1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Declares Drug Cartels Terrorists

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by B@ffled, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Well, I think we still have the Taliban designated as terrorist and we have spent quite a bit, just some trillion over there and we still have our military there yet Afghanistan and the Taliban now own 80% of the world opium production.

Declaring the drug cartels as terrorists sound tough and all but isn't it likely just a continuing of the massive failure of the war on drug, under a cooler and shinier label? If we have repeatedly fail including in Afghanistan against a terrorist group using the might of the US military and the coffin of our Treasury, why should we think it would succeed now?

Nook, KingCheetah, da_juice and 2 others like this.
  2. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Is doing nothing the better alternative? Let's divert the resources we spend in Afghanistan, etc.. and help our neighbors help themselves. We've got a big trade deal looming if congress will get off their ass and do pass legislation. And if we can move more production into Mexico and out of China, that's a win. The only way this is a bad idea is if it's half-assed. But if this wasn't half-assed then how on earth is this bad?

3. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Everything is half assed...we can't even legalize ****ing mar1juana federally. If we were serious about fighting drug addiction we'd start at the source. The Sackler family would have assets seized, jailed without bond, and tried as a start.

DaDakota, Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Obama doesn't get enough credit for securing the border from cartel violence. His administration started with the Fast and Furious gun investigation and its unfortunate a border patrol agent was shot but the border was out of control under Bush. The Republican criticism of Fast and Furious was weak opportunistic political theatre.

Unfortunately all the violence was just pushed further south but we cant do anything but secure our border. No one has mentioned the cartel ambush on the Mormon family a couple of weeks agohttps://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-50339377.

There was another big shootout last night close to Eagle Pass. https://www.dw.com/en/mexico-gunfight-near-texas-border-leaves-over-a-dozen-dead/a-51486850.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

time to legalize and regulate drugs

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Sometimes it is when you are pissing away resources. We have failed for decades. Try different things, using data and science and adjust as needed. Stop doing things that haven't worked or have made it worse, which is what we have been doing in our war on drugs.

Take most of that "war on drug" funding and direct it toward US consumption reduction. Education, rehabilitation, health services, youth building, decriminalization, anti-isolation, ...

Do use some of the tools of the state and treasury in the "fight against terrorism" toward cartels. Freeze assets and use sanction against anyone that does not freeze asset or accept or allow the use of cartels assets. Limit their spending power.

Change our gun laws to make it much more difficult to traffic guns into Mexico. A national modernized database to track every sales and movement of guns. Limit the guns and ammunition sales.

Legalize and regulate every drug, to an extent. For hardcore drugs, go ahead, legalize it and regulate it like crazy - see the Swiss and their science-based attempt to reduce consumption and help addicts through legalizing prescription heroin. A program that started in 1994 and has now been expanded to other countries including Canada.

Nook likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Going after the cartels full hog is an absolute waste of time and resources.

The cartels currently control 1/3 of the land mass in Mexico and the past three Mexican Presidents have accepted large amounts of money from cartel bosses. There is no way the US government is going to stop what happens in Mexico.

Cartel related business is one of the top 2-3 employers in Mexico. When a previous Mexican President went aggressively after the cartels it was a disaster.

The biggest drug lord in the world is still free in Mexico (El Mayo) largely due to the US and Mexico not in agreement on how to handle him.

El Chapo was arrested and there is already another boss, more violent and dangerous in his place (El Mencho).

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

One of the few things I agree with Trump about. We should spend more time and effort getting the organized crime that are actually effecting our citizens. I don't care about the drugs. I care more about the manner the cartels operate.

B@ffled likes this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure if that works with Cocaine very well, but certainly some kind of decriminalization and regulation should be tried.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

One would think with all the time they spend raping and murdering the Mexicans would have no time left for terrorizing.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  11. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I agree with what you're saying to fight the war on drugs. I'm talking about taking on the criminal organizations and treating them like you would, say Al-Qaeda. This narco state that has been allowed to grow unchecked is a threat to our national security. It always has been and it's ridiculous that the U.S. has done so little. I've always assumed the real reason the U.S. hasn't done anything is because folks in our government have had their hand in the cookie jar.

Sounds like we're probably saying the same thing. You're just very skeptical....and we all are, right? But if we were able to help turn our neighbor and ally into a legitimately run country, it might just be the biggest accomplishment in my lifetime - on par with the supposed end to the cold war, which I don't believe is real. The Soviets just rebranded themselves and the U.S. naively let their guard down. Communists are gonna commie...it's what they do.

12. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I agree totally. I wish it wasn't Trump that took this step because I think it will detract from the goal because of politics. If Mexico wasn't a place that families wanted to flee that would help out with the immigration issue in a way that everyone can live with.

13. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Or meth or fentanyl... Those are some nasty drugs.

14. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Totally disagree that it's a waste of time or resources - IF- the U.S. were absolutely committed to the task. If it's all lip service, then yeah...waste of time and just political manure.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They are, but the reason heroin and fentanyl boomed was because regulators started cracking down on oxycontin abuse. People couldn't get their fix and the opioid crisis went nuclear.

The war on drugs has failed.

B@ffled likes this.
  16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Mexico is a sovereign country. Its not a failed state. Cant just walk up in there and start policing.

B@ffled likes this.
  17. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

That hasn't stopped the U.S. before has it? Don't get me wrong. I'm not advocating boots on the ground or drone operations. I also am not anti-Mexico...far from it.

18. TheresTheDagger

What would that look like in your view?

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

a lot like how we sell and regulate alcohol, with the same accompanying benefits e.g., reduced crime, reduced criminal violence, etc. Put the money spent "fighting" the drug war into drug rehab and treatment

20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Lol.. we launch special forces raids into Pakistan without permission and they have nukes.