1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump cabinet selections and appointments

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

2. Nook

Nook Member

She isn't casually throwing around charges of racism.... she has gone out of her way to demonstrate that Sessions has a history of such behavior.

Yung-T and Ottomaton like this.
  3. hlcc

hlcc Member

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd like to see a privatization of schooling, but not to for-profit schools. There is already a large industry of non-profit private education that is highly motivated by their education missions. We don't need a profit motive here. Non-profit education can be harnessed for a well-conceived voucher system.

dmoneybangbang, RocketWalta and Nook like this.
  5. JuanValdez

The headline I saw on TV was that he is now removing himself from consideration. I also saw something about him being "too tired."

Nook likes this.
  6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Well that's his story. He didn't have the votes. Supposedly he had 4 Republicans ready to vote no with 10 more being undecided. He was toast and wouldn't have survived. The Senate cancelled the hearing before he even withdrew. The Republicans knew he had no chance.

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Don't expect it was the hiring of an illegal alien that knocked him out but rather the spousal abuse moved four republicans to vote no. the republican caucus then asked Trump to withdraw his name...

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Understood. That's why I posted it.

However, his satirical "facts" are as truthful as Trump's alt-facts so who's to say, right?

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What we need to do, JV, is the opposite. We need to spend far more on public education. We need to pay teachers a high enough salary to retain the good ones, who quit, far too often, because they can make a lot more money in the private sector, and not as teachers (and working fewer hours). Both of our kids went to the magnet high school here in Austin, got a superb education, and are doing extremely well. Why aren't ALL our public schools giving that level of education to their students? It is expensive. You can't produce a good education for kids in today's America by trying to do it on the cheap, and that's certainly what Texas has been doing. In my humble opinion, of course. Full disclosure - I come from a family of educators, both university level and in the public schools. Most are retired now. The younger ones in my extended family had no interest in earning peanuts for a job that requires a huge commitment of time and effort, much of it unpaid. Texas is worse off for it.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Great start for the Trump Administration.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

We actually spend a lot per student.... more than most other developed countries. The issue is we are spending more on administration and other things not related to the classroom. I agree that teachers should be paid more and I think we should bring back after school programs since we have more working and single parents today.

12. MexAmercnMoose

i think both of you bring good points...in regards to JV, good examples of charter non-profits include YES Prep and KIPP...they keep the public education system in check...like you said, we need to increase funding for our public schools, especially teacher pay...another point is dealing with Teachers Unions, from numerous discussions with educators/teachers, it seems as if there are a lot of administrators/teachers that are just there to get a paycheck and do not care about the kids

13. JuanValdez

I really agree with pretty much everything in your post, and I don't see it as the opposite of anything I'm talking about. I think you can have robust investment in education, fair pay and respect for teachers, and everything else we want from our education system with privatization. Now, this is not an endorsement of anything DeVos or Republicans generally might be considering. Honestly, I have don't have nearly enough trust in them to do an education privatization in a socially responsible manner. But I do believe in the power of free markets, I have seen the benefits of creating them (I work in such an industry), and I think it can actually do us a lot of good if done right.

But yes, given our current governmental approach to schooling, I agree with you that Texas doesn't invest nearly enough. Our approach wastes a lot of money in inefficiency, but we'd still be better off paying what it costs than going without. Our politicians would rather give taxbreaks to homeowners. Alas, I probably will not get any of the things I want in this area.

Deckard likes this.
  14. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

As a native American she is a minority and has had so many challenges in her life so truly understands
    the pain......eerrrrrrrr whoops.

I love how the democrats are a bunch of spoiled white people calling everyone racist and wishing they
    were a victim.

Pocahantas is a fraudster!

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Sessions is emperically/objectively a racist. Replace 'is' with 'was' if you are sympathizer of the Cheeto in Cheif.

16. NewRoxFan

Trump announced

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/...nder-acosta-as-labor-secretary-nominee-235089

The only real blemish... he cut a deal with a Trump friend accused of having sex with dozens of underage girls:

The creepy part:

17. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

The fact that parents are the key determining factor in how kids perform in school needs to be proven out with metrics? My children went to a magnet school that was in the poorest part of town because it was the best public school available. It was the oldest and crappiest school building in the district. There was a bright shinny new school within a half mile that was the regular public school in this same very poor area. My wife was the nurse at that school.

All you need to count to know why one school had great test scores and one didn't was the number of "parents" that showed up for parent teacher night. At the magnet school, you couldn't find a place to park for a three block radius. At the regular school you could park at the front door. The parents didn't care and neither did the kids, why would they?

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

While I disagree with some of your post, I certainly agree with the need for parents to be involved. The magnet high school my kids went to in Austin is in a lousy part of town, lousy probably being an understatement. It is in Northeast Austin, completely across town from where we live in SW Austin. An hour bus ride each way from our house. Not only do the parents need to be involved, the kids have to want it.

My oldest came home from grade school one day during his last year there before middle school, and declared that he wanted to go to the magnet middle school (there was 1 then, there are at least 2 now, with different focuses). Someone with the magnet middle school was going to different grade schools giving talks to the 5th graders about the magnet program. We hadn't even considered it. Just unaware, I guess (this was years ago, my son is 25 now). So we looked into it. You had to apply and write an essay on why you wanted to go there. We got involved, of course. Best decision we could have made. We didn't have to pay a small fortune for a private school, and their education (both kids ended up going to magnet schools), in my opinion, stacks up well with any private school in town.

19. JuanValdez

I wouldn't say bad-school parents don't care, but I think you're right the difference in performance is the involvement of parents. But there's correlation between wealth and involvement. My own kids' school has a lot of stay-at-home moms. They're great for volunteering at the school, being chaperones for trips, for doing stuff with kids after school, for serving on the PTA and attending meetings. And they have the money to donate to the PTA to supplement the school budget to prevent it from suffering from Texas' budget cuts. Schools that have families that can't afford to have one parent not work don't get those soft subsidies. And families that are in a bad place -- struggling with money, or addiction, or serious illness, or whatever -- may not have the personal resources be involved with kids, much less schools, and get defaulted to whatever sad sack local school they happen to be near. And, I love my magnet school, but it also is siphoning off the best families from the system. Parents with the inclination and resources to be engaged on the kids' education will seek out private and magnet schools, or move to the right zone. The peer group of the schools they leave behind are degraded by losing their best students, and lose support by losing their best parents. Having more funding is a poor substitute for having smart, engaged kids and helpful families.

Deckard likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan

Scott Pruitt just confirmed to head up the EPA, and...

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/140...cott-pruitt-next-week-senate-confirmed-anyway