1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Excuses the White Working Class From the Politics of Personal Responsibility

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Invisible Fan, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Nook

Nook Member

This. Poor white people face poor educational opportunities, crime problems, broken homes and mental health issues just like poor black person.

Is it easier to be poor and white? In some instances yes and in a lot of situations it is likely the same.

Buck Turgidson and mdrowe00 like this.
  2. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

According to the FBI (https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u....016/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-3.xls) 2016 statistics, there were more white-on-white homicides than black-on-black homicides.

Attached Files:

Invisible Fan and mdrowe00 like this.
  3. biff17

biff17 Member

mdrowe00 likes this.
  4. biff17

biff17 Member

Nook and mdrowe00 like this.
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Murder rate

You do know there are more white people. Blacks commit more total homicide

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

There's less gunplay with the meth heads, despite having a metric f**kton of guns in the area (they steal them to trade for more meth, and they get traded for more meth and so on and so on). They'll just steal literally anything, kind of like heroin junkes in the cities.

Nobody's fighting over turf or corners or respect or whatever dumbass stuff leads to shootings. All the other horrible stuff is there but the guns. Every crime you can imagine. Gunplay would just not be tolerated, it's just a different society with different rules and resources.

#88 Buck Turgidson, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Nook likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

True... ultimately poverty is poverty. There is domestic violence, theft, drug abuse, hopelessness, irresponsible parenting, pedophilia and all the other social ills.

Being black in America (really most of the world) has its own unique hurdles but there is this idea that if you are white or Hispanic and poor it is a cake walk- it isn’t. The reality is the poor are treated like trash and I don’t care if the buzzword is “ghetto” or “white trash”.

FWIW I travel a lot and have lived in Europe and it is no different over there. Europe likes to look down upon the USA as if they are this wonderful enlightened part of the world... and there is ever bit as much poverty and racism/sexism.

That doesn’t excuse it here.... it just means it is a world problem 100% created by people.

joshuaao, Buck Turgidson and mdrowe00 like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Oh I'm not excusing anything, anyone or anywhere. Just pointing out that things are different all the world over, like you said.

Europe and South America have the worst "ghettos" that I've ever seen.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I generally agree, and I might not have visited as many cities, but I felt that Western Europe is more proactive about containing poverty and mental illness driven homelessness. They aren't perfect but some of their cities actually feel safe enough to walk around after midnight.

I also admired the idea of set hours and months worth of vacation time.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Here you go: https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/cv17.pdf

They have a methodology for caculating a crime prevalence rate from the victim's POV, which is a percent of people over 12 that were victimized in the last year. Table 12 shows it at 0.96% for whites in 2015 and 1.17% for blacks in 2015. There is a closer spread in 2017, but with a footnote that makes you wonder if its a statistical outlier. Table 8 gives a crimes-per-thousand view that looks similar as well as a table of crimes-per-thousand by household income, where you can see a strong correlation between poverty and victimization. So short version, yes, blacks deal with more violent crime (as victims at least) than white people. Hard to say from this, though, if poor black people are victimized more than poor white people (but I'm guessing yes).

EDIT: And here's another interesting victimization link, looking particularly at murder -- blacks suffer murder at significantly higher rates than any other race: https://www.prisonpolicy.org/blog/2018/05/03/homicide_overtime/

#92 JuanValdez, Sep 4, 2019
    RayRay10 and pgabriel like this.
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I didn't mean to focus on murder but the stats are easy to dissect. People aaked for stats an i gave them the moat obvious

My point about crime an stats isnt about victims as much as disfunction

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

A mentorship program is something i agree with or assigning social workers to homes that could identified as troubled by a set of metrics

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well I think you're right about that, but that you do see the reflection in crime and victim statistics. The best thing I could find on offenders unfortunately stops in 2008, but it shows the same story on offenders as victims -- that blacks commit homicide at much higher rates than whites (see figure of this report: https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htus8008.pdf). Posting because people are asking you to defend this assertion you made that poor white communities don't deal with the level of crime that poor black communities do. I think you're obviously right and the statistics are there to show it so I'm not sure why people are arguing with you about that other than to argue. Posts would be better spent arguing over why it matters.

pgabriel likes this.
  15. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

My fault. Misunderstood the conversation and was trying to provide data based on what I thought was being asked.

pgabriel likes this.
  16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If a white person murders another white then strong feelings of hatred are probably involved. Black on black violence represents a self hatred as a whole of each other or lack of value of each other's humanity.

Thats an even deeper subnet than disfunction. Its something unique to blacks in this country

#97 pgabriel, Sep 4, 2019
  17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Asking random people what they think isn't proof of anything. It is in fact ignorance. So post your statistics.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Do you have the stats on this or is this another ask a random person type assertion?

I asked a random person and they said all murders have some aspect of a devaluation of each other's humanity.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Do you think a random white person right now know's someone involved in an opiod related murder

You're white right. We are in the opiod epidemic. Do you know of someone involved in an opiod related homicide?