popular amongst blue collar workers.

Hence why I'm claiming that right wing media has framed your argument. It shows how much more power and effectiveness they wield in these platforms because I know you aren't a right wing Individual.

Honestly, as a Individual who respects you as a poster, I'm pretty disappointed that in a thread about the president using a tried and true racist trope about these congresswomen, you resort to "but these women are still bad for the country".

DreamShook likes this.
  6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I don't think accepting science, facts, and the truth versus rejecting same is staying on my high horse. These people reject basic, verifiable facts and believe the constant lies put out by the President of the United States. It's really behavior unprecedented in US history.

Obama was the center, as corporate a Democrat as you'll ever seen. He didn't indict a single person on Wall Street after that 2008 fiasco. What did Republicans do? They painted him as some left wing fringe foreigner who was trying to bring down America. You can't rationalize with people who are either so stupid or that power hungry that they'll attack the foundations of our country for political gain.

superfob, mdrowe00 and biff17 like this.
  7. mick fry

mick fry Member

We got Nook spewing the truth and I even liked a Comets post. I’m getting light headed, gonna go lie down.

BruceAndre and TheresTheDagger like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

I'm not really talking about politically conservative people. I am mostly talking about a-political or voters that do not lean strongly one way or the other. A lot of the people I come across do not value politics highly, and usually watch the news and perhaps that is it. So while there is a racist element in what Trump says, and no doubt there are voters that buy into it......... there are a lot of voters that really do not. They simply tolerate it because they don't like the Democrats position and believe that Trump is at least considering their concerns.

I have come across a lot of people of mixed ancestry in places in the Midwest despite what he says about immigrants or other groups. Their motivation is financial and what they believe is best for their families.

Whether Hispanic immigration (illegal and legal) has or has not caused lower wages is in some ways irrelevant. A lot of these blue collar workers have seen their jobs evaporate or be filled by someone that is Hispanic at lower wages. I've heard this a lot from construction workers and other manual labor workers. They also think the government just let the factory jobs go overseas. They base this on their own observations in many ways, as they often times are not deeply into politics.

It really would not be hard for Democrats to make inroads in these communities. Contrary to what a lot of people on the left think, a minority candidate could do very well with the proper message and chemistry. In many of these communities there are less white people and more a mixture of ethnicities.

People in these communities believe that Democrats are more concerned with people that are not even US citizens, and are more concerned with student loans and proper pronouns and gender issues.

I grew up in poverty in Texas. I then was very successful and it took having to go into these communities (where many clients are) and talking to a lot of people to really understand where they are coming from. Some of them are terrible people, some of them are great people but they almost all are very jaded to politics and are only concerned about what will help them right now. They view themselves as the little guy being stepped all over by Washington and California and the elite........... the Democrats have handled the blue collar worker very poorly for decades now.

9. edwardc

edwardc Member

I know not what drugs you may or may not be on to think that this jack*ss would even be thought of to be add to MT.Rushmore is just plain crazy.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The thing with the democratic party is you have to be everything for all disadvantaged people. So when one thing is at the forefront during any particular week, it feels like that is the all they are advocating for and that isn't true at all. They (at least the progressives) have been advocating and pushing for stuff that affect EVERYONE.

Saying you want people to be treated humanly at the border is not saying America is for open boarders. Obama deported A LOT of undocumented people. You don't have to be cruel when turning people away or telling them to wait their term.

When progressive push for things that will help those working class people, working class people don't believe it for some reason.

Nook likes this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Here's a question for you, and if you've already addressed it in this thread, my apologies. What is your personal opinion about the tweets made by Mr trump that is the reason for this thread's existence? You have changed the topic from trump's racist tweets to his "shrewdness" at putting those tweets out.

12. Nook

Nook Member

FWIW I am very aligned with you on the issues of science and fact and even on a lot of economic and social issues.

What I am telling you is that a lot of America, especially in places like the Midwest do not give a **** about science. It is a far more important concern to the Democratic party than it is to these voters. However, that does not mean they will not support a science based candidacy if it is packaged correctly.

A lot of middle of America does not reject facts, they simply do not care because they already have very low expectations of politicans and literally vote for who they think will screw them the least. A lot of folks will freely admit Trump is a blowhard and not a good person, that just isn't the end all/be all to them.

I think we are talking about two different groups of people. I am not talking about folks that have voted for the same party for 40 years. I am talking about people that are not political or have crossed party lines.

While the Democratic party has gone out of it's way to be more inclusive of women, brown and black people and different genders......... the Democratic party has lost touch with many rural voters and those politicians that fall within that group have started to be marginalized. I am not making a judgment if that is right or wrong. However, it is going to cost the Democrat party in rural areas and states.

13. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

It's called giddy hyperbole.

BTW I agreed with your post on the "racist" Michigan concert (at least, I think I did.) The one that wanted to charge whites more than blacks.

For all of you outraged by Trump today -- where was your outrage about that?

I guess it's fine to be "racist"/discriminatory towards white folks.

mick fry likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you, a lot of it is optics and it also requires a lot of focus and discipline at the top of the party.

However as it is, the party currently is just drifting all over the place.

I have even had some black voters tell me they do not like that the Democrats are so focused on non citizens, or in the past that Democrats are focusing on LGBT and that the focus should be on empowering other causes or groups.

DreamShook likes this.
  15. TheresTheDagger

Go look how many "Orange man bad" threads and comments we have. Take your pick of "Trump's racism" threads. It's tedious. If I wanted to debate that topic, I would join those discussions.

The topic of Trumps shrewdness politically is something I can debate that's new and fresh. It's as simple as that.

16. edwardc

edwardc Member

Yes yes i was outraged about that check who started the thread that type of BS was influenced by the current Dotus.

17. Nook

Nook Member

First, concerning AOC. I agree with her on some social issues but I do not agree with her on a number of economic issues. I do not believe that she understands economics very well. Accordingly I would not support her having much say on those topics.

Having said that, there is no question that the congresswomen (and Warren and Sanders) are far more concerned with corporate influence than anyone else on either side of the aisle. That is very true, and they should be commended for that. However, that isn't going to be something that is going to resonate with a lot of folks in the Midwest. The thought process never gets that far. They are not concerned with economic studies, they are concerned with what they see around them, and that is what impacts their positions in many ways.

I don't doubt that the media has influenced me. However I do not believe this is a matter of me being indoctrinating me. Hypothetically, if it HAS then the democrats have to find a way to appeal to the rural and Midwest voter regardless.

I don't think I said the women are bad for the country. Are they bad for the Democrats election chances? Yeah, in 2020 I think so. I do not agree with them on all their positions and they are more radical than most of the Democrat party.

You also are making the mistake of seeing this as "good" or "bad" and that isn't what it is. You will never hear me say that Donald Trump is a good man or a better person than let's say Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren. This is about winning elections and looking at how certain important demographics are being targeted and the failure of the Democratic party to capture blue collar voters is the fault of the Democratic party and nothing more.

mick fry and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

He is politically shrewd. He can be reckless and may ultimately destroy himself........ but he is shrewd, he isn't stupid and he does what he does for reasons...... are those reasons pure? Absolutely not, but he is a politician and being a shitty person doesn't mean a death sentence.

19. adoo

adoo Member

au contrare, the Econ major from BC understands economics quite well, as attested by Larry Kudlow, Trump's senior Econ advisor.

just because AOC's perspective is different than yours doesn't means she lacks economic nuance.
    it is a generational thing, a millennial vs. a baby boomer

20. biff17

biff17 Member

Why doesn't Biden fit this criteria?