1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Youth Taunt Native American Elder

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 19, 2019.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Never ever talk to the media in a pretaped interview. these are ****ing basics. stupid parents why would you trust these assholes after what they have done to your kid.

cml750 and mick fry like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It would have been presidential if Trump invited the children from the school and the Native American protestors while Trump could be a neutral arbiter and have a worthwhile healing and mending discussion.

But of course he chooses the most divisive route. He's not being president of his country, he's being president of his base .

3. tallanvor

4. HTM

HTM Member

The concept of a chaperone is not a difficult concept to understand.

Your preoccupation with them is. The problem wasn't the chaperones. The problem was the hate group hurling, apparently, all types of terrible remarks at the kids. The hate group should be the focus here. How the chaperones of the kids did/did not respond should not be the focus.

Like I said, and you didn't respond to, if it were a different group of kids encountering abuse from a different hate group, you would be so focused on the role of the chaperones? Give me a break. You would focus your posts on a condemnation of the hate group, as you should. "But what about the Chaperones???" :rolleyes:. I mean, c'mon.

cml750 and Os Trigonum like this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

It would be funny to say "fake news"

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

Where have I defended the other group that the covington students were having an issue with? Heck, I posted that the other group was considered a hate group by the SPLC. I simply said the chaperones should have stepped in and separated the students from the other group. Had they done that, there may have been no further incident at the Lincoln Memorial.

But, this doesn't excuse the covington students behavior towards Mr. Phillips. The chaperones should have stepped in there as well. A few simple apologies and chance for a better understanding of both would have been a much better resolution.

And also btw, I said it would have been just as offensive if a group wearing Hope t-shirts disrespecting people there for the pro-life march. Doesn't matter what t-shirts or hats they wear.

8. NewRoxFan

The chants and chops are bad enough at sporting events. Slowly I hope we can get away from them. But they weren't at a stadium filled with covington "warrior" fans cheering on their favorite team... instead, they were directing at a single Native American gentleman.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

this guy is known for exposing stolen valor

MiddleMan and Cohete Rojo like this.
  10. HTM

HTM Member

No one said you defended them. Though I haven't seen you go much out of your way to condemn them.

What is striking about your posting is how much time you spend condemning the chaperones vis-a-vis the actual hate group that was there hurling homophobic, racist and all types of bigoted things. That's the story here. Those people. Not what the chaperones of the kids suffering the abuse did/did not do.

Like I said, and which you have failed to address multiple times now, you want to sit here and tell us if this story was about a Jewish youth group being abused by neo-nazi's at a Washington D.C. memorial you would be spending your time asking, "Yea but where were those Jewish kids chaperones? They bear some responsibility here. They need to do better." Absolutely Laughable.

cml750 likes this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well that's inconvenient

12. NewRoxFan

I thought this thread was about covington school students and their offensive behavior towards Nathan Phillips? Let me take a look... yup, that's the title of this thread. Weird that is what I'd focus on.

Your whataboutism is noted though. The other group acted horribly, was disrespectful and offensive. Should have been arrested for what they did. And if you want to start a thread about that I'd be happy to criticize them there too.

How does any of these absolve the chaperones for failing to act like "responsible adults'? Or... do you think the chaperones acted responsibly?

13. tallanvor

Not only is Phillips not a Vietnam vet, hes also not a recon ranger. Hes was a fridge mechanic.

cml750 and MiddleMan like this.
  14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wait a minute... Are you serious? A fridge Mechanic? I and I think the rest of America HATES fridge mechanics. They are the devil! Chant along with me...

Down with Fridge Mechanics!

I was against the teens for mocking Native American people singing songs of peace and love, but now that I know that one of them was a Fridge Mechanic, it makes okay to be racist towards them.

15. HTM

HTM Member

I look at this story and don't give much thought or consideration to the chaperones. This is a story about a group of kids visiting some Washington D.C. landmarks and then being verbally attacked by a hate group. Whether or not their chaperones did the best job of chaperoning or not doesn't really matter to me. The story is the attack of kids by a hate group. Something pretty much everyone can denounce. I don’t read about a hate group attacking a group of kids and think, “yea, well what were those kids chaperones doing? I’m busy being pissed at the hate group.

That is the context of the situation with Mr. Philips, who apparently, as I understand it, was trying to get in between the the kids and the hate group. If some of the children did anything improper towards Mr. Philips (racially or otherwise) I think that's reprehensible as well. I'm happy to denounce it. Apparently that kid who got plastered as the face of white supremacy didn't do anything untoward though and that's a shame. Thanks media.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. mick fry

mick fry Member

Hell he can’t even play the drums.

tallanvor likes this.
  17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I pretty much agree with this. A hate group was harassing the kids. Phillips stepped in between and one of the kids who wasn't really doing anything got blamed unfairly for it. Other kids in the groups were being a-holes and racist towards Phillips.

But that is excusable because Phillips was a refrigerator mechanic. He's lucky he's even allowed to stay in this country.

IVFL likes this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wall Street Journal Editorial Board tonight for tomorrow's print edition:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-high-school-deplorables-11548202058?mod=hp_opin_pos1

The High School Deplorables
    MAGA hats, the March for Life, Covington Catholic—and the mob.

375 Comments
    By The Editorial Board
    Jan. 22, 2019 7:07 p.m. ET

Of the most culturally deplorable boxes one can check in progressive America in 2019, the boys of Covington Catholic High School have most of them: white, male, Christian, attendees at the annual March for Life in Washington, and wearers of MAGA hats. What’s not to dislike? So when four minutes of video footage emerged online this weekend showing the students appearing to harass a Native American Vietnam veteran named Nathan Phillips, America’s media and cultural elite leapt to judgment.

A short video clip of student Nick Sandmann supposedly “smirking” as Mr. Phillips banged his drum in the student’s face went viral, and instantly the boys of Covington Catholic in Kentucky were branded racists.

Best-selling author Reza Aslan tweeted that the high school junior had a “punchable face.” Former Democratic Party chief Howard Dean opined that Covington Catholic is “a hate factory.” GQ’s Nathaniel Friedman urged people to “Doxx ‘em all,” i.e., make their personal information public.

Meanwhile, mainstream news outlets published misleading accounts of what happened based on incomplete information. And pundits on the right and left rushed to demonstrate their own virtue by trashing high school students as somehow symptomatic of America’s cultural rot in the Age of Trump.

Only it turns out there was a much longer video, nearly two hours, showing that almost everything first reported about the confrontation was false, or at least much more complicated. The boys had been taunted by a group of Black Hebrew Israelites, who shouted racist and homophobic slurs. Far from the boys confronting Mr. Phillips, he confronted them as they were waiting near the Lincoln Memorial for their bus.

It also turns out that Mr. Phillips is not the Vietnam veteran he was reported to be in most stories. On Tuesday the Washington Post offered a correction, noting that while Mr. Phillips served in the Marines from 1972 to 1976, he was “never deployed to Vietnam.”

Some of the students did respond to Mr. Phillips by doing the Tomahawk Chop, and it would have been better had they all walked away. But on the whole these teenagers were calm amid the provocations and far less incendiary than the adults who taunted them and the progressive high priests who denounced them.

The new information has people who had so eagerly cast the first stones hastily deleting their tweets. Still, it is telling that some of the most disgusting tweets were the work of the blue-check elites who pride themselves on their tolerance. More surprising is the rush to judgment by those who might have been expected to consider the boys innocent until proven guilty, or at least until all the evidence is in.

On Saturday the boys’ school issued a joint statement with the Covington Diocese saying they “condemn” the students for their actions and were considering appropriate action “including expulsion.” A post on National Review said the boys might as well have “just spit on the cross.” And the March for Life distanced itself from the “reprehensible behavior” of the marchers from Covington.

Many of these early critics have now apologized or walked back their initial condemnations. But these social injustices perpetrated on social media are not so easily redressed. Covington Catholic was closed Tuesday for security reasons.

Most of those who so eagerly maligned these boys will face no lasting consequences, while the boys themselves will always have to wonder, when they are turned down for a job or a school, whether someone had Googled their name and found only half this story. This is an ugly moment in America, all right, but there are few things uglier than a righteous leftist mob.

Appeared in the January 23, 2019, print edition.

19. mick fry

mick fry Member

You are cool with the real racists and condemn the crackers, got it!

MiddleMan and Bobbythegreat like this.
  20. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

At least this article is critical of the students who did the Tomahawk chop towards Phillips and his maligned friends.

It was wrong to attack the one kid face to face with Phillips. It is also wrong to attack Phillips and the other Native Americans about there actions there. Though Phillips is fair game for being attacked because he is a fridge mechanic.