1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Positive for Covid-19

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Deckard, Oct 2, 2020.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

was that wrong?

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What do you think? Honestly I want to hear your answer.

3. basso

Supporting Member

He was correct it came from China. it was a clever, but imprecise jeu de mot.

Was Kung Fu Fighting racist?

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes when used to disparage people of Asian descent. Most of whom don't do Kung Fu or are even ethnic Chinese. This was also at a time that there were increasing attacks on Asian Americans, most of whom weren't ethnic Chinese.

Again if you think using a term like that is clever and without consequence I suppose you would be fine with calling Monkeypox "Coon Flu".

FranchiseBlade and TheJuice like this.
  5. basso

Supporting Member

yours is the first reference I've seen to Coon Flu.

perhaps you circulate in different circles.

you're assuming motive, with no evidence. also, the increasing attacks on asians...might be accurate, but I'd like to see some unbiased stats.

reprehensible, if accurate, but I sense more anecdote than evidence.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I suppose you consider it a clever bon mot.
    There's been plenty of evidence that attacks on Asians are increasing. There is a rather long thread here documenting it.
    Here's a link that came up at the top of Google searches documenting it.
    https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10.1377/forefront.20220411.655787/
    From the article:
    "The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has documented a 77 percent increase from 2019 to 2020 in hate crimes against Asian people "

From the same article:
    "Asian Americans largely feel scapegoated and blamed for the COVID-19 pandemic. Roughly two months after the first confirmed COVID-19 case in the US, 60 percent of Asian Americans reported having witnessed someone blaming people of Asian background for the coronavirus epidemic. This was a time when President Donald Trump regularly and directly blamed China for spreading COVID-19."
    In fact (and this is proper use of the term) I can attest to being accused of spreading COVID.

Again though if you really want to continue to argue that "Kung Flu" is just a clever turn of phrase and that Asians haven't been attacked more recently then go ahead and push that.

#1686 rocketsjudoka, Jul 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

The OG killer virus is extinct now. Im maskless everywhere I go like everything is back to normal. If you want to celebrate go ahead but he's not going to die and if he does it's not like he's our cult of personality. We will be fine. Also, Covid just ran through my household and sans my son it was kind of a non event and now everyone is good. Covid is over as far as I'm concerned.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I didn't mention the "lab leak" theory, although I can't dismiss the possibility. My anger with the Chinese government is for a host of reasons, but as far as Covid is concerned, it pisses me off that seemingly every animal existing was allowed to be sold in their markets. Bats are well known to be a carrier of disease, yet their sale was allowed so that a few could satisfy their bizarre culinary desires.

Clearly, Covid came from China. Whether it was the reckless sale of wild creatures in the markets of Wuhan, or an accidental leak from the laboratory there, and there is a biological research lab in Wuhan associated with the military, what was the reaction of the CCP? Flat denial that Covid came from China, whatever the reason for it's existence.

Xi's government never takes responsibility for anything that happens there that has any chance at all of reflecting badly on the Party and Xi himself. That's true for anything that happens in China, as well as anything happening outside the country associated with the CCP. It's a bit psychotic, in my humble opinion.

9. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Neither country would like it...but the US is in a unique position to push for a two-China resolution. And we should

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[/QUOTE]
    And that is the end to the replies from @basso

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

If Biden died it wouldn’t bother me. But I don’t obsess over him like our republicans obsess over their leader trump.

12. basso

Supporting Member

[/QUOTE]

correlation is not causation.

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Except when people literally say that they are attacking someone because of COVID. I have first hand experience with this. Someone that I've known for awhile, a white middle aged woman FYI, asked me if I was responsible for bringing COVID to America because I had been in HK New Years of 2020.

My experience is just one of many and many Asian Americans have similar stories.

TheJuice likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This is largely my own view and have strongly criticized the poor standards of Wet markets in the PRC along with the wild animal trade. If you've ever seen a wet market in a city like Wuhan, you would understand how easily it could be for a novel contagion to spread from animal to animal and to humans.

The problem that I have is the view that Chinese people are somehow callous or evil to have deliberately spread this virus. That they are so conniving they would attempt to launch a worldwide coup using COVID-19 as the means. None of that makes sense.

Or that because it came from Asia that every Asian is somehow suspect as a carrier. An attitude abbetted by political leaders who insist that they describe the disease using stereotypical and derogatory language.

TheJuice and Deckard like this.
  15. basso

Supporting Member

again, this would have happened w/o Trump saying a thing. it clearly came from china, everyone knew it. pretending otherwise was not going to stop racists being racist.

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Not all racists resort to violence because of their racism. It would make sense that racist attitudes from the nation's leader might encourage more racists to engage in violence.

TheJuice likes this.
  17. basso

Supporting Member

feelings are not facts.

tinman likes this.
  18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Nor are they necessarily contrary to facts.

What is a fact is a rise of hate crimes

What is not a fact is your feeling that the racist attacks would have happened anyway.

TheJuice likes this.
  19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s racist if you call kung fu, karate
    Because karate is from Japan
    Mr miyagi
    Karate kid

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It should have been called the Wuhan virus.
    If they renamed it not to hurt feelings then rename the Spanish Flu