1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Sends Unmarked Fed Goons to Kidnap Protesters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by fallenphoenix, Jul 17, 2020.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And in that same speech MLK said that riots were ultimately self-defeating and reaffirmed his commitment to non-violence.

In that same speech MLK acknowledges how difficult the path of nonviolence is but he saw it as a necessity and the only solution not just because of nonviolence for the sake of nonviolence but that ultimately both Black and White Americans had to live with each other and needed each other.
    https://www.crmvet.org/docs/otheram.htm

"Let me say another thing that's more in the realm of the spirit I guess, that is that if we are to go on in the days ahead and make true brotherhood a reality, it is necessary for us to realize more than ever before, that the destinies of the Negro and the white man are tied together. Now there are still a lot of people who don't realize this. The racists still don't realize this. But it is a fact now that Negroes and whites are tied together, and we need each other. The Negro needs the white man to save him from his fear. The white man needs the Negro to save him from his guilt. We are tied together in so many ways, our language, our music, our cultural patterns, our material prosperity, and even our food are an amalgam of black and white.

So there can be no separate black path to power and fulfillment that does not intersect white groups. There can be no separate white path to power and fulfillment short of social disaster. It does not recognize the need of sharing that power with black aspirations for freedom and justice. We must come to see now that integration is not merely a romantic or esthetic something where you merely add color to a still predominantly white power structure. Integration must be seen also in political terms where there is shared power, where black men and white men share power together to build a new and a great nation.

In a real sense, we are all caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. John Donne placed it years ago in graphic terms, "No man is an island entire of itself. Every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main." And he goes on toward the end to say, "Any man's death diminishes me because I'm Involved in mankind. Therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee." And so we are all in the same situation: the salvation of the Negro will mean the salvation of the white man. And the destruction of life and of the ongoing progress of the Negro will be the destruction of the ongoing progress of the nation."

Yes it's understandable that people are angry and want to F^9& Sh^t Up. Picking up a bottle and throwing it, breaking a glass window and torching a building is easy. It's much harder to make a stand facing hoses, armored LE, and rubber bullets while committing to nonviolence is very difficult. If we're going to get beyond the cycle of violence it is necessary.

2. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

It's a tough question about non-violence. The U.S. has the biggest military by far and totally believes in violence as a solution to problems.
    MLK was killed by violence. You can say he got the victory; but in a way he lost (his life) too.
    Funny thing about killing: the victims always disappear from Earth, while the killers sometimes stick around. After a while, the killers add up, still walking the Earth, while the victims keep being 0 underground.
    We can tell the American-Indians non-violence is good. . . . Did they win the moral victory?
    You got over 300 million (civilian) guns in America. I think that fact has violence built into it. America does not have a non-violent option.

Nook likes this.
  3. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

And still at least 40% of the country cheer him on. Sickening really.

DVauthrin, RayRay10 and Deckard like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://theglitteringeye.com/for-want-of-a-nail/

excerpt:

I’m of mixed minds about the “authoritarian” use of force against rioters tearing down barricades and setting fires, including setting fire to a federal courts building, in Portland. I’m very outraged that the federal government, apparently, has scores of special incident law enforcement units. I don’t think it should have any. Law enforcement including the enforcement of federal law is up to state and local governments. But that, apparently, is no longer how our system works and it hasn’t worked that way since before I was born.

I’m very outraged that state and local officials refuse to enforce federal law. That will inevitably lead to many other outrages. I’m very outraged the state and local officials are not exercising their most basic responsibility of protecting public and private property and lives.

I’m very outraged at mass demonstrations since I believe they’re inherently authoritarian. The demonstrators should be organizing politically. That is how things are done in a representative democracy governed by laws. And before you bring up the Boston Tea Party that was against an authoritarian government not against a representative liberal democratic one. The demonstrators in the pre-civil rights South had no other alternative—they were being denied their voting rights. When you take to the streets, destroying property and generally imposing your will on other people, in opposition to a representative liberal democratic government, how can it be other than authoritarian?

I’m very outraged that as many of the demonstrators are prepared to fight and setting fires, setting off fireworks illegal under Oregon law, throwing bottles, tearing down barricades, and injuring law enforcement officers by shining lasers into their eyes. Does anyone really doubt the federal courts building in Portland would be destroyed without protection? And then when destroyed there would be complaints that the lack of availability of a federal courts building placed an undue burden on the poor?

I’m outraged that people are claiming that there’s no way of identifying the federal law enforcement officers in Portland when there clearly is—identifying numbers. Chicago police officers don’t wear their names on their uniforms, either.

I’m outraged that people are more concerned about the putative rights of people engaging in unlawful demonstrations while ignoring the rights of ordinary law-abiding citizens. I’m outraged that people are willing to let those law-abiding citizens who, literally, have no recourse, “stew in their own juices”.

So you can see my conundrum. There are so very many things about which to be outraged.​

tinman and RayRay10 like this.
  5. edwardc

edwardc Member

And this is 45 MAGA
    [​IMG]
    Worst Potus Ever

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Dude is just using his social distancing stick to keep at bay some numb-nut who doesn't know how to wear a mask.

jiggyfly, NotInMyHouse, Nook and 3 others like this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. edwardc

edwardc Member

LOL she has her mask on and she was social distancing at first.
    [​IMG]

SamFisher, RayRay10 and sirbaihu like this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

Won't someone think of the buildings!!!111!!!

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I reread this post and realized that the word “deliberately” had ended up becoming “deliberating,” which wasn’t my intention at all. trump is deliberately attempting to provoke violence from peaceful protestors in an effort to help his campaign for reelection. Yet another effort by trump to emulate those leaders he most admires, men like Putin and Erdogan.

I edited my original post, as indicated in the quote above, but thought it worth pointing out, again, just what the madman is busy doing.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I was joking, but she's not wearing a mask in that picture either! Wearing your mask under you nose is like wearing your pants under your dick.

NotInMyHouse, Nook, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  12. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Carmen Best is the last great hope between destruction/chaos and businesses. Seattle is a lost cause unfortunately

13. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Yea she’s doing the equivalent of stopping the virus by putting up a chain link fence to stop mosquitoes. She might as well be working

edwardc likes this.
  14. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I have to agree that guns are a sign of one of two things:
    1) fear
    2) criminal intent

You know what they say about small dicks and guns. Maybe no dick in this case.

edwardc likes this.
  15. edwardc

edwardc Member

I know right lmao.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

bye bye supersonics

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It makes absolutely no sense. The feds went into portland to protect a courthouse that didn't need protection at the time - and instead have escalated a situation that was on the way to calming down by engaging and inflaming protestors. This was politically calculated to create more disorder not less.

And now we are seeing that what is happening in portland is spreading and will justify sending more federal agents to other cities to continue the escalation.

It's dark, Orwellian, and let's all hope that this strategy will fail.

DVauthrin, Deckard and RayRay10 like this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good to see that there are some here who understand what is going on.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

He told Seattle Business Owners, It's basically Ghostbusters 2 for them!

Too hot to handle, too cold to hold
    They got to call the Ghost busters cause there's no police in control
    Not safe at all for a bunch of children
    While looting and robbing is in the building

@RayRay10

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. tinman

Supporting Member

Wow the Seattle business owners have a sign that says

RayRay10 likes this.