1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump expected to end "Dreamers" program

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

President Trump is expected to announce Tuesday that he has decided to end the 2012 program implemented by President Obama that has deferred deportations for people who came to the U.S. undocumented as children, CBS News chief White House correspondent Major Garrett reports.

Earlier Friday, during the signing of a proclamation for a day of prayer for victims of Hurricane Harvey, Mr. Trump had initially told reporters that his decision would be announced "sometime over the weekend, maybe this afternoon." Later, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said the announcement would come Tuesday.

Asked whether DACA recipients, known colloquially as "dreamers," had anything to worry about, the president said, "We love the dreamers. We love everybody," and later added, "I think the dreamers are terrific."

The president is expected to end the program by not accepting new permits and by allowing existing permits to expire with no opportunity to reapply, Garrett reports, citing two Republican sources on Capitol Hill. The message from the White House to Congress is that if lawmakers like DACA, they should write legislation for it, and the White House will consider it, likely favorably.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-to-end-daca/

What happens to all those people who registered for it? The government knows all their addresses. Do they just move so the government doesn't catch them? 800k is a lot of people.

#1 Air Langhi, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Doubt he will carry though on this campaign promise. If he did it would be great as the move by Obama was a massive over reach.

[​IMG]

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I won't be surprised if he does. It would be a brutal, unfeeling, uncaring act that goes against the opinions of most Americans and a majority in Congress, in my opinion. That's never stopped the man-child ******* before.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Great for people who lack empathy. I don't know why people want to kick out people who only know this country as their home, attend school and are not committing crimes.

The only conclusion I can think of is those people are assholes.

Sorry Bandwagon, you're a ******* for wanting this to end and even more of one for using 'OBUMMER EXECUTIVE ORDER' bullshit as a lame excuse.

#4 fchowd0311, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    Yung-T, daywalker02, el gnomo and 3 others like this.
  5. Bandwagoner

The unconstitutional manner it was instituted just makes it easy to dump. I'm against it because this is a country of laws and the house is supposed to have the power to write them. I never made an excuse, just would be very happy if the executive gets a little rollback.

"people who only know this country as their home"

you know a ton about Houston right? and you were only here for your first 18 years?

6. fchowd0311

If you had empathy in this matter, you would ask for the legislation first and then the repeal of the executive order.

7. Bandwagoner

Obama did that for years and was not able to get it passed. Doing whatever you want anyways then calling the other side an a_hole isn't how the process works. The downside of it is large and obvious.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You're against because it has Obama's name on it -- end of story.

9. fchowd0311

Do you have definitive proof that Obama's executive order is unconstitutional? The executive branch is in charge of immigration enforcement and as president he can provide an executive order in setting priority to who is deported.

Do you think what the federal government is doing is wrong in terms of how they handle states that legalize weed? Selective enforcement. It has always happened and I'm fine with it when it's for pragmatic and empathic reasons.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Like many things, this issue will come down to those who think vs those who feel. Those who are ruled by emotions will decry this and make an emotional plea for this program to continue. Those who use logic and reason will think that it's a good thing this program comes to an end because it never should have existed in the first place. It's funny that the same people who would cheer Obama's executive overreach would whine and b**** if Trump did the same.....that's the kind of hypocrisy that comes from being ruled by emotion rather than logic.

TheresTheDagger and deadlybulb like this.
  11. fchowd0311

Does Bobby still believe that lacking empathy is a inherent trait of intellegence? Bobby, attend college first. You can only do so much with your high school education and enlisted career. Expand your horizons Bobby.

FTW Rockets FTW and el gnomo like this.
  12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

He kicked it to congress, and gave them time to act. He didn't end it. Congress is where this should have been handled from the beginning.

TheresTheDagger and pgabriel like this.
  13. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I thought this was going to be some kind of sob-story about how we should feel sorry for the "little man", but this caught my eye:

Sorry, I don't feel sorry for Apple's, or Tim Cook's, potential loss of their 250 DACA employees. Nor do I care about any of the profit losses other large companies may incur due to a restructuring of DACA.

14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Dumbass senator actually thinks DACA applies to children. Either that or he's lying.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

it was going to get struck down by the courts anyway, POTUS can't just proclaim a law won't be enforced

Obama said as much when he was trying to gin up turnout in the 2014 midterms, before doing it anyway after

16. fchowd0311

Umm yes it is? At the very worst it's adults under the age of 31 who've known the vast majority of their lives here(younger than 16 when entering the US). Many only know one place as home.

Can you imagine being forced out of the only country you have known as home?

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

any legalization is rewarding undesirable behavior, and only encourages more anchor babies and chain migration

perhaps after a wall is built, not before

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think that's the only way it would work. Seal the border, then talk about these kinds of things.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

This is a country of laws. That's why the prison population is gigantic. Send these people back to where they came from. Send more people to prison, less rehabilitation. More draconian drug laws. Then utopia, happily ever after. The end.

ps Jeff Sessions is my G'damn hero.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

people that can't or won't follow those laws deserve prison....