1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump to declare national emergency to build border wall

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Feb 14, 2019.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

It's going to get blasted in court imo.

Also this isn't the precedent setter for this kind of abuse. Just it may be on your mind because you care about the issue.

https://psmag.com/news/the-united-states-states-of-emergencies

JuanValdez likes this.
  2. mick fry

mick fry Member

Most definitely, which is sad. Politics before country.

cml750 likes this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Speaking of repulsive anti immigrant sentiment:

Anyone else get advertised to about this game called “Last Shelter”??

I just got an ad shown to me on Instagram for this game and the ad is literally a video of gameplay of a caravan (if you will) of un armed Brown people trying to run through this fenced area, and your job in the game is just to mow them down with a giant machine gun. Slogan of the game is “protect our land”.

What in the F$&k?? This is sick.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

5. NewRoxFan

Trump Keeps Doubling Down On The Same Failed Strategy
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-border-wall-national-emergency/?ex_cid=story-twitter

6. NewRoxFan

Lawrence Tribe corrects Maddow's blog... not simple majority, but 60 votes... would 13 republicans senators protect the constitution and country and their own branch of the government and side with Democrats?

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yep the whole country is alot better off now thanks to that 35 day shutdown.. we should have another one double the duration.. right 30%er?

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Asking border patrol agents for macro decisions about the entire Mexican American border is like asking E3 Lance Corporals in the Marine Corps who barely graduated high school about macro decisions in the Middle East.

They aren't the subject matter experts. National security experts and civil engineers are the subject matter expert here. And many of them say tech such as drones, sensors and patrolmen are more useful and feasible than a wall .

And btw
    [​IMG]

Nook, RayRay10 and Rashmon like this.
  9. NewRoxFan

trump should worry about trump calling for his impeachment...

Trump once called executive action on immigration dangerous, unconstitutional and impeachable
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/14/politics/kfile-trump-immigration-executive-action-2014/index.html

10. mick fry

mick fry Member

Figure out how 30%ers got Trump re-elected come 2020.

cml750 likes this.
  11. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I actually think that might happen, which is unfortunate. I was against executive orders that started under Obama, and I'm not a big fan of over reach now.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Well relative to other recent presidents, he had fewer.

13. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

the majority of americans are against trumps wall.

the majority of americans dont believe that the border is an immediate threat that requires a wall.

the majority of americans are against trump declaring a national emergency.

the majority of americans disapprove of trump.

the majority of americans who voted didnt vote for trump.

who is the "hostile party" again?

just admit that you hate our system of checks and balances and want autocracy.

its becoming more and more evident that the trumpublicans are the "hostile party", or as some might say "the enemy of the american people".

#93 jo mama, Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  14. NewRoxFan

A Brookings Institute Fellow (and Lawfare editor) and a Cornell law professor (and author of Congress's Constitution) chime in...

15. NewRoxFan

ted cruz shows his disdain for the constitutional as he tries yet again to help trump get his vanity wall with a repeat of a previous bad idea... having Chapo pay for the wall.

And why it is such a ridiculous idea (from April 2017)...

Experts call Ted Cruz's plan to fund border wall with Chapo's drug money 'delusional'
    Just when it seemed like Donald Trump's border wall plans couldn't get any more absurd, Texas Senator Ted Cruz found a way to take the farce to the next level with a payment scheme that analysts are calling "delusional."
    https://www.univision.com/univision...border-wall-with-chapos-drug-money-delusional

16. mick fry

mick fry Member

After watching your party stumble through the last two years and you have the audacity to say this then you have me convinced that you are not just protecting your party but actually believe it. Can’t argue with insanity.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Since when is it a "national emergency" to repair a President's bruised ego?

I hope the bolded part is true, but I just don't see it happening.

Living in Kingwood TX, I'd like to think I have a pretty good finger on the pulse of the of the average Trump voter mentality.......... For that reason, I guess I'm just not as optimistic as you guys are about 2020. If you ask the people who voted for him in 2016, they'll tell you he's doing EXACTLY what they wanted him to do - PISS OFF THE LIBERALS!!!!111. That is literally the only thing the majority of his supporters care about. As long as he keeps doing that, he'll get their votes again.

The sellout repubs will line up and support him once again like they did in 2016 (even if he insults their families). Still waiting for ANY of them to actually grow a pair and oppose him on anything of substance. Of course the dems will roll out another sub-par candidate, and that - combined with their usual lower voter turnout - will mean 4 more years of this nonsense.

Man, I hope I'm wrong.

18. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

yes, i have the "audacity" to state facts that you cant refute.

haha - i never voted for obama and i didnt support his presidency. im not a democrat, but trump forced me to pick sides and im voting straight ticket until the trumpublicans are washed away like the s***-stains they are.

all youre doing here is showing everyone that youre a weak-minded partisan hack who cares more about trump than the constitution.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If a president does something so objectionable that his own party wants to impeach, the opposition party should oblige them. But, we know Senate Republicans won't be leading on that subject. The Senate leader just endorsed an executive power grab that diminishes his own authority! So, to bring impeachment, you need a case so strong that selling their own mothers wouldn't be enough to stop it.
    Where border wall is built that isn't doing work, yeah I would support taking it down. One, border walls need maintenance so the more wall you have the costlier it'll be to maintain. Two, walls are a pain for lawful citizens going about their lawful activities. If they've used eminent domain to take some land from a border-area ranch to build a useless wall, take it down and give the land back. Three, walls aren't good for the environment; they cut migratory patterns and hunting ranges for animals. And four, as much as Trump says his wall will be beautiful, honestly it's ugly as hell. So, where a fence makes sense -- say on the border south of San Diego -- I'd keep it. And where it doesn't make sense, I'd take it down. And no, I don't believe in open borders. It's a pretty simple-minded framing to think you have to physically close the border to close the border.

Eric Riley, Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  20. NewRoxFan