1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump's coronavirus response

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

As a teacher, what's the point? School's almost over. We just turned in grades for our last progress report. There's 3 weeks left in our last grading period. I've been told not to create any more content for online learning after next week and to turn my focus to helping kids complete assignments I've already made.

Kids haven't been physically in school for 7 weeks. Let's say they want to re-open the schools, it probably wouldn't happen until after next week so that would be 9 weeks out. Kids coming back at that point would be like the beginning of school after summer break (which lasts for 10 weeks). Nothing truly productive happens in the first couple weeks of school because kids (and teachers) are getting over "summer brain" and getting re-acclimated to being in school again. There would have to be a transitional period of getting used to being back in school again.

There may be some emotional benefit to being back in school but I don't really see much of an educational benefit to coming back at the very end of the school year. And that doesn't even touch on the health risks.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Tough question. I am surprised that Trump did not completely deflect.

joshuaao, RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Hes still on about stopping it from china when it was already here and he was calling it a hoax a whole month later.

Seeing all those names on vietnam wall in dc is pretty powerful. That went on from around 1959 - 1975.

This has been going on for 2 months.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Funny thing. Those infected in NYC got the European version. We never heard Trump blather on about the European Virus or incite hate against European Americans or dis politicians from visiting Europe Town in their home towns.

joshuaao, RayRay10 and IBTL like this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Needy trump whining about not getting enough credit for something he did not do again...

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's still spreading fake news.

mikol13 and RayRay10 like this.
  8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

I thought media was fake and enemy of the people? why is he bothered about them so much

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who needs to set the example for social distancing and safety guidelines. Not the Trump's.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. NewRoxFan

trump and friend will hold a campaign rally together... or maybe not. Always a well-oiled machine...

Trump and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis to meet at White House as states start to reopen

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/28/tru...to-hold-press-conference-tuesday-morning.html

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. NewRoxFan

12. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Well, it's cool the Governor is hanging out in Washington today. Florida just tallied their highest death total today since tracking started (83) and their numbers looking to be slowly rising back up.

vlaurelio likes this.
  13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

those dead are ONLY those who are either on their last leg or weak and sick anyway

MAGA!!!

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This man is mentally ill.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. NewRoxFan

And likely Democrat voters...

vlaurelio and RayRay10 like this.
  16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Trump was probably referring to Red October. Or maybe the US entry into the Great War?

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Don't really care what Abbott has to say about the schools. I wouldn't send my kids back regardless. Dare you to come arrest me.

Gotta say, I really hate the comparison to Vietnam or any war. This isn't a war. Who dies, how they die, why they die -- it's all very different and not comparable at all.

mikol13, T_Man and RayRay10 like this.
  18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

cool... dead is dead. one died in Vietnam and the other from covid 19. Those are the two values we are talking on the spreadsheet..not sure what metric about it you 'hate'? ..as noted that 56k number is likely a huge underestimate.

fwiw trump called it a war and its blowing past vietnam anyway

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I would say this. Thisnvirus was going to claim thousands of American lives no matter how competent Trump could have been. So if we reached 13,000 deaths we would be saying Trump allowed more Americans to die than on 9/11.

Yes, Trump's incompetence has resulted in a non ideal response. The fact that he for the first month of the virus reaching out shores started playing partisan politics and saying that the opposition party is overhyping the severity of the virus had resulted in millions of Americans buying into junk conspiracy theories and purposefully going against CDC social distancing guidelines.

But I agree with @JuanValdez. You can't compare a virus pandemic death count to a war.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member