1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump: Media is the enemy of the American people

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Anticope, Feb 17, 2017.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd be happy with that. With all the TVs we have at work, I have to look at Sean Spicer's ugly mug every damn day.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Wow... Gingrich is supporting Trump's threat to stop doing "open" daily press briefings. The excuse? "Allows Trump's media opponents to concentrate on any and all things negative". Seriously???

Here's a better suggestion to Trump... stop doing stupid things and then lying to the press about it and the press won;t have as many "all things negative" to concentrate on. After all... is that what he is supposed to be doing?

Gingrich: Trump Team 'Dancing On The Quicksand Of The Swamp'
    http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/05/...ress-corps-no-questions-good-news-white-house

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This is a win win. The only possible losers are the 24 hour news stations.

4. NewRoxFan

How can this be considered a "win"? The press conferences allow the press the ability to ask questions and follow-up questions.

Allowing the Trump administration to simply issue a written daily report? A current example of a Trump administration written report is the daily "call out" of meetings that the President has. On the day Trump met with the Russians that daily call out failed to list his meeting with Kissinger (which was then documented with WH photographs) and failed to list his meeting with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak (the suspected Russian spy that Flynn was involved with).

Interesting to note that it wasn't until after the surprise Tass photos of the Russians' meeting with Trump that the WH released a photo of that meeting... and even then the WH didn't mention Kislyak and the photo carefully excludes his presence in the room.

joshuaao likes this.
  5. No Worries

I am not against the flow of information. I am against having a video of it.

Every weekday, Spicey has a press conference and lies his ass off. CNN et al spend hours each day showing the video and talking about the lies.

As an example, Comey firing is all about the FBI Russian Trump campaign investigation. And not about what Spicey, Pence, Conway et al said when and where.

6. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Does anyone take Newt seriously besides the 20% wing nut base? Talking about draining the swamp that he filled--zero credibility.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Getting rid of the daily press briefings would be another slap in the face for the American people, in my opinion. Sure, they're often farcical and sure, Spicer serves up an extra large portion of trump's lies during the briefings, but the briefings are not a waste of time. The questions asked by the Forth Estate can be very revealing, even if the answers are not.

8. NewRoxFan

I am very much in favor of a video. Heck, I want it live. I want to hear not only what is being said, but see how its being said. I want to see the reaction of those hearing it (the eye rolls, the double-takes as well as the chance that there might be agreement or a positive reaction).. Its all important as a record of this presidency.

What the president would prefer is a closed press conference. Perhaps with only supportive media members in the room. Before you laugh... isn't that what Trump tried before? isn't that what Tillerson does still?

9. No Worries

Cable news run videos. It's what they do.

What they don't do is actual investigative news. Does Trump have business deals with Russian expats? With money launderers? With the organized crime? He likely does but there is no easy video to show.

Instead, we get panel discussions where partisans are invited and experts are minimized or even shunned. Not news, not even close. We are all stupider for it.

Instead of covering the WH pressers, CNN could have the WH reporter stand on the WH lawn and say "At today's presser, Spicer made 59 assertions of which 57 were demonstratively false. Back you Dave". Of course CNN could then fill the rest of their time with you know actual news.

10. No Worries

You do know that Trump is a flaming narcissist?

CNN would totally destroy Trump if they stopped covering him. Trump is all about Trump.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hey, I would love for CNN to do that. Great idea! I'd still want the press briefings, though.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

according to trump, the truth is the enemy of the american people

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This is an American tradition since, what, the Harding administration? I'm shocked that more here aren't deeply disturbed by the possibility of trump tossing the daily press briefings in a dumpster. I certainly am. Perhaps it won't happen, but trump is obviously capable of anything. trump has been busy pissing on American society since he was sworn in, and so far, the Republican Congress is complicit in his madness.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Trump will never cancel the daily briefings. The ratings are too good. o_O

15. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I think what Trump means is this: media is the enemy of ignorant people.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

17. NewRoxFan

Ana Navarro is quickly becoming my favorite republican strategist...

peleincubus and B-Bob like this.
  18. NewRoxFan

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Turns out the Press Leaker ended up being Donald Trump Junior.

I guess Trump Jr. is now the enemy of the people.

20. NewRoxFan

Fox News, carrying the water for Trump and Junior...