1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Sends Unmarked Fed Goons to Kidnap Protesters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by fallenphoenix, Jul 17, 2020.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What evil and disgusting rioters.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Are you claiming a moral equivalence between DHS officers protecting a courthouse and the CCP?

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If you believe all DHS is doing is protecting courthouses, a boot is fully entrenched in your mouth.

Nook and dobro1229 like this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Moral is a big stretch at this time. But... there is a similarity in being a secret police force.

China opens Hong Kong headquarters for its secret police

Beijing imposed the new law on Hong Kong last week targeting acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and foreign collusion, in response to huge and often violent democracy protests that erupted last year.

The law is the most radical change in Hong Kong's freedoms and autonomy since Britain handed the city back to China in 1997.

Similar national security laws are used to crush dissent on the mainland and police in Hong Kong have already arrested people voicing certain political views now deemed illegal, such as advocating independence or greater autonomy.

Among many precedent-setting provisions in the law is authorisation for China's security agents to work openly inside Hong Kong, with powers to investigate and prosecute national security crimes.

Until now Hong Kong's own police and judiciary had complete jurisdiction over the semi-autonomous finance hub.

But China argues national security is the responsibility of the central government and says the law is needed to restore stability.

On the authoritarian mainland, China's secret police are the spear tip of a highly efficient and ruthless security apparatus that pursues critics and scrubs the public sphere of dissent.

In his speech, Luo rejected criticism of the mainland legal system, saying "the Chinese mainland has a healthy legal system and a sound environment for the rule of law".

Observers have regularly raised concerns about due process in the country, where the courts have a conviction rate of about 99 percent.

RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  5. adoo

adoo Member

could this be a precursor to election day,
    when Trump's storm troopers start arresting people of color at voting locations to prevent them from voting?​

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  6. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Far too extreme...don't see it happening but then again it's 2020.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On some level yes. In both HK and with what's happening here in America I've said that I'm very concerned about the possibility of a blood bath and that in both cases I think that national authorities should stay out of the situation. Actions by national authorities of show's of strength and taking people into custody against the law (that law has been changed in HK now) were making the situation worse and not better. Again what happens in HK isn't abstract to me. I have family there and I was there back when protest started up again in December. As someone who was in the midst of the worst of the George Floyd protests here it's not abstract either.

Is the US government the same as the CCP not it's not. Is it acting and adopting the rhetoric and some of the tactics of the CCP yes it is. You might not realize it but you are parroting the arguments too of the CCP. All of your criticism of the what's happening in Portland and other cities is only on the violence and the damage cause by the riots. You're not addressing any of the underlying causes or grievances. That is exactly what the PRC and pro-Beijing people in HK say about the HK protest. In fact some of you and others comments about Portland sound almost like a verbatim translation of pro-Beijing rhetoric. "This is a riot not a legitimate protest led by spoiled children who are violent, dangerous and want to divide the country." That sound familiar?

RayRay10, Nook, Amiga and 1 other person like this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll make one more point too. During the height of the Pro-HK protests in HK while the PRC made shows of forces PRC forces didn't actually act openly on the street in HK. While there were many rumors that PRC military police were secretly acting wearing HKPD uniforms or unmarked uniforms (sound familiar?) there wasn't direct proof that they were and the PRC officials denied that they were.

Meanwhile Trump and Chad Wolf brag about sending Federal Authorities in and that they are there in unmarked uniforms.

RayRay10, Nook and Amiga like this.
  9. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

What's really distressing to me is we've got Republicans loving Big-Government military occupation and Democrats loving the FBI and CIA. I'm sure law and order wins in November!

Nook and Invisible Fan like this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Interesting op/ed. I wasn't a fan of DHS when it was created by a president from a "small government" party. How about we roll back the clock and apply reforms based off lessons made from the 9/11 commission? Also roll back the national spying apparatus Snowden and many others risked their livelihood and safety to warn Americans about.

...What are my other 2 wishes?

[newyorker]Homeland Security Was Destined to Become a Secret Police Force

RayRay10 and Amiga like this.
  11. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

So true. I lived in China, and I happen to know, the CCP invented the exact same word, which I have hated since 1990 when I learned it: 我国. It means "my country," and it has that same McDonald's-fart staleness of the word "homeland" in English. So, Republicans and Communists are into the "homeland" idea.

But what does it really mean though? Let's learn from the Chinese people, not the Chinese government:

Chinese people are Chinese because of the land, the homeland, not the government. Not one Chinese person in the world thinks China began in 1949. Chinese have an identity separate from their government, connected to the Chinese land. We don't, but we should.

The American homeland means: if you live on this land, you're American. If the U.S. government disappears, we're still American, the way Chinese will always be Chinese. So, DHS, army men, red team/blue team: we don't need you to make us American. Americans are people with roots in this land, not in the federal government.

P.S. this

#431 sirbaihu, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    DVauthrin and Nook like this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Permanently blinded?

Really?

RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Did the knife dull or is the butter frozen?

Who could not have seen this coming?

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What Democrats are loving the FBI and CIA?

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

The ones who cheered on that reckless fruitless three-year Russia investigation that almost kept us heedless right up until the coronavirus reached our shores. The ones who support the "Intelligence Community" (what a name!) circumventing and undermining the president of the United States. I remember the NYT report of the "Intelligence Community" (they're really intelligent, you know) committing acts of sabotage on the Russian power grid without consulting the president, because, you know, he'd say no if they asked him. Democrats supported that, and Democrats are generally down with the "Intelligence Community," (maybe coz they bake cookies and play hackysack over there, in the "community," of eggheads?).

Where is there any provision for the FBI, CIA, DHS, ATF, NSA, etc in the Constitution?

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you got nothing and are equating things to make a point.

Cool you go with that.

Where is education mentioned in the Constitution?

RayRay10 and edwardc like this.
  17. edwardc

edwardc Member

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

if you find yourself throwing fireworks at fellow citizens (or siding with those that do), ask yourself, "are we the baddies?"

19. wompwomp

wompwomp Member

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That is such an inspiring sight. Love to see it.

RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.